• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Seed harvesting

After all the work I put into wintering my scotch bonnets and chocolate habaneros, it was worth it. Both are producing hot, flavorful fruit. I would like to plant more of these two.

I have heard various ways in which to harvest some seeds from my plants.

What is the best way to harvest seeds?

Thanks in advance.

staffing said:
After all the work I put into wintering my scotch bonnets and chocolate habaneros, it was worth it. Both are producing hot, flavorful fruit. I would like to plant more of these two.

I have heard various ways in which to harvest some seeds from my plants.

What is the best way to harvest seeds?

Thanks in advance.

No Ideas?

everyting i know about planting and rasing peppers you could put in a thimble and still have room for alot of stuff.
wish i could help

Hey Staff,
You want to use your mature ripe pods, cut open extract seeds and I just put them on a paper plate and put on top of the fridge for a few days make sure they are dry then store in an airtight container.
Marv

fatalliman said:
Hey Staff,
You want to use your mature ripe pods, cut open extract seeds and I just put them on a paper plate and put on top of the fridge for a few days make sure they are dry then store in an airtight container.
Marv

Thanks, Marv. You da man.

fatalliman said:
Hey Staff,
Marv

Where've you been mister?

T.

use the mature fruit and make sure you use latex gloves when seeding. just slit it open and remove the seeds with a paring knife. be sure not to leave any of the pulp on the seeds as this could ruin some of the seeds. I generally do this on a paper plate or sheet of heavy paper then dump them into a dixie cup and set on the fridge or by the window to dry. (be sure to stir them daily to make sure they all get the air to dry out) after about a week or so I then place them into (depending on the amount of seeds) film containers, or small envelopes (get em at staples No.1 coin envelopes). If you plan on doing alot of harvesting of seeds and trading you might want to get the film containers. they hold an enormous amount of seeds and are free. just go to any one hour photo shop and ask them if they have any of the film containers for a project your are doing. they will most likely give you a big box of them. I picked up about 200 of them today from the local cvs. they work well and you can label them with masking tape or permenant marker on the lids. if you can try and get the black ones but any will work just fine. good luck with the harvest this year!

Sean

Bugboy said:
use the mature fruit and make sure you use latex gloves when seeding. just slit it open and remove the seeds with a paring knife. be sure not to leave any of the pulp on the seeds as this could ruin some of the seeds. I generally do this on a paper plate or sheet of heavy paper then dump them into a dixie cup and set on the fridge or by the window to dry. (be sure to stir them daily to make sure they all get the air to dry out) after about a week or so I then place them into (depending on the amount of seeds) film containers, or small envelopes (get em at staples No.1 coin envelopes). If you plan on doing alot of harvesting of seeds and trading you might want to get the film containers. they hold an enormous amount of seeds and are free. just go to any one hour photo shop and ask them if they have any of the film containers for a project your are doing. they will most likely give you a big box of them. I picked up about 200 of them today from the local cvs. they work well and you can label them with masking tape or permenant marker on the lids. if you can try and get the black ones but any will work just fine. good luck with the harvest this year!

Sean

Thanks for all the info. I'm not sure I can grow enough for trading. I'm a little greedy. I just like the fruit that I have harvested thus far, and am looking forward to growing more of the same. 😉

I just put select pods on a wood shelf in my garage, and let them dehydrate.  When they're completely dessicated, I break them open, and pick up the seeds.

This ain't nothin' like the task of collecting tomato seeds.  Simplest task ever, by comparison.

Yea like mentioned, I'll deseed a ripe pepper, place a paper towel on a paper plate and write the name of the pepper down as I usually have 5-10 paper plates of seeds drying at a time. Can easily lose track of what's what. I keep them spread out so they aren't touching each other much in a place there's plenty of air flow. Usually my book shelf. Let them dry for a week or so shaking the plate once or twice during the process to expose the other sides to air. Once they are dry I place into baggies , place into a cool dry storage box and update my seed trade spreadsheet. 

TXCG said:
Stored properly, seeds will keep almost as long as this post did before it got necro'd. 

Opening the cold case is a great way to build post count...  You get a chance to answer something new (to you) for a good long time... 
Besides...  He said 'placenta'...

beavis_butthead.jpg

fiveohmike said:

I have an issue with knowing when they are "dry" enough.  
Yeah, that's always a bit tricky, too early and they might rot in the baggies, I usually just leave them on the paper towel till they are nice and crisp! (4-5 days)

fertilizer said:
Yeah, that's always a bit tricky, too early and they might rot in the baggies, I usually just leave them on the paper towel till they are nice and crisp! (4-5 days)

Ya I had one rot on me before...not only does it smell bad...its  a waste of a good dime bag.

Back