• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scotch bonnet flowering issue

hello folks,

I have a wonderfully overwintered scotch bonnet that continues to put out new growth after several pruning sessions. Issue is that the plant puts out a lot of buds and flowers, but pollination rate is abysmal. I try everyday with an electric toothbrush, and I'm failing to see the flowers drop pollen like its smaller cousins (cayenne types) do. The anther is dark, almost black and I wonder if this is normal for these varieties. Plant has fruited in the past (just a few peppers). Pictures attached.

The plant is fed when the soil surface dries with a 5-700 ppm of balanced hydro fertilizer (flora series from GH) and kept under a LED lightbulb.

images can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/HNIfo

Another thing is you might want to try hand pollinating it between 12-3pm

I did a quick google and that is apparently when it has the most pollen on it. If you use a cotton swab can you see pollen on it?
If there is pollen or no pollen on it then you know if the issue is it not making pollen or some other issue

I don't know your location and what the weather is like where you are but if the sun is shining I would get your plant outside for fresh air allowing the pollinators to do their work. The plant looks healthy and obviously you have had pollination as evidenced by the yellow pod - repot and watch the plant fly .... if left in doors turn a fan onto it and let some air get between the branches ... all the best

Back