• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles Scoville rating vs Growing technique

I am with you and even after doing hydro and aeroponics, it still amazes me every time I see roots hanging out of a net pot without any soil at all. I just started a glog about an experiment on this same topic that I am undertaking as soon as the seedlings sprout.

I recommend drying the pods slightly and then soaking them in strong acid solution(lysurgic25 comes to thought) before consumption. Letting them soak in that ultra strong Nebraska sun :party: and a couple of cc's of tarantula urine :shh: can help speed the process. ;)

Certain plants love to be stressed toward the end of life. Ripen by GH is one that I've used myself. I'm itchin to do some experiments at the end of summer on some of the bigger Naga bushes that I have. We will see if the stress induced by a strong nutrient solution will give rise to more heat. I'll have a good line of peppers from the same plant over the coarse of the summer to compare with the end/Ripen stress. My EC sits at 2.0 to 2.6 during the crop cycle for the Chocolate Habaneros, and pH at 5,8 gives the strongest flowering, but I try to keep it at the recommended 6,3 pH that was taught in school. The plants prefer 5,8 though. If the light is too weak, pH will fall (wildly and quick), and if the light is too stong pH will rise (wildly and quick). Water here is almost a perfect 7 (7,3) in winter, and 8,5 in summer but ppm is 40, and EC is 0. Lucky as hell to have the best water on earth right out of the tap, with no chemistry added. I use PH down in low low low doses to maintain 6,3, and the flowering peppers in NFT just drive the Ph down to 5,8 and stays there.
Interesting. Peppers don't react the same as some of those 'other' plants in NFT that's for sure.

Wild tepin i read gets hotter when it gets more water wich is opposite of stressing it also as it gets older the heat goes down so pods on it second year are less hot than in first wonder if there is diffrencs between annums and chinsens cuz if u hold back water on them and keep em for more than one season supodedly they get hotter

I think what matters is where the plant's habitat is. Like tepin is hot like Texas, in the other hand other varieties are from tropical regions and more humid.

(desert climate)+ more water= Stress?
(Tropical climate) + less water= stress?

Just saying from my observations so don't take it as a fact.

,Vegas

What about just light + temp more or less with water remaining the same has anyone observed a difference. I noticed that even stotebought peppers are way milder in winter , Sunlight duration and overall temps seem like a big factor especially in annums my late garden jalepenos i got early november were very mild,, aug and sept pods were nice and had a bit of kick almost serrano like, big and noticable differenc.

Back