• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Scotch Bonnet varieties

So I guess the question is, are those other varieties classified as SB really just SB of an inferior grade or are they actually habaneros.

I guess the answer would most likely be "It depends.". Coz some undesirable sellers just try to pass off habs as SBs. And there are just lesser grade SBs out there.

Now the question is, do we know anyone who's from Jamaica and knows a thing or to about Scotch Bonnets to find the real thing? =D

I doubt any of them are habanero. There are very few real habanero varieties, and many hab-nots just like bonnets. Habs are a distict variety and should generally be orange, hab shaped, hab flavored, and originally be from the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico

Scotch bonnets should not have a hab shape but more squatty, they should have their own unique flavor, and I believe the seeds are dispursed differently(At the top of the pod) much like other Caribbean types
The ones I've grown that I believe to be true are called "True Jamaican Scotch bonnets" I also really like the Scotch bonnet TFM. Its been sort of a challenge around here to find a red scotch bonnet with consistant tam shape, yellows seem much more common.
I guess I need to make a trip to Jamaica soon so I can scout out some good pods for seeds :)

I guess I need to make a trip to Jamaica soon so I can scout out some good pods for seeds :)

that's gonna be another challenge from what I've heard, local growers there don't really grow them for the bonnet shape. they don't really select seeds from the best looking ones. they probably just pick the pods that have the best flavor and heat. which is all what I really would want from a pepper. but it sure would be nice to find a proper scotch bonnet variety.

=D

Ya, read the article in the link I provided, it talk about how the government is getting involved to keep the Scotch bonnet industry alive and how the bonnet shape is graded higher and worth more
http://www.fiery-foods.com/chiles-around-the-world/76-caribbean/88-the-scotch-bonnet-peppers-of-jamaica

Scotch bonnets should not have a hab shape but more squatty, they should have their own unique flavor, and I believe the seeds are dispursed differently(At the top of the pod) much like other Caribbean types
The ones I've grown that I believe to be true are called "True Jamaican Scotch bonnets" I also really like the Scotch bonnet TFM. Its been sort of a challenge around here to find a red scotch bonnet with consistant tam shape, yellows seem much more common.

Well that's what I would think. A true SB should at least have the proper flavor of a SB, shape would be nice too.

As some of you know the Scotch Bonnet is my favorite pepper. I fell in love with it on my first trip to Ja. That was years ago , Sun Splash was still held inna' soccer stadium in Mo-Bay. The next year I smuggled back several types. Some from the market in Mo-Bay and some from "Old Granny's" in the Green Wood Dist. Her's were called de Goat Pepper. I had always thought the name was because dem goats love fe dat tree empty. Both types had the Tam shape , but de Goat Pepper had pimples. I never thought much about . I figured "Old Granny's " looked different because of the isolation. She lives in the sticks !!

In one of POTAWIE's links they said the goat pepper was called that because it smelled like a male goat. Wouldn't know ... never hung with any goats. In Jamaica yardies have a tendency to call things what they want. I saw no real method to the madness at times.

That was a good twenty years ago when I brought those peppers back. I grew them for several years but stopped because things got crazy in my life and I stopped. Now that I got back into peppers I hate myself for not growing them all this time.

The Bonnets that I've heard good things about here , "True Jamaican Scotch Bonnets" and the "TFM" have been hard for me to get my hands on. I've seen them from seed companies but they're else where in the world. But I've been hesitant to order them because I hate to grow something and waste a year to find out it's rubbish.

Guess I'm going to send letters to Ja to find my I-dren. Over the years we've drifted apart and the letters from either of us have gotten thin. I am growing Bonnets that I like. They have the shape and taste ... but every time POTAWIE looks at a picture ...... he says .... Scotch Bonnet .... me thinks not. Look at the stem cap. POTAWIE you're a bubble buster !! But I know you are just trying to things sorted and help us. So thanks

Peace,
P. Dreadie

POTAWIE above you stated that you believe the seeds are dispursed differently(At the top of the pod) much like other Caribbean types. Here's a couple of pictures of Bonnets I gutted a few minutes ago.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

insideb.jpg

insidea.jpg

Interesting reading. :)

In fact i must admit that i had never heard of scotch bonnets before reading forums on the net...
France is not really a pepper lover country.
There's not a great choice of available peppers and few... chinense are mainly from the french west indies (Guadeloupe, Martinique) and are more habanero like.

This year i'm growing the jamaican scotch bonnet from Peppermania and it's beautiful and delicious (note that i can't compare to others, héhé).
They have a strong fruity taste with some smoky flavor, one of my favorites now. ^^
From what i've read here on the forum, the foodorama and TFM scotch bonnets are the best appreciated.
But the seeds are not always avalaible.

Here's some pics from my grow log:
jamaicanscotchbonnet07n.jpg

jamaicanscotchbonnet20n.jpg

jamaicanscotchbonnet23n.jpg

jamaicanscotchbonnet26n.jpg

jamaicanscotchbonnet18n.jpg

petitercolte02net.jpg

Hey FayahBen ..... you got a lot of nice heat growing yonder ! For a Frenchman ..... just joking

The French West Indies grow some very nice flavored peppers. Several I like a lot.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Just remember us Cajuns and Creoles like it hot. It's not that the French don't like hot peppers, it's just that most (in France) have not run into any yet. :flamethrower:

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/dispimage.pl?243673

This is listed as a Scotch Bonnet at the GRIN. It looks more annum than chinense to me. What do you think?

here are three different views of a Foodarama Scotch Bonnet I grew last year...

091509a007.jpg

091509a006.jpg

091509a003.jpg

seems like I remember posting this before but can't find the thread...

sure wish I could find some more of these...I got them from Beth at peppermaina...I talked peppers with Beth at the beginnng of this season and got the "low down" on the Foodaramas...she said they were a pepper that was obtained at a "Foodarama" grocery store...

After being around this group for a while I've read about a lot of Scotch Bonnet varieties. Many I haven't tried yet but hope to in time. For myself I'm growing mostly CCN Scotch Bonnets. Some of mine are from a super pod I saved seed from last year. CCN stock again. I'm also growing another type that I like that looks good.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

CCNSB8-25-10.jpg

SSelect8-25-10.jpg

SSelectb8-25.jpg

Sbottom.jpg

agree with P...definitely good looking pods

Back