• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

SE Florida Bhuts, Reds and Aji Limon

Here's a little update...The Aji Limon's that were struggling appear to be recovering quite well...The weather has been outstanding....

Aji Plant....

ajiplant040510.jpg

Aji Buds...I'm gonna remove the early ones to get these guys concentrating on growing....

ajibud1040510.jpg

ajibud2040510.jpg

I'm hoping that this guy and his buddies have voracious appetites for harmful insects.....(and don't carry mites to the plants)

lizard1040510.jpg

Things are looking good bossman, amazing what the right weather can do for our plants isn't it?

The pattern on your four legged bug eating machine is quite striking, you have a lot of these hanging around?

Best of luck to ya!

Here in South Florida we have lots of different lizards running around....lots of Geckos feeding around the outside lights at night. The lizards (non Geckos) do like to hang out in the branches of mature plants so I assume they are feasting...I just wish they could keep up with the White Flies in the hot , humid part of the season...

Until the recent cold winter we had an explosion in the Iguanas running all over the place......all started by people's pets getting loose or let loose intentionally. They are not indigenous and were destroying lots of vegetation...thankfully mother nature took care of that....

Is it best to snip these buds clean or pinch them off by hand? I was gonna let them come in a little and then snip 'em....:?:

It seems that my friend is busy controlling some pests for me...this pic was taken at night with flash, so it's not too great...

lizard041010night.jpg

The Bhut that is in the ground from last year (see earlier picture) is doing quite well....I wish I had cut it back further but oh well...

I've been pinching buds for awhile...lots and lots of them, hoping to get some new growth which I am now starting to see...here's a pic of some pods...
bhutyr2.jpg

I found this guy hangin around on the plant, is he friend or foe??
friendorfoe1.jpg

BTW...

All of this year's bhuts from NMSU sat out on the patio in intense sun, wind, rain etc. All but one were pale green, stiff, and never having the leaves hang relaxed.....I think that the use of a HPS light after the fluorescent tubes was too much....and I probably should have hardened them off better....

After five weeks out in the elements and some fish emulsion, bone meal, Epsom salt and mother nature's rain, and some time to establish some good roots, they have finally started to green up and grow (Although the leave edges look somewhat jagged).

I have two or three of them showing symptoms of an unknown disease or virus (See Fadetoblacks post)

Happy growing all!!

Hello all...here's a few pics of how things are looking these days.....

The plants on the patio...left row is 9 Aji Limons..right row is Caribbean Reds and Bhuts (complete with aphids and other issues lol)

patio050710.jpg

Here are some of the Aji's that are nice and green...starting flowers and peppers...
al050710.jpg

These Ajis below were the fast runners of the bunch...they really took off and now have lots of flowers, buds and peppers started.....the leaves are getting very pale. Is this because the plant is in full flower mode now?? Should I be misting with Epsom salts or feeding any kind of nutes??
3alplants050710.jpg

Aji Pepper...
alpepperpic050710.jpg

Looking good bossman. in your top post, its just a male mosquito, he will not harm you or your plants, only the females of the species are blood sucking killers.

One question though, what are the empty yellow jugs laying around for?

millworkman said:
One question though, what are the empty yellow jugs laying around for?

In past years I've had horrible issues with White Flies..... The jugs are coated with petroleum jelly and the remnants or the blended olive oil that originally came in them..they say that the white flies are attracted to yellow so when you shake or spray them off the plant they'll (in theory) land on the yellow..

Knock on wood, I've seen only a handful of white flies this year, but it is still early and they tend to show up when it's hot and humid like the weather has been this week...

The jugs have trapped some thrips around one plant that had heavy damage....

Just something to try I guess....

What do you think about the heavy budding Aji's that are getting pale/yellow leaves? The only ferts that they've ever had are Alaska Fish 5-1-1 ,a little bone meal and some Epsom Salts (spray and watered in). Trying to keep things somewhat organic....should I give them another taste of fish to green them up, or do you thing the Nitrogen with make the flowers drop? I'm leaning toward misting with Epsom Salt and just let them do what they want to do......

Those are some nice looking plants. I am in my first year of growing pepper's. My plants are still small but I am hoping they start growing fairly quickly as I will be re-potting them into 5 gal buckets over the weekend. I have a few seedlings that just sprouted and I am waiting for my Bhuts to sprout. Planted them on 5/1 (a little late) but I just rec'd the seeds from Pepper Joe. I already had a jap plant die on me. Not sure what happened. one day it was healthy looking and the next it was wilted.

I have been using an Epsom salt mix and spraying the plants. It seems to be working on my habanero and jalapeno plants, but i also hit them with 15-30-15 miracle gro. I have also used the Alaska fish fert but it is hard to tell if it is doing it's job. It just appears my plants have not been growing much. The weather has been nice here in S. Louisiana this week and the wind finally died down so the plants have been spending the day outside soaking up some sun.

anyway, i am in no position to offer advice, but it would seem like the epsom salt mix may help. The more experienced chile heads will probably offer their expertise.

I do like your setup. I wish I had the room as my wife is already complaining about the few plants that I have.

Thanks Chilihead70301...I'm not sure how big your plants are, but make sure they have good roots before you put them in 5 Gal Buckets....Also, they need very little fert and/or Epsom when young IMO. Choose soil wisely....these are in Lambert potting mix , and seem to be doing ok... I would look at Epsoma products, since the plants that I potted up with that added to the potting mix seem to be doing very well...

Good luck....don't overwater...

Back