• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Scotch bonnets, squash, mushroom,Jamaican hot etc

Well I figure we might as well start a proper thread.

I've grown so many peppers over the years labelled as scotch bonnets and many of them turned out to be C. annumms or they origninated from somewhere other than the Caribbean like Africa. Some of them turned out to be great peppers but It seems wrong to lump them all in as Scotch bonnets since this is a term associated with a certain pepper from a certain region. Even the Chocolate scotch bonnet seems a little strange to me. @#!@#SB:lol:
The "true jamaican scotch bonnet" so far is my favorite but I've got some others I'm waiting to try soon.

Anyways, I thought this would be a good place to discuss all the different varieties whether C. annuum or C. chinense, and hopefully we can get some pics from everyone. I should have some soon, and I know AJ and RB have some too:)

I don't know any more about this pepper other than the seeds were labled yellow/orange Scotch Bonnet. I guessing this one is a c. chinense because of the black pepper flavor and medium heat. I've grown Bishops Hats out of seeds labled Scotch Bonnets. Can't wait to see the diversity of this pepper name.
IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

Love that last picture. The three sections on the one and the four on the other contrast each other awesomely. I have nothing else to contribute to this thread. Later

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I don't know any more about this pepper other than the seeds were labled yellow/orange Scotch Bonnet. I guessing this one is a c. chinense because of the black pepper flavor and medium heat. I've grown Bishops Hats out of seeds labled Scotch Bonnets. Can't wait to see the diversity of this pepper name.
IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

That sure as heck looks like the ones i've got. Are these the "true" jamaican scotch bonnets? I'm not growing any(yet), but i do have a decent local source for the fresh pods.

Here's a few I'm growing this year

Martinique

Not Scotch bonnet TFM

These are some C. annuum's that were old seeds I bought from Reimerseeds when I was nieve, and were labelled as Scotch bonnet 5 in 1 (C. chinense)

Great thread Potawie...I will post some pics and more information when I get home...

Indeed Potawie, great thread. When I first found THP I searched long and hard for the thread that this promises to become. As a 1st year grower who is already hooked, and a huge fan of the true SB, I am utterly confused as to the naming and varieties out there. No fear of experimentation, but some guide through all the names would help tremendously. :)

Alas, nothing to contribute but questions this year.

Is anybody growing the Pa 353 red or yellow? I grew the red ones in 2005 and really liked them but the seeds I saved never germinated. They were also listed as C. chinense where I purchased from but are actually a C. annuum

POTAWIE said:
Well I figure we might as well start a proper thread.

I've grown so many peppers over the years labelled as scotch bonnets and many of them turned out to be C. annumms or they origninated from somewhere other than the Caribbean like Africa. Some of them turned out to be great peppers but It seems wrong to lump them all in as Scotch bonnets since this is a term associated with a certain pepper from a certain region. Even the Chocolate scotch bonnet seems a little strange to me. @#!@#SB:lol:
The "true jamaican scotch bonnet" so far is my favorite but I've got some others I'm waiting to try soon.

Anyways, I thought this would be a good place to discuss all the different varieties whether C. annuum or C. chinense, and hopefully we can get some pics from everyone. I should have some soon, and I know AJ and RB have some too:)

Great threat Potawie, from all Scotch Bonnet become from crosing like anything else the pure breed of any species is if you have greenhouse like you so you eliminate cross polinating or if in the garden & plants are close you have to put cheese cloth over the plant if not the bee's will cross pollinate going from flower to flower or if you plant all same variety you will maintain pure origin what in some case is hard to maintain.The way I see it on the forum from all those images everybody plant the peppers plants to close or containers that why lot of different sources with same seeds have variation that mean not the pure Origin.:P

No threats man:lol:
Another big problem is that people often call C. chinense varieties either Habaneros or scotch bonnets depending on the region. Its also just easier than trying to explain to people about the whole chinense confusion.

Here's a great article on the Scotch bonnet peppers of Jamaica
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave2/bonnet.asp

I am growing what I thougth was 5 "Bonnet" shaped peppers. Little did I know until I found a pod on the Jamaican Hot Chocolate it wasn't...

Bonnets1.jpg

Bonnets2.jpg

and a very badly wilted Red Mushroom (Temperature was 106F/41C when I got home today)

Bonnets3.jpg

So I am now going to ask....Will the Real Scotch Bonnet stand up and be recognized...

In my opinion, the True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet is it. :) I found some from a local produce market several months ago that are darn close too. I believe they were straight from the Caribbean. Finding things like this in Michigan isn't common let me tell you. lol.

Chris

P1060068.jpg

P1060066.jpg

mmm, all these yummy bonnets :)

I have a few True Jamaican Scotch bonnet plants, but right now I still have a little more waiting to do:
scotchbonnet.jpg

Those are very nice Scotch Bonnet peppers images Chris make my mouth water just great so many different variety I wish I have few of those.

Pepp3rFreak what is the source of your true Jamaican Scotch Bonnets because I like the pimpled skin and shape of those pods. I think mine look close but I don't think they are true because I was expecting a little more heat. I can cut mine in half and eat them all day long. But I dried some of my bonnets and they are the most flavorful flakes I have made. Chris thanks for all the great pictures.
IMG_0379.jpg

Here's my "true Jamaican Scotch bonnet" from last year.
2690470698c121218908dz9.jpg

And here's a chocolate Scotch bonnet from this year. I really don't think these ones are real SB's but still great peppers.

Back