• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seed Map 2011

Looking forward to seeing how your Nambe Pueblo do, I also have some seeds from Chiliaddict. I live at N47, here in WA, so I am not that much farther south than Merhorn........ You should see the two Brain Strain plants I have kept in the bay window all winter, they are going to be monsters!!!

Mine are yellow Devil's Tongue. This is my first year growing them.

You will surely love them, I'm doing 6 of those this season and 56 species in all for a total of over 500 superhots. I am trying to finish my grow station. It seems that the more I learn from this forum the more work I end up having to do.

Good luck!!

Looking forward to seeing how your Nambe Pueblo do, I also have some seeds from Chiliaddict. I live at N47, here in WA, so I am not that much farther south than Merhorn........ You should see the two Brain Strain plants I have kept in the bay window all winter, they are going to be monsters!!!

Yes, chileaddict is a cool guy. He also sent me seeds for Lumbre and Sandia....I had never heard of Lumbre.

My wife made green chile stew last night. She's an amazing cook, but that dish went way beyond good to nearly spiritual. Now I see what all the New Mexico green chile fuss is about. Can't wait to give her some of my own home grown with love from the garden...

Wow, 47ÂșN...Isn't it amazing how far chiles have spread from their natural habitat? There can't be many other plants that are so ubiquitous...

Can't wait to see pictures of your Brain Strain plants,.

You will surely love them, I'm doing 6 of those this season and 56 species in all for a total of over 500 superhots. I am trying to finish my grow station. It seems that the more I learn from this forum the more work I end up having to do.

Good luck!!

Pepper growing quickly became an all-comsuming obsession for me, too. If I'm not thinking about work or taking care of household chores, I'm thinking about chiles!

I was not even aware of the Devil's Tongue, until I ran across it while ordering Scorpion seeds from Uncle Steve. But it's an interesting pepper...any idea of its heritage?

Well today i got a pack of Bhut Jolokia seeds, immediately gave them into soil for germination. mmm so it looks like over 100 hot seedling soon. For now i have only 4 nice Tabasco seedlings but soon the rest will reach them :) All is germinated in 29C, used some germination booster solution. Soon as it will be more interesting i will start my own thread :)

I was wondering how your seeds are doing Gary. Looking forward to an update
icon_smile.gif
. Also, Walt and Gary, remember the beautiful thing about the Nambe Pueblo strain is that they came straight from a tiny farm on the Nambe Pueblo in New Mexico. They have not been crossed with any other chiles, because they do not grow any other chiles there, and haven't for reportedly 400 years. The attraction to me is the history. The original strain of green chile brought to New Mexico is still around there and faces the possibility of being lost forever. Good luck on getting good pods from them! Since coming to what is now Northern NM they have only grown in a high altitude, cool weather, short season environment. They won't be as big and beautiful as a Big Jim or Improved Chimayo, but hopefully you will get to experience a wonderful part of chile history.

I was wondering how your seeds are doing Gary. Looking forward to an update
icon_smile.gif
. Also, Walt and Gary, remember the beautiful thing about the Nambe Pueblo strain is that they came straight from a tiny farm on the Nambe Pueblo in New Mexico. They have not been crossed with any other chiles, because they do not grow any other chiles there, and haven't for reportedly 400 years. The attraction to me is the history. The original strain of green chile brought to New Mexico is still around there and faces the possibility of being lost forever. Good luck on getting good pods from them! Since coming to what is now Northern NM they have only grown in a high altitude, cool weather, short season environment. They won't be as big and beautiful as a Big Jim or Improved Chimayo, but hopefully you will get to experience a wonderful part of chile history.

Thanks for asking! A couple of the Nambe Pueblo seeds came up, and are growing well. No Chimayo yet, and it's been a month now, so I don't really expect that one to go. I will seed a fresh 12-cell Jiffy Tray this afternoon with Lumbre.

As for the rest of the starts: the crazy vigorous, fast-growing, 100% germinating plants this year are mostly Capsicum baccatum: Guampinha de Veado, Guyana PI 199506, and Aji Limon. Twice as tall as anything else, except the Nambe Pueblo. Surprisingly, Aji Amarillo is kind of weak, with only around 30% of the seeds starting.

Also looking really good, with 100% germination of healthy-looking plants, are Jamaican Scotch Bonnet, Congo Trinidad (Red), Cajamarca, and Thai Chile ("Thai Red Chilli").

A couple of real disappointments: I seeded 23 Jiffy plugs with Greenleaf Tabasco, and have not seen a single start from them. Tabasco is a "compulsory" chile in my garden, but thankfully I can buy good bedding plants of that variety at several local retailers....

Also, there are zero sprouts showing on the six plugs I seeded with Aji Panca. I may be doing something wrong, so I'm not really blaming the vendors, but it is a bummer.

I've got "the real deal" Chimayo growing along with velarde. I found the velarde germinated easily but the chimayo didnt. I will send you some seeds from them come harvest.

Back