• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

seacowboy 2015

Here goes another year of learning, experimenting and with a bit of luck more success than years past.  Last year proved to give some excellent yields however they started later than I had hoped, and will try and remedy that this year by getting started a bit earlier. As with most of us chileheads we are overwhelmed with the huge numbers in varieties available to us with more coming out each season, while I do plan to expand the number of varieties I grow this year from last, I have weeded out some (unfortunately only a few) to skip this year.  I will be expanding my secondary grow area down at my hunt camp, last year I only planted about 35 plants there, this year I am shooting for about 150 plants.  For the grow here at the house I am going to make the best attempt I can at expanding my grow in pubes all in containers with a sun shade to help keep them protected in our warmer months.  The in ground grow will be decreased to allow for easier tending and harvesting, yes the field of green was nice, but a royal pain in the ass to crawl through to pick peppers and check plants. 

Soil prep started at the end of last season with my first go at a winter cover crop, I used a mix of oats, beans, rye, and beets.  They came up good, and will hopefully come back to life as the temperature rises come spring.  The container soil will be recycled and replenished with a mix of all organic nutrients that seemed to do well for me last season.

Seeds went into the new AeroGarden Ultra LED just now. 

The wait now begins. 

Spicegeist said:
Any favorites on the list this year?
Got a new favorite last year with the B.O.C. so that is going to be in the mix, I also have a number of new varities that I will be trying this year and see how it shakes out. See how things play out in the next week and the long term forecast to try and get them some real sunshine and then get in the ground at their soonest possible time.

Been slacking a bit here. The little ones are doing well with another round going in the AG and about 80 more I started in soil.

Major change unfortunately this year will have us moving out of our current place and in with the in laws.... The reason is great though, in that the wife is pregnant and my son will now get to play big brother and take care of his little sister come late September. The addition will now have my wife staying at home and with prices through the roof in our area we opted to bit the bullet and deal with the in laws for about 12 month till my step son graduates high school and we can get the hell out of NOVA. That said probably 90% of my grow will be down at my hunting camp a couple hours away but still a grow none the less. I do plan on keeping as many plant in pots at the new place provided I get the ok, which shouldn't be a problem since my father in law loves all the sauce I have been hooking him up with the last couple years.

Any who here's a couple pics of the first round before and after their last hair cut. Their now under a new T5 8 bulb light that should treat them very well the last few weeks their there till I get back later in the month to transplant them outdoors.
20150323_162901.jpg

20150325_165659.jpg

Lol I thought that second pic was mine for a second. A few trays of mine look just like that after their recent haircut. Looking good!

Thank you fellas. We're excited about adding another one to the fray.

Plants will surely be ready to go outside when I get home. The weather is already good enough so I shouldn't have to worry about bringing them back in at all while hardening them, just shuffling a little for shade.

Great start, Cowyboy!

Ultra LED?  T5 x 8?  You've got some serious lighting going on there!

I like the coordinate grid numbering system on the AeroGarden starter tray.

Good luck going forward.

PaulG said:
Great start, Cowyboy!

Ultra LED?  T5 x 8?  You've got some serious lighting going on there!

I like the coordinate grid numbering system on the AeroGarden starter tray.

Good luck going forward.
The aerogarden is leds, and the T5 HO I got is some off brand but seemed to work just fine.

Been slacking a bit with being busy moving, 1 man show with the wife brewing a little one at the moment. But we got through the move part and are still in the process of unpacking and still throwing more cap away. Also didn't have much to show for progress when I got home a few weeks ago, the watering schedule didn't quite go as planned and I lost 25 or so plants that could have been used as kindling when I got back.

Anyhow I ended up planting 138 plants in the hunt camp garden and put 9 in pots at the in laws house. The little tropical deal that formed up early should give them a pretty good drink today. The potted plants at the house will hopefully get paid a little better attention then the seedlings as we go forward.

A lot stalled out a bit and once I started putting them in the ground from the solo cups I figured out why, root bound like a mofo. I break them up and cut some back so they should come to life now that their in the ground and basking in the early summer like heat.
20150507_192957.jpg

20150507_193040.jpg

See how things look when I get back in 3 weeks!

Attachments

• 20150504_135557.jpg
    20150504_135557.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 37
Got a report about the hunt camp garden from a buddy turkey hunting the other day that wasn't real good. Said a number of the plants died, guessing it was due to no rain for 9 days after transplanting. Don't know how many didn't make it but hopefully nothing tragic. Had some good storms last week and a few in the forecast this week. Another week or so and I'll be able to make it down to scope things out. Usually once the root dig a little deeper they are good down there, have to see how the summer progresses.

Damn, sucks to hear you lost some. Hopefully it isn't too bad of a loss. Maybe they didn't die completely and will make a comeback

Scorched said:
Damn, sucks to hear you lost some. Hopefully it isn't too bad of a loss. Maybe they didn't die completely and will make a comeback
Well that doesn't compare to the future loss I just found yesterday. My father in law took both my Tupperware containers full of seeds to his church yard sale, everything is gone and I am starting over from scratch. Not looking for charity, will be buy a bunch of boxes and trading pods this year, just hope I don't lose any more plants. The few at the house are doing great, keep pulling the buds to let the plants put on more size before focusing on pods. Trying to make the time to get down to hunt camp plot to see how things are looking there.

Pubes
20150615_091434.jpg

Chinese
20150615_091443.jpg

Oh Frig! Are you saying your whole seed collection is gone??? If that's the case PM your addy, for some recovery packs. I got yer back bro.

Seacowboy said:
Well that doesn't compare to the future loss I just found yesterday. My father in law took both my Tupperware containers full of seeds to his church yard sale, everything is gone and I am starting over from scratch. Not looking for charity, will be buy a bunch of boxes and trading pods this year, just hope I don't lose any more plants. The few at the house are doing great, keep pulling the buds to let the plants put on more size before focusing on pods. Trying to make the time to get down to hunt camp plot to see how things are looking there.

You're gonna get charity, whether you like it or not, dammit.   :rofl:

How did the father in law manage to sell them off? Did he not realize what they were? Was it unintentional? That is rough dude! But the community has your back. PM me if you want lemon drop, bhut jolokia, chocolate scotch bonnet, etc.

Back