• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seed starting system using plastic water bottles

Peter S, here is a update for you to see:
IMG_20180224_181318_1.jpg

IMG_20180224_181556_1.jpg

These are new white roots that have notices the capillary matting and they are now seeking more of that moisture:
IMG_20180224_182337_1.jpg

Look at the difference between 23.02.2017 and the clock was 08.16 PM:
IMG_20180223_200945_1.jpg

And now picture taken in 26.2.2017 and the clock is 10.57 AM:

The difference is just between about 3 days. :onfire: :party: The self watering system really works for coco coir growing, it is easy, simple and pretty much foolproof for watering the chilis indoors.

If my calculations are anywhere near correct upon inspecting the water levels, one small terracotta pot cry about 1 dl per 12-13 hours period to the matt in indoor growing.

24 hours would be then something like 2 dl of crying and 14 dl=1,4 litres of water in a week.

Water level is very easy to replenish using one of those 1 dl plastic injectors and the blast from the injector will mix the water inside the terracotta pots.

Picture of Petenero(c.chinense) newly formed shining white roots:
IMG_20180226_180414_1.jpg

Those new roots where not there about 3 days ago and they looks very healthy to me...To be honest those roots pretty much cant get any better than that.

I am starting to have my doubts about the whole self watering system with the nutrient solution. The self watering system is useful for holiday watering when you are away for day or two, but if you add the nutrition solution in the pots and continuously feed the chilis with it, there will be a salt build up and a nutrition lockdown in the imminent future.

I am going to return to the tried and true top watering thing for the nutrition solution as it will wash away any salt build up every time you water the chilis after the coco coir have dried some before adding more water to it. It is ok to test new thing out, but if it doest work like you want it to work, you should return to the one that have been proven to work in the long run.

This one look pretty interesting:
My air-pot containers with the trays are already acting really similar to this one, it is no wonder they grow so nice when the roots hit the bottom of the trays.

Back