• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer's 2013 Glog - Last Harvest/First Sauce

I haven't done a grow log before, but thought I'd give it a try this year. I'm growing mostly super hots, so I feel like I'm already behind schedule. Anyone know where January went? No pictures yet, I'll add some later when things (hopefully) start popping.

My setup is a basic home-made 2-tier 1" PVC plant stand. Each tier can accommodate 4 standard 1020 nursery flats and has three 2-bulb T-12 4' 40W fluorescent shop lights suspended above. The bulbs are a mix of Daylight, Wide Spectrum, and Power Twist. (I can't give you a K rating on these off the top of my head.) I use heater mats to try to keep the flats in the comfort zone for germination. They are wired to a dimmer switch so I can adjust the current. Even with the dimmer switch, in the past I've had trouble keeping uniform temperature, so this year I've put a layer of aluminum foil on top of the mats to spread out the heat and a layer of kraft paper on top of that. The flats go directly on the kraft paper. If anyone has any tips or tricks for controlling the temperature of heater mats (without purchasing an expensive thermostat), I'd love to hear about it.

I use standard 1020 nursery trays with 1206 (72-cell) inserts. I filled the inserts to planting depth with Sushine Mix #1 and planted anywhere from 2 (new) to 4 (old) seeds per cell. I then topped off the trays with some peat-based germination mix. I intended to use Fafard 3b germination mix, but didn't want to open a new bag for only four flats. I had a small bag of Miracle Grow and one of Ferry Morse left over from days past so I used one of those, I forget which.

The germination stand is in a back room in the warmest part of the house. As plants geminate and become established they'll be moved, either in whole flats, or potted out separately, to a 3-tier, 5 flat/tier stand in front of a bright picture window on the south side of the house. No lights on that yet and may not need them since the window gets direct sun for several hours per day. I'll be starting a lot of other seeds besides hot peppers, so I can't just leave them on the heater mats 'til plant out.

I started four flats today, one whole flat of self-propagated, pure-strain red Bhut Jolokia and up to 12 cells each of the following (note - I prefer the term 7 Pot to 7pod, but am keeping the 7pod nomenclature here out of deference to the vendor):

(First parenthesis is # of plants from first planting on 2/11, second is # plants/# soaked on 3/4)

Red Bhut Jolokia (my own isolated) (75)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) (0)
Brown Bhut Jolokia (PL) (1)
White Bhut Jolokia (PL) (8), (15/20)
Yellow Fatalii (RFC) (11), (6/10)
Giant White Habanero (RFC) (7)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (PL) (10), (28/35)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (RFC) (14)
T. Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend Yellow (PL) (6), (19/25)
T. 7pod Congo SR Gigantic (PL) (9), (2/7)
T. 7pod Large Red (PL) (4)
T. 7pod Large Yellow (PL) (1)
T. 7pod Brain Strain (PL) (10), (2/9)
T. 7pod Brain Strain Yellow (PL) (4), (11/12)
T. 7pod Brown (PL) (17)
T. 7pod Burgundy (PL) (8)
T. Douglah (PL) (5), (4/20)
T. Scorpion Butch T. (PL) (7)
T. Scorpion Yellow (PL) (18)
T. Scorpion Original Strain (PL) (1)
T. Seasoning (PL) (4)

New strains/sources started on 3/4:
Red Bhut Jolokia (PL) (45/50)
Scotch Bonnet Brown (PL) (22/34)
'12 7 Pot Yellow (RFC) (0/11)
'12 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate (PL) (0/14)
Datil (PL) (7/22)
Bhut Jolokia Orange (PL) (15/20)
T. Scorpion CARDI (PL) (7/20)
Tobago Treasure (PL) (8/20)

Started on 3/6:
Red Bhut Jolokia (own isolated) (>50)
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (CPI) (13)
NuMex Pinata (CPI) (40)
White Bullet Hab (PL) (13)

Unrecorded plant date:
Orange Hab (PL) (2)
TS Cardi (PL) (7)
Dorset Naga (PL) (5)

Started on 3/25:
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) - 8/?
Long Choco Habanero (AjiJoe) - 17/42
Pimenta da Neyde (PL) - 14/30
Giant Mexican Rocoto (PL) - 0/40
CAP 1144 (PL) - 0/21
(old) Yellow Habanero (Trade Winds) - 0/24
(old) Jamaican Red Mushroom (RFC) - 0/18
Trinidad Congo Red (PL) - 10/12
Datil (PL) - 9/22 (4 hh)
7 Pot Primo (PL) - 5/18
Early Jalapeno (PL) - 19/36
Cracked Jalapeno (PL) - 33/36
Large Hot Cherry (PL) - 33/36
Surprise Hot Mix (AjiJoe) - 97/144

Edit 4/3: add sources PL=pepperlover, RFC=Refining Fire Chiles, CPI=Chile Pepper Institute
Edit 4/3: (in blue)
Edit 4/29: Edit title (again)

I hope they turn out well.  I never found a recipe that looked exactly like what I wanted, but found one that was close.  I added some extra spices, but think now I may should have eliminated a couple, too.  We'll see.  Last Christmas someone gave me a jar of these sweet rings of fire.  It was all I could do not to eat the whole jar in one sitting.

Thanks, Scott, but no, it's more like bread and butter pickles, but with jalapeno rings instead of sliced cucumbers.  I don't why the link above has the pickled rings on a jelly page.  This is the recipe I started with, but skipped the onions and added some extra spices.  Also, the quantities as listed weren't nearly enough for the 7 pints stated, much less the 10 pints I had.  I doubled the amount of vinegar (2 cups apple cider vinegar, 4 cups white vinegar), while increasing the sugar by half.  Plan is to let them sit for a couple of weeks, but my resolve is weakening.

On the other hand, as a collector of recipes, yes, please post your jalapeno jelly recipe. 

Soon, I'm going to try making some lemon marmalade with the addition of some fatalii puree.

Thanks, guys.  And here's wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving in return!  Even if you don't traditionally celebrate the holiday, I'm sure you have something to be thankful for.  One among many, here's a picture of something I'm thankful for, my 2013 processed pepper harvest:

505som.jpg

Thank you.  Yep, busy.  And this is just the primary processing.  The coffee cans and some of the plastic containers are clean, seeded, dried pods for powders, or possibly later reconstitution for sauces.  The jars of purée should be enough for gallons of sauce, toned down for a non-chilihead palate.  The gallon bags are not-so-clean dried pods for animal repellent and other non-culinary applications. 

At least the pickled jalapenos are finished.  I opened a jar yesterday, and they are pretty good, but the spice and sweetness are a little less intense than I would prefer.  This will improve somewhat with time, but mainly, the recipe I used didn't produce enough liquid for the number of jars I had, so I topped them off with straight 5% white vinegar.  I used 1/8 tsp of calcium chloride per pint and the rings are nicely crisp.

Gonna try some jellies and marmalades today/this weekend.

I'd also like to reiterate my seed offer from upthread.  I've been in contact with a few of you via PM and think I've contacted everyone who expressed interest.  If you are interested in some seeds, and haven't heard from me, then please send a PM.  I'll be sending out seeds over the next week if things go as planned.

Thanks for visiting, and you are all welcome.  Seeds are getting packaged today, should hit the mail tomorrow.

Here's some red ripe jalapeno marmalade I made:
33jrb5c.jpg

I used powdered instead of liquid pectin, so that may be why it's not clearer.  It's got thin strips of ripe jalapeno, lemon rind, and orange ghost.  Added a teaspoon of red superhot purée to boost the heat level a little.  It is absolutely addictive on a Ritz cracker with cream cheese.  I can post the recipe if any wishes.

I like the look of the marmelade Jay... that should make a great eye-opener with your breakfast toast and coffee! The end-of-the-season shot shows you weren't just sitting on your hands for sure... ;)  If you've never tried it... make some infused vegetable oil with some dried Bhuts or Nagas. About a dozen pods in a pint of oil is about right. Just heat the oil a bit before pouring it into the jar and leave it on a sunny windowsill for a week before using. It's great drizzled on soups, vegetables or popcorn, also for making stir-fries. I used a 60/40 blend of sesame oil to Kalamata olive oil, but use any blend that suits you.

stickman said:
I like the look of the marmelade Jay... that should make a great eye-opener with your breakfast toast and coffee! The end-of-the-season shot shows you weren't just sitting on your hands for sure... ;)  If you've never tried it... make some infused vegetable oil with some dried Bhuts or Nagas. About a dozen pods in a pint of oil is about right. Just heat the oil a bit before pouring it into the jar and leave it on a sunny windowsill for a week before using. It's great drizzled on soups, vegetables or popcorn, also for making stir-fries. I used a 60/40 blend of sesame oil to Kalamata olive oil, but use any blend that suits you.
I like that idea of infused oils and may give it a try.  Problem is, I'm a big fan of avocado oil and use it for just about everything.  It has a nutritional profile comparable to olive oil and has a much higher smoke point, as high as 520ºF for refined oil.  The down side is that it is more prone to turn rancid than olive oil, so I keep it in the refrigerator.  I guess I could infuse some, then put it in the fridge. 

Cartz said:
That marmalade looks and sounds great! I'd certainly be interested in seeing the recipe (and doubt I'm the only one) :) Thanks John! 
Thanks!  I looked up recipes on jalapeno jellies (which were mostly for green peppers) and marmalades (which are all citrus-based) and came up with the following.  This is a first draft, so comments and suggestions are welcome.  I'll try to finish adding metric equivalents later.

Jalapeno Marmalade

12 oz. red ripe jalapenos w/ seeds and stems removed
2 blemish-free lemons
1 orange ghost pepper w/ seeds and stems removed
1/2 teaspoon of red superhot pepper purée
2 cups white vinegar
5.5 cups sugar
1.75 oz. powdered pectin (1 box)
5 half pint or 10 quarter pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

1.  Cut two to four of the jalapenos into thin strips about 2 inches (5 cm) long, depending on how much solids you want in the final product.

2.  Cut the ends off the lemons and using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel, trying to get as little of the white pith as possible.  Use a sharp knife to remove any pith from the peels.  Cut the peels into thin strips about 2 inches (5 cm) long.

3.  Remove the remaining pith from the lemons .  Extract the juice and set aside.

4.  Cut the orange ghost pepper into thin strips about 2 inches (5 cm) long.

5.  Put the remaining whole jalapenos in a sauce pan with about 1/2 cup of vinegar.  Heat on medium until the jalapenos are soft.  Place the jalapenos and vinegar in a blender or food processor.  Process until reduced to a purée.

6.  Return this purée to the sauce pan and add the lemon juice, pectin, superhot purée, and remaining vinegar.  Stir to achieve a uniform consistency.

7.  Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.  Add the sugar and lemon zest (peels) and stir until the sugar is completely melted.

8.  Bring the mixture back to a boil, stir in the pepper strips, then remove from heat.

9.  Ladle the mixture into jars, adjust lids, and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Notes:  

1.  To make this recipe more "marmalady", try using three or four lemons prepared as above.  I think any more than that and the lemon will begin to overpower the subtle ripe jalapeno flavor.

2.  The orange ghost pepper and superhot purée are primarily there to add heat.  Adjust these ingredients to suit your taste and tolerance.

3.  Some recipes call for apple cider vinegar.  I find in this instance, it detracts from the flavor profile and darkens the color of the finished product.

4.  One of the recipes I used as a starting point called for 6 cups of sugar.  I find that appalling, but have had trouble getting the product to jell using less than called for.  I only used 5.5 cups and the product jelled very well.  I think the recipe would work with only 5 cups of sugar.

5.  If you want a clearer product, try running the softened peppers through a juicer instead of puréeing them, and substitute an equivalent amount of liquid pectin for the powder.  If you do this, add the pectin in step 7 instead of step 6.

Excellent! An idiot-proof recipe, just the way I like them ;)

I'll give it a go as soon as I get a good set of jals ripening at once, which is hopefully not too far off. Will let you know how the recipe works out for me...thanks again!

Thanks, folks.  I took a jar of the marmalade and pickled jalapeno rings yesterday to a different bar from the usual.  This guy runs a Bloody Mary buffet on Sundays, so I thought he could use the rings for that.  The marmalade was just to share, on Ritz w/ cream cheese.  It got high marks from everyone who tried it.  People were trying to buy jars from me.  Need to plant more jalapenos next year.

I made another batch of marmalade today, this one with orange ghosts, lemon, orange, and grapefruit, and a teaspoon and a half of yellow superhot purée.
2rh41zk.jpg

I've already tried some and I think it's pretty good, too.  I decided to roast a pork loin slathered with it:
35hg2nl.jpg

It's cooking now, so we'll have to see how it turns out.  (Hope it's not a disaster!)

Finally, I mowed the part of the garden that didn't have peppers in it this year.  I thought it was about half my garden space, but now I think it's more like two-thirds.  About half of that has been fallow for a year and the other half, fallow for two years.  I'll till it tomorrow (weather holding), and try to get the last of my winter planting of alliums in the ground.  Then a really hard freeze gets here Thursday.  I heard single digit temps.

I has a turnip:
11lmyw2.jpg

Inside of said turnip:
rm1ldl.jpg

I'm really surprised it wasn't pithy.  Based on a very limited test (one of each) a few weeks ago, the golden turnips remain good longer than the purple tops.  This one is past its prime, but it's still crunchy enough and tasty for eating raw.  Most of it, though, is surrounding the roast above. 

Pork Loin turned out pretty tasty.  Some of the turnip got a little dry, but a little juice drizzled over it fixed that.
20hpzdh.jpg

24ypbfa.jpg

Back