• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedling heatmat

I serious need some help, ive been looking for a seedling heat mat for weeks now.

And the one i relly liked is http://www.nextag.com/seedling-heat-mat/stores-html

But when trying to find a shop that got it, they are all in US and the shipping from amazon is over 36 dollars and also tested ebay and all i found wanted over 30 dollars as well just for the shipping.

So, anyone know if theres some store in EU that got similar products? Last year i used a heat-lamp 75w but it was a pain to get the right temp + it killed some seeds ;(.

And i dont know anyone in US that can ship it to me. But if any kind member here wanna help out i can paypal the money.

//Oscar

I'd be more than happy to help you out. Get shipping rates from Chicago, Illinois to your destination and give me a PM.

Thanks to all of you kcso53 i will give you a pm i gonna talk to mich first and see if he got one.

Thanks

For future reference.
Build a foam tray to put it on if the room is low temp.,like a basement or whatever.
The foam keeps the mat so it only heats up the seeds not the shelf it's on too.
Most mats are set to heat something like 20 degreesF over room/shelf temp.
Cold room/shelf might only heat seeds to lower temps. than you want.

IM004352.jpg

IM004351.jpg

I use 12 cell mini grenhouses these days.
Easier to get to sprouts that need transplanting that are in the middle of the tray when the others are smaller and not ready yet.
6 take the same space as a 72 cell one.

Thermostat is a must for some seeds that like a more constant temp. or one higher or lower than the 20 degree the mat is set at.

For future reference.
Build a foam tray to put it on if the room is low temp.,like a basement or whatever.

IM004352.jpg

IM004351.jpg

Easier to get to sprouts that need transplanting that are in the middle of the tray when the others are smaller and not ready yet.

Thermostat is a must for some seeds that like a more constant temp. or one higher or lower than the 20 degree the mat is set at.

Thats the one i want. i cant belive that US have all kind of those while EU dont seems to have one!!
And next year will be alot of superhots for me so i better figure something out fast. Great post btw.

Hydrofarms has a combo kit,it sells a 72 cell mini greenhouse with a heat mat for $31.99 usd.
Heat mat alone is $24.99.
Thats at a nursery so you can probably get one cheeper in a discount store here in the U.S. of A.
Thing is the Thermostat is $24.97.
So about $57.00+tax for a kit and about $50.00+tax for thermostat and the mat.

At seasons end the mats alone were about $15.,the kit was $19.00 and the thermostats were about the same as the kit.

The thermostat is supposed to run up to 1000 watts.
Heat mats are 17watts(this particular modle).

So I guess you can plug an adapter into it and run more mats or use it for one of the larger mats.
They only have 1 temp. probe so you'd probably have to use the same sized cells to get even temps. in the ones without the probe.
I'd think if they were all sitting on foam they'd be close in temp. if all the mats you hook up are close in heat output.Depends on their quality control.

Great idea on the styrofoam tray smokemaster. I will do that for my heating pad. I usually keep my house pretty cool and this may bump up the heat a little. My wife didn't dig when I had it on the piano.

Before I had a heat mat I used a box of sand with a rope light buried in it.
I used a $2.00 rope light(after christmas sale) that was way too long,20-30ft.

Had to make a box that held a couple 72 cell starters or it got too hot.

http://www.gardengrapevine.com/BottomHeater.html

without sand using a rope light.
Looks less of a hassle.

http://doorgarden.com/02/home-made-bottom-heat-seed-starting

Some use the heat tape that keepss pipes from freezing in the winter too.

Chris/cmpman had problems with his heat mat until he went to home depote and baught some sheets of foam insulation to put under his seed starters in his basement.
Worked great after that.87derees like he wanted from 70-75 before the foam insulation.

Before I had a heat mat I used a box of sand with a rope light buried in it.
I used a $2.00 rope light(after christmas sale) that was way too long,20-30ft.

Had to make a box that held a couple 72 cell starters or it got too hot.

http://www.gardengrapevine.com/BottomHeater.html

without sand using a rope light.
Looks less of a hassle.

http://doorgarden.com/02/home-made-bottom-heat-seed-starting

Some use the heat tape that keepss pipes from freezing in the winter too.

Chris/cmpman had problems with his heat mat until he went to home depote and baught some sheets of foam insulation to put under his seed starters in his basement.
Worked great after that.87derees like he wanted from 70-75 before the foam insulation.
Thank You smokemaster .... that is exactly what i needed.
thumbsup22.gif

I have played around with Smokemaster's creation a lot. It WORKS. I just built to styrofoam insulated enclosures to house single heat mats (11.5" x 20"). My styorfoam is metallic backed. The type used for insulation. It really retains heat. Last year I struggled a lot to get my soil temps to 86-88 deg until I took his advice. I was under the false impression I had the right temps. These mats DO NOT get temps up to the proper level unless you do some engineering. I have a 4 ft long mat too. i grow in a basement so it's a bit cooler, but these do the job. Building side walls generates more heat as he says. Lots of little tricks.

Chris

I also put mine together with BBQ skewers as pegs so I just take it apart and it is flat to store.
Hot glue and or tape didn't hold it together well for me very long.
It was junk foam scraps from parts at work.

Some heat mats used to come with a foam tray but it was so low quality it broke easily and wasn't very thick.

Foam like Chris used probably is a lot better than what I used-packing foam from shipping and recieving.
His foam is a lot stronger and made to retain heat.
Some is really closed cell-smaller particles and you can cut it etc. like balsa wood.
It's quite sturdy.
I see it in a blue/green color like green board drywall for showers etc.

For future reference.

IM004352.jpg

IM004351.jpg

good idea on the heat pad and styrofoam. I have been using my egg incubators (hova-bators) during the winter for seed germination.
BE-HOVABAT.jpg

I have the same mat that smokemaster has in the picture, works great... I start some seeds a few weeks ago, actually orrevs one type you sent me and a few other., anyway, I only have one mat but two trays and the ones on the mat are growin quicker then the ones that dont have the mat. I keep em in my upstairs hallways, which has an area rug, like was mentioned above when you keep it on the bear ground it keeps the system at a lower ,temp. . . also we have lights hanging from the ceiling, got light weight metal linked rope from Home Depot (hardware store) and tied the lights to it.. ghetto rigged yes. I will post pictures soon,.

good luck finding it!

I have the same mat that smokemaster has in the picture, works great... I start some seeds a few weeks ago, actually orrevs one type you sent me and a few other., anyway, I only have one mat but two trays and the ones on the mat are growin quicker then the ones that dont have the mat. I keep em in my upstairs hallways, which has an area rug, like was mentioned above when you keep it on the bear ground it keeps the system at a lower ,temp. . . also we have lights hanging from the ceiling, got light weight metal linked rope from Home Depot (hardware store) and tied the lights to it.. ghetto rigged yes. I will post pictures soon,.

good luck finding it!

Thanks! Smokemaster hooked me up !
Cant wait for it!!

Big thanks to Smokemaster, i know he is working on his karma points and he should receive plenty!

Ditto on the good idea!! Went out yesterday and bought a 3/4" x 4' x 8' sheet of metallic backed styrofoam insulation at HD for $11.00. Going to cut it up and make nice little boxes for my heat mats. Like cmpman1974 mentioned, I start my seeds in a basement and have a difficult time keeping my temps up as measured by a cheap thermo on the seed trays. Hopefully this solves the problem; at least till I get around to building a germination box someday.

Maybe this is too late for OP, but
U should find similar heating pads, if you google for reptile heat mats. It's much cheaper shipping from UK than U.S

I serious need some help, ive been looking for a seedling heat mat for weeks now.

And the one i relly liked is http://www.nextag.co...mat/stores-html

But when trying to find a shop that got it, they are all in US and the shipping from amazon is over 36 dollars and also tested ebay and all i found wanted over 30 dollars as well just for the shipping.

So, anyone know if theres some store in EU that got similar products? Last year i used a heat-lamp 75w but it was a pain to get the right temp + it killed some seeds ;(.

And i dont know anyone in US that can ship it to me. But if any kind member here wanna help out i can paypal the money.

//Oscar

Oscar,

I used Yogurt maker very successfully to the same purpose . I had seeds sprouting in 72 hours and success rate is almost 100 percent.

If you are getting yogurt maker in Sweden, then go for it.

You can see photographs and its success at

YOGURT MAKER

10th day after sowing the seeds.

NJA

If you decide to use yogurt maker, then I will teach you how to use it for sowing the seeds and in what manner to use the heating .

Back