• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Scratch's Outdoor 2013 - planted out finally.

Alright, the season is officially over in Vermont, so it's time to fire up the lights and grow some peppers indoors. This is always my favorite part about winter. I love being able to come home after work and still have some sunshine to play in. Considering it gets dark around 4:30 in the deepest parts of winter, I'll take any sunlight I can get!

I'm giving hydroponics a go this winter, so this will be a huge learning experience for me. But, if we didn't learn something new each time, it would get pretty boring, wouldn't you say?

Alright, peppers!

Plants are currently under 3 2' 4100k T8 lights, 17w each for a total of 51w of light.
DWC buckets with GH Flora series nutrients

carolinareaper.jpg

This is my Carolina Reaper(hp22-b) seeding. She's about 7 weeks old. She's obviously stunted, considering her age, but I'm not in any rush to have a monster plant. Besides, I've already learned something from her, rockwool sucks. I am definitely not buying anymore after I use up what i have on hand. From what I've seen, rapid rooters are the way to go.

This is my Scotch Bonnet seedling. 11 weeks old, and finally coming into the growth spurt stage. She grows a half inch or more every day!

scottybon2.jpg

scottybon.jpg

scottybon3.jpg

scottybon4.jpg

As you can see, she's starting to flower.
Can anyone identify the browning on the lower leaves? I think I may have spilled some of the soup on them when changing out the reservoir, but maybe it's something else.

This is a Bhut Jolokia that I've been growing since November of last year. I've nearly killed it 3 times now, and everytime it drops all it's leaves from stress, they bounce right back. So I figure, what the hell. Let's see how many lives this cat has.
Jolokia.jpg

And last but not least, my mango. 6 months old.

mango.jpg

Once i get the space cleared out, these will all be moved into a 2'x3' tent with a 250w HPS lamp. Until then, I don't mind keeping them small and slow growing.

That's all for now, thanks for stopping in.

Scratch

Yeah, I plan on putting something down to help with that in the near future. Not sure what. Plastic, weed cloth, straw, something. Mostly because I'm not going to be able to keep up with the weeds this summer.

scratchzilla said:
Yeah, I plan on putting something down to help with that in the near future. Not sure what. Plastic, weed cloth, straw, something. Mostly because I'm not going to be able to keep up with the weeds this summer.
This is the second season I've used this stuff and I swear by it!   http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-5448-solar-mulch-4-x-50.aspx
Some folks use black poly for the mulch, but the Solar mulch warms the soil a few degrees more, which gives you a bit of an edge. It's great for keeping weeds down too. The most efficient way to use it is to prep your beds, lay down dripper hose or a low pressure drip irrigation system... either one on a hose timer, lay the plastic down over it and fasten it down firmly with sod staples. Then punch holes in the plastic and transplant into the holes.

Sounds like you had a rough beginning, Zack.  So sorry to hear it.  But at least you found some great plants at the nursery to give yourself a season.  That garden plot looks great.  If you want a few exotics/superhots, you can always check out Cross Country Nursery or refiningfirechiles.com. 

I'm not a huge fan of insecticides, but I had a few plants get hit by aphids pretty hard when my grow was still in the greenhouse.  Ortho Flower, Fruit & Vegetable Insect Killer worked great.  The active ingredient is acetamiprid, and it breaks down into non-toxics within a few days. 

Wishing you the best for the rest of your season.

Also, WalkGood is doing an experiment with using Rosemary Oil to keep the Aphids off. You might be interested in that. All looking good Zack, have a great weekend!

Back