• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

seanw first glog (2013) - Racing the End of the Season...

Hello and greetings :) My first post here, and I'm prepping for my first major season growing. I've done a few small pepper plants here or there, and two summers ago I tried for some variety of ghost chili or other (the pop top cans you can get from thinkgeek), which turned out to look like ghost chilis, but were super mild (may have also been the fact that they were getting almost no sun in the apartment we lived in at the time, and by the time we got the house, they got outdoors just in time for the frost to hit).

I've got a heat mat and a 50 hole rapid rooter en route, and I'll be grabbing some cheapo work lights to give me some light. I also need to rig some sort of container to keep in the heat, they'll be going in my insulated-but-unheated garage until I move them into the garden, thinking either a styrofoam cooler or just putting that silver bubblewrap insulation stuff on a box.

In addition to some herbs and other garden veggies, here's my pepper list for the year:

HP22B
Yatsufusa
Tabasco
Paprika
Firecracker
Early Jalapeno
Moruga Trinidad Scorpion
NuMex Suave Orange Habanero
Chiltepin
Orange Hab
Bhut Jolokia
Red Savina Hab
Hot Cherry Pepper
Butch T Trinidad
Scotch Bonnet

I may have gone a bit gonzo on ordering. We haven't built our garden yet. This will be the second garden, the first is dedicated to berries, and got mauled by rabbits and chipmunks, even with fencing. The vegetable garden is going to be 6'x30', in three sections. Gonna stick peppers and some tomatos in one of the 10x6 section, the other two will be for the other veggies. I'm gonna have to break out some pots for the rest of the peppers. We'll see what happens once we get the garden together, though :) My current plan is to build a frame around the garden and cover it with 1" or 2" fencing, big enough for the bugs, too small for the critters.

Here's hoping all goes well!

Came home to 3 of my numex suaves hooking.

Also, took the 60W bulb out and replaced it with a 100W equiv. CFL and added another dish light with a 100W CFL. I also added the second heat mat, but it isn't going to be plugged in until the new tray arrives.

My second CPI order arrived...I need that tray!

And a Red Savina is up, now, too!

My habs are doing pretty good. Of the first wave, only the Butch T and Bhut Jolokias have failed to poke their heads out, yet. Obviously nothing from the Fatalli or Choco Hab, yet, but it's been only a couple days.

Took some more shots, will have them posted soon.

Sean--good job! What temps do you suspect those that have hooked were, as they were in process. (I have what might become a horror story in opposite direction with too much heat, yeah: it's called bubble-wrap on domes, surrounded by styrofoam, with lots of towels on top and a too-cranked wood stove before going to bed.) Sadly, I know the temps this morning but thanks to Greg (PIC 1) they might be okay. Just in case, ordered more seed tonight :neutral: and :lol:: it's a learning experience! More good luck, man!

Okay...here's the outside of my germinator:
8426955870_813f6bf2b9_c.jpg

and the inside:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8378/8426956794_f963294095_c.jpg
8426956794_f963294095_c.jpg

I've started rotating the tray to allow for light on both sides

and here's the seedlings:
8425864783_30bf73b2af_c.jpg

Thanks, guys

The only flaw is where I'm going to put plants when I start up-potting...I'm hoping that I can hold off on planting the seedlings in this first tray until they are all ready, and then do my culling/planting of those and keep them on the right-hand side. Then I'll probably have space...

I'm lucky my mother in law built me a bench table for my chillies. Sat next to the window.

By the time they are big enough to pot up, I'll be giving a few plants away to loving homes.
Then I'll be left with the elite pick of the litter ;)
Probably just one of each, maybe a couple of some - tough decisions to make though!

I'm lucky my mother in law built me a bench table for my chillies. Sat next to the window.

By the time they are big enough to pot up, I'll be giving a few plants away to loving homes.
Then I'll be left with the elite pick of the litter ;)
Probably just one of each, maybe a couple of some - tough decisions to make though!

Yep...

I only have one window that would be usable, and I don't think my wife would like a chili forest in our living room. One or two might end up there, though ;)

If I up-plant the second tray before I need to get my annuums going, I should be fine. Those are going to be the ones I keep the most seedlings of, too, as I'm planning on using more of them.

My wife is very supportive cause she loves chillies. Hence she asked her mum to build this table to go in front of this huge south facing window.

TiTgHG7.jpg

My wife is very supportive cause she loves chillies. Hence she asked her mum to build this table to go in front of this huge south facing window.

TiTgHG7.jpg

Nice!

My wife isn't a fan of hot foods...and is more concerned that someone is going to look in the window and think I'm rocking a pot farm :)

It's okay, though, I'll also be starting some fun stuff for her (once my peppers are clear). Goal is to be able to do marinara, salsa and salad all from the garden.

Nice!
A friend brought cilantro seeds back from california for me too. Can't find it in Japan! The wife loves that too.

Sean, looks like you have your heat problem fixed pretty well.
Your set up looks very workable, and you are learning on the go!
The CPI seeds you ordered should do very well - I have had good
success with them.
I get a little white mold on the top of a cell now and then. I just
scrape it off and give a light spray of Safer fungicide. If it's green
it's usually moss around here, so I don't worry about it too much.
In this climate, anything damp grows moss!
Too bad you don't have a mother in law like georgej.
Building him a grow shelf?
That's awesome!
Maybe your lovely bride will come to love chilis, too!

Sean great to see the pics up, great start :) Luckily I had finished my coffee or I'd have shot some out when I read "My wife isn't a fan of hot foods...and is more concerned that someone is going to look in the window and think I'm rocking a pot farm," ROFLMAO

Sean, looks like you have your heat problem fixed pretty well.
Your set up looks very workable, and you are learning on the go!
The CPI seeds you ordered should do very well - I have had good
success with them.
I get a little white mold on the top of a cell now and then. I just
scrape it off and give a light spray of Safer fungicide. If it's green
it's usually moss around here, so I don't worry about it too much.
In this climate, anything damp grows moss!
Too bad you don't have a mother in law like georgej.
Building him a grow shelf?
That's awesome!
Maybe your lovely bride will come to love chilis, too!

Thanks, it seems to be working much better, now. I probably should actually check the temp again, but it's noticeably warmer when I lift that blanket than what it is ambient, so I'm probably fine.

I might eventually be able to convince her...but I don't think that particular tray of chilis is the place to start!

Sean great to see the pics up, great start :) Luckily I had finished my coffee or I'd have shot some out when I read "My wife isn't a fan of hot foods...and is more concerned that someone is going to look in the window and think I'm rocking a pot farm," ROFLMAO

Glad you finished, I'd hate to have to find a way to send you a cup of coffee as a replacement :)

I'll just put up a big neon sign + arrow: "NOT POT"

That should convince people, right?

2 of my bhuts have hooks! I was surprised, I was expecting the Butch T's to go before them, since the bhuts are so difficult to get going. My BT peppers are the last of the first wave to stay in their shells, though...

Looks like one of the bhuts has helmet head, little plastic cover has gone on it. I notice that the rapid rooters have problems with that.

Nice!

My wife isn't a fan of hot foods...and is more concerned that someone is going to look in the window and think I'm rocking a pot farm :)
Goal is to be able to do marijuana, salsa and salad all from the garden.
:high: lol...Great job on the grow thus far! The pot farm mistake has been know to happen. I think my neighbor reported me last year. On several occasions I spotted folks staring into my yard with binos from the easement behind my house. They had to stand on a rock wall to do so. Kinda creepy. Big Cedar had several very low altitude fly-bys from a helo last year with cameras and binos out both doors. So it happens...all they'll get out of me is a few peppers! Good growin to ya!

:high: lol...Great job on the grow thus far! The pot farm mistake has been know to happen. I think my neighbor reported me last year. On several occasions I spotted folks staring into my yard with binos from the easement behind my house. They had to stand on a rock wall to do so. Kinda creepy. Big Cedar had several very low altitude fly-bys from a helo last year with cameras and binos out both doors. So it happens...all they'll get out of me is a few peppers! Good growin to ya!

Only high you'll get is from the endorphins :)

Back