• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SB7J Community grow.

This is where your SB7J grow goes from the seeds that I sent you. 

IesygjD.jpg

Fully understand it is an emotive subject ... we are in a way honouring Patrick by continuing to grow his creation ... I was fascinated with his story relating to "Gilligans Island" and the grass hut SB7J shape ... last season my plants also grew the "Atomic Mushroom" shape similar to Dulac and I assume many others also had different shaped pods besides the grass hut ... as long as we refer to these as SB7J variations I think we remain faithful to Patrick and not name these oddities as a different variety

Pleased to read on this forum last season that Patrick was amazed that this variety continues to be grow .. would I be right to believe we are now at the F5 stage

Trident chilli said:
Fully understand it is an emotive subject ... we are in a way honouring Patrick by continuing to grow his creation ... I was fascinated with his story relating to "Gilligans Island" and the grass hut SB7J shape ... last season my plants also grew the "Atomic Mushroom" shape similar to Dulac and I assume many others also had different shaped pods besides the grass hut ... as long as we refer to these as SB7J variations I think we remain faithful to Patrick and not name these oddities as a different variety

Pleased to read on this forum last season that Patrick was amazed that this variety continues to be grow .. would I be right to believe we are now at the F5 stage

Yup, on the F5 stage, but I also plan to go back generations to see what else grows. Referring to SB7J is important for lineage as well. I think it'd be ok to name a stable strain, and include it's a SB7J and provide information on its whereabouts in the description. I'm curious to what everyone else thinks about naming once we have unique stable strains from the SB7J.

Dulac said:

Yup, on the F5 stage, but I also plan to go back generations to see what else grows. Referring to SB7J is important for lineage as well. I think it'd be ok to name a stable strain, and include it's a SB7J and provide information on its whereabouts in the description. I'm curious to what everyone else thinks about naming once we have unique stable strains from the SB7J.

I had some funky ones (tiny, distorted) grow out last year and am not sure why. I had a variety of seed sources and don't know which grew last season. So, I'm going back to seeds you provided to me in 2012 (thanks again!). They are labelled "Patrick's SB7J Selected for 2 Generations by Dulac." Hopefully, they'll do better this season. :)

hottoddy said:
I had some funky ones (tiny, distorted) grow out last year and am not sure why. I had a variety of seed sources and don't know which grew last season. So, I'm going back to seeds you provided to me in 2012 (thanks again!). They are labelled "Patrick's SB7J Selected for 2 Generations by Dulac." Hopefully, they'll do better this season. :)

I was thinking about going back to the 2012s too, but I might not be able to fit them in this year though. NP, I think it's a good idea and hope they give you something cool. Tiny and distorted sounds like they had a disease. I haven't had any do that to me or had anyone contact me about diseased plants, so the seeds should be fine.

Edit:

Are you sure it wasn't from 2013? I recall writing "Patrick's SB7J Selected for 2 Generations by Dulac." I don't think I was mistaken about the gen count, but if it's from 2012, I was.

Edit again:
I found our pm. I actually sent them in 2014. Those are what I'm calling SB7J "atomic line" F4s, which are good stuff imo. I think I just forgot to put their temporary nickname on them, lol (I mention the nickname in pm). Sorry to hear they didn't workout for you last year.

Here is the SB7J mother plant for "atomic" (I'm growing from these again this year too):

Dulac said:

Edit:

Are you sure it wasn't from 2013? I recall writing "Patrick's SB7J Selected for 2 Generations by Dulac." I don't think I was mistaken about the gen count, but if it's from 2012, I was.

Thanks for clarifying. My mistake on 2012. I keep your seeds stored in a bubble envelope with your address and "2012" postmark. You may have sent me something previously, or simply used a recycled bubble envelope. They must be from 2013. I had some growing challenges last season, but are germinating them again as we speak. I'll follow up more via PM.

I have started a handful of them that I bought from Buckeye. I know they referenced Patrick in the description. Not sure what generation they are though. I should have a couple of hooks popping soon. I germinated them in a sterilite container and planted once the taproots popped. I'll take a picture if they've popped when I get home.

Roguejim interested to see top covering on your posted plants is that perlite ... Extensively used by British chilli growers to stop fungus gnats as they are put off by the white surface also reflects light which has shown to assist growth ... nice looking plants

Trident chilli said:
Roguejim interested to see top covering on your posted plants is that perlite ... Extensively used by British chilli growers to stop fungus gnats as they are put off by the white surface also reflects light which has shown to assist growth ... nice looking plants
Thanks, that's exactly what it is, and what it is for, although I was unaware of the light reflecting benefit.  I don't think the fungus gnats are necessarily put off by the white surface as much as they simply cannot penetrate it.  They do try, however!

Back