• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Scorpio Chilli's Lust

Lust Review

A little thinner than expected considering the amount of pods in the bottle. Very nice to smell; chinense dominates but the vinegar, honey, lime and fruitiness of the strawberry comes through very clearly.

Spoon test:
Sweet lime flavor right off the bat, then a sharp chinense taste right after, those both fade within a few second as the heat rips into the tip of your tongue. Forehead starts sweating immediately. With the building heat there is a nice subtle undertone of strawberry, like a fading mirage of an oasis in the distance in the blistering hot desert. Quite a pleasant refreshing surprise. Heat plateaus 3 minutes in. As I suck on my teeth I taste a slight flavor I can’t quite place, somewhat similar to tomato paste but there are no toms listed in the ingredients. Maybe it’s a combination of the malted vinegar and strawberries. Heat starts coming down at about minute 5 and is a nice warmth by minute 7. Burn stays pretty much at the tip of the tongue and roof of the mouth.

On eggs:
Sweetness doesn’t come through as strongly but the sharp chinense hits hard as ever. By sharp I mean very distinct and intense and that’s all you taste for a few seconds, similar to biting into a fresh pod. Again the nice subtle strawberry undertone. You never taste the strawberry at the fore front. It’s like the aftertaste you get after you swallow a strawberry. Lips are burning now as well but it stays at the front of the mouth.

On breakfast sausage:
Fantastic! Sweetness doesn’t come through as strongly as the spoon test but sticks around for a bit longer. Strawberry taste comes in a little earlier too but fades quicker. Chinense hit comes and goes quickly as well leaving the heat to build.

Finishing my egg and sausage meal:
Complexity changes and develops with each bite. Sometimes you get the strawberry more sometimes the chinense. Sweetness decreases with each bite. Heat is building up to extremely intense levels and the tip of the tongue and lips.

Conclusion:
Very hot sauce with several subtle complexities that work very well with each other. Would work well on neutral proteins, chicken, eggs, white fish etc. Would also work well on stronger flavored proteins that are cooked without any other seasoning. For example I think lust would taste marvelous with a rib eye or lamb chop that is just grilled with a little salt. I will try this out and update this review. I don’t know if this would be true but I feel like if it was a little thicker you’d be able to taste the subtle flavors a bit more clearly and it would stay on your palate a little longer. That may just be a personal preference as I like my sauces thick.

Heat: 8/10 (hits very hard right of the bat and builds quickly but doesn’t reach the levels I was expecting with all the super hots in it)
Flavor: 9/10
Overall: 9/10

Chers mate, thanks for the review! I'm really happy with how the 'Lust' has turned out. The way it tasted and the descriptions you gave reflect my intentions when making the sauce...Im really glad it came through! Im not sure what happened with the heat...I think sometimes with honey it can dull the heat a little...that was a concern of mine when putting honey in the mix. But overall im really happy with the sauce and glad you enjoyed it....!

Ive sold out of the first limited edition and have released a second!

Any onbe out there care to comment on the effect of fructose and other sugars from honey and fruit on chilli.

Scorp

honey / fruit etc definately mellow the heat, but thats good for the saucier Scorp. If it tastes good and they like it, use it, and finish the bottle they tend to want more. and trust me theres no business without return business.
Good review by the way.

Cheers mate...yep they've been flying out the door keeping me very busy lol! At least i get to nibble on strawberries when i cook!

You 'sauce' boys have an outlet in Jo'Burg?
naughtyt.gif

huntsman said:
You 'sauce' boys have an outlet in Jo'Burg?
naughtyt.gif

Hey mate,

No outlets but we work together at times to put packages together so you can get great aussie sauce at a cool price. If you want to chat about it drop me a pm and I can sort something with the aussie boys and gals!

dave

Back