• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Scaling up a recipe...

Hey everyone! I've posted a few questions here so far and have had a GREAT experience with super helpful people. So.. here I go again!

I'm starting a hot sauce company. More of a chili puree really. I have only made 12oz of sauce at a time, and want to basically make about 10 gallons of it to make a couple hundred small bottles to give as samples. 

So I made a double batch the other day, thinking "hey, if I can multiply it by 2, I can multiply it by 20, 40, etc".... but I tasted it and it was kind of off.

Does anybody have hands-on experience scaling up a recipe? I'm also starting to connect with co-packers, and it would be great to be able to learn how to go from making a couple dozen oz, to a couple dozen gallons. ingredients: peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt. 

What am I doing wrong? What does NOT scale linearly? Garlic? Salt? I have everything weighed to the 0.1 oz. 

I would GREATLY appreciate any insight! I've had such a hard time finding info on this...

Thanks to everyone!

For recipes you'd be much better off using grams rather than tenths of ounces for example your .1oz on a scale could be anywhere from 1.4 grams to 4.2 grams ( 0.05 - 0.145 oz.) which can be a significant variance especially on things like salt or garlic ! - so could just be a matter of accuracy in the original recipe due to rounding.

Ah, I'm such a dope. Thank you, I will convert to grams absolutely! Thanks JDFan!!!

Otherwise, I'd love to hear an opinion on scaling up. I've definitely heard some ingredients, like salt, don't scale up exactly linearly, but I haven't found anything definitive. 

Thanks everyone.

Do EVERYTHING by weight including all dry ingredients and liquids.  A good accurate DIGITAL scale, a digital thermometer and a pH meter should be your first equipment purchases. 

Also, cooking times will be longer, especially if you cook it down for consistency.

Back