• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Seed Prep for next year

Last year, I removed seeds from a few Bhuts and put them in a ziplock bag, to be started in my Aerogarden after the winter. To my horror I found that most of the seeds turned brown and moldy when I went to start them. Luckily, some did sprout in the Aerogarden anyway.
This year, should I dry them a bit in the dehydrator before storage? Someone told me to put them in a damp paper towel also. Sorry if this is a repost. Thanks for the help.

Seems like u didnt dry the seeds properly. And u didnt use silica gel packets in your plastic baggies.

Dry them indoors and dry them until 100% sure they're dry. In a dry warm room. Takes a couple days in my country. Maybe a week or so in your part of the world.

Seems like u didnt dry the seeds properly. And u didnt use silica gel packets in your plastic baggies.

Dry them indoors and dry them until 100% sure they're dry. In a dry warm room. Takes a couple days in my country. Maybe a week or so in your part of the world.

Thanks. Anybody use their dehydrator for seed drying?

no...or at least I don't

I've been drying seed on a coffee filter, then after several days I'll add a teaspoon of silica gel desicant, and put the filter and all in a ziplock. After a few weeks as I have time I will resort them down to small envelopes.

Air drying works for me too, I just set them on a paper towel and shake them every day or so until they don't stick or clump.

I air dry them by putting them in a "dixie cup" for a week or two. I then wrap them up in a paper towel and place in a brown paper lunch bag.

I put them on paper towels in a windowsill for a few days. After they are completely dry I fold the paper towel up and write on the outside what they are and store them in a cannister for over the winter. When I am ready to start them inside the house about February. I stick them in the freezer for several hours. This, believe it or not tricks them into thinking they made it through winter and gives me the advantage of 98% gaurenteed germination. Try it out you may just be suprised

I take the seeds out of the pepper, place them on a paper plater or paper towel to dry for a few days. Once they are completely dry they can be stored in a paper envelope or plastic baggie. You only get seeds damp on a paper towel if you are trying to germinate them.

Dehydrator seed drying can be a dangerous process as the heat level, if not done right, can kill the seeds. I read that you want to keep it at or around 95 degrees, I believe, which will make the drying process still take a long time.

You're really better off just drying them on a paper towel in a warmer area that doesn't get much sun light, since direct sun will also scorch them. It'll take a week or more (or in my case 2 weeks as I tend to forget about them) before they're dry.

Store them in baggies in a dark area with low moisture.

Speaking of which, I have to check on mine.

Good luck!

I always dry seeds on a paper plate or newspaper, is it's humid I dry them on the lowest shelf in the refrigerator, Once I'm sure theyre completely dry, I put them in small plastic bags then into a larger plastic bag, then on the lowest shelf on the door of the refrigerator. I've had seeds remain viable stored that way literally for years. The silica gel, Datil Patch mentioned isn't a bad idea, I've never used it but, that's only because I never had any : )

I dry mine in a sheet of paper towel folded in half with name of pepper on it. When dry I make little pouches out of plain paper, write the name on pouch, and store pouches with seeds in them in a zip lock bag with a large silica gel packet with them.

I always dry seeds on a paper plate or newspaper, is it's humid I dry them on the lowest shelf in the refrigerator, Once I'm sure theyre completely dry, I put them in small plastic bags then into a larger plastic bag, then on the lowest shelf on the door of the refrigerator. I've had seeds remain viable stored that way literally for years. The silica gel, Datil Patch mentioned isn't a bad idea, I've never used it but, that's only because I never had any : )
I dry and store mine the same way, small plastic seed bags inside sandwich bags which are all packed into gallon bags and stored on the fridge's door. :)

Back