• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SeaDud's GLOG

First grow log, getting this started a bit later than my actual peppers.

Grow List
  • Aji Pineapple
  • Aji Bishop's Hat
  • Large Orange Thai
  • MOA Scotch Bonnet
  • Chocolate Habanero
  • Peach Bhut Jolokia SS

Started Seeds - 2/22
Started in clear plastic egg carton under cheap 2-lamp two foot T8 fixture from Amazon.
(Rotisserie chicken container had some lettuce/spinach I was playing around with)
Fixture was finicky and wouldn't light properly without fiddling with the tubes.  Sent it back after 2-3 weeks.

QMcmMih.jpg

Transplanted to solo cups - 3/5-3/10
Bought two 2-lamp two foot T5s from Home Depot and wired them to plugs and timer, 18 on 6 off. Much happier :)
Also rigged up cardboard walls and foil in hopes to keep the box a little brighter/warmer. 

tFp39LK.jpg

geSuhw6.jpg

N34pEzw.jpg

EHZb0ms.jpg

These pictures are from at least 10 days ago, most peppers have their second set of true leaves by now. I'll post more pictures soon.

Peppers are starting to fill out, save for one of the Aji Bishops. I 100% should have topped it, and now its tall and awkward. I might try and prune the ends back to encourage lower growth, but it might be too late for that. Besides that, we're looking good. 
  • Orange Thais have a few pods each and are filling out.
  • Aji Pineapples both have little pods and tons of flowers. Their pods are somewhat wrinkles and not plump. Might be underwatered? I'll have to keep my eye on them.
  • Scotch Bonnets are filling out awesomely, and I can see some tiny flowers starting to bud.
  • Aji Bishops are gangly, should have topped. Hoping I get at least a few this season.
  • Chocolate Hab put out a ton of new big leaves. Some cosmetic damage to the leaves, but I think it's just a result of being brittle from the sun when transplanted. No flowers yet.
  • Peach Bhut is getting big and beautiful as well.
If you see anything I could do better, let me know! I'm always game for learning.

7wHsXgi.jpg

Orange Thai, not orange yet!
JdmVAOz.jpg

Aji Pineapples. Should these be more plump? Need more water? I'll watch em.
mXn6Yh8.jpg

Another Orange Thai... this plants pods look more like jalapenos... Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world!
8sqYNlI.jpg

Dumb gangly Aji Bishop. My fault, should have topped it! Live and learn.
LCKxF6c.jpg

Chocolate Hab front, Peach Bhut right.
OUbDMNM.jpg

I think that's just the Bishop's growth habit, no real reason to top it. 
You might want to stake that main stem though. Looks great though!

Things are coming along! Staked several of the peppers, it was getting pretty windy last week. Orange Thais are ripening but seem to be turning red rather than orange for now. Also, one plant's looks much thicker than the other... almost Jalapeno like. I've never grown Thais before, so maybe they just vary in thickness? 

CwXqHKl.jpg

NzulQFc.jpg

Aji Pineapples are starting to ripen! Had our first one tonight, right off the plant. Cut it in half and split it with my girlfriend. Great fruity flavor, very juicy, and good heat! Very immediate, and very satisfying strength. Definitely something I could start cooking with. Hopefully (and it looks likely) I'll have enough to dry and powder at the end of the season!
hBioddC.jpg

g0rOTYy.jpg

Scotch bonnets have a few pods but got a long way to go. I'm real excited for these guys. 
2cb8vVd.jpg

Chocolate Hab starting to put out some nice flowers.
Lk3ZkYu.jpg

Peach Bhut Jolokia looking like it'll be fairly prolific... what the hell will I do with them all?  :P
hciCszW.jpg

Aji Bishops are just starting to bud(no pictures) but I'm excited to eat those by the handful.

Looking great!

Those Peach Bhuts are indeed looking prolific, hope they really load up with some heavy pods! Bishop Crowns are uniquely beautiful and tasty peppers that everyone should grow or at least eat once (but once you do sample them... you'll definitely want handfuls on them like you mention! Lol. I could eat them continually!)  :D

Handful of pineapples and thai's have come in, my girlfriend and I have eaten both right off the plant now. The thai really had a delayed heat, we were laughing "isn't this supposed to be like 7x hotter than the aji pineapple?" and then it got us. Great flavor though!

Making Thai Basil Chicken for dinner tonight with 2 big thai pods and tomorrow we're having Aji Pineapple Shrimp stirfry. I'll have to take pictures and post on the cooking forum.

The thais aren't turning orange, just staying red. No complaints here, great flavor, great heat, and they're just as good looking!

Been having a few ripened pods here and there (still only thai and aji pineapple) but I did some pruning over the weekend to tame the plants a bit and make sure no limbs would break later on.
I munched on a few unripened scotch bonnets, and even half of one of the bhuts, those are going to be damn good. The bonnets have amazing flavor, I can't wait for them to get ripe!

Snapped some updated pictures this morning.

Thai Peppers
ZhmiLF3.jpg

Aji Pineapples
4n8Ar5T.jpg

MOA Scotch Bonnets
0LBjTAJ.jpg

Chocolate Habaneros
5tNWIXq.jpg

Peach Bhut Jolokia
vJQgxzi.jpg

Update from this weekend.

Nice little harvest on Saturday, a few scotch bonnets and a handful of aji pineapples. Used the scotch bonnets in Jamaican meat patties last night, holy shit were they good.
SJLgX34.jpg

Bishops are still on their way in, nothing ripe yet but I'm excited to chomp on a few of these soon.
IJKmzZs.jpg

Chocolate habs getting chocolatey. I'm interested to taste any difference in flavor between these and my habs last year.
KJR6WYY.jpg

Aji Pineapples aplenty. Buying a dehydrator today to dry these and make powder. They were amazing with fish and shrimp, so a powder to add to some filets would be great.
tVH21UV.jpg

Scotch bonnets are looking good, should be getting a large number of ripe ones soon. Check out my post on the jamaican patties over in the food section for more info. I'll be posting it shortly.
KyVluG9.jpg

These thai peppers will not ripen. They're driving me crazy!
iL7jTCL.jpg

Holy shit, ghosts on ghosts on ghosts. I didn't think this plant would be so prolific!
2PVJ1aS.jpg

More ghosts
ZDj9gZE.jpg

Back