• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seedling Nutrients

I had to move my seedlings out of the starting tray and into small cups because the starter mix (Jiffy Organic Seed Starter) I used was getting too dry too fast. I now have been told that maybe I shouldn't have used the seed starter in the cups because of no nutrients in there and that they may need nutes before they are big enough to be moved up to the next sized container. Is there any combo of nutes I should use and when? I did do some searching and just found so much info I could be up all night trying to figure something out. I work for an online nutrition store and we sell some bone meal powder and fish fertilizer concentrate that I can get cheap. I also read about using epsom salts. I just don't know what "weak" is in a solution. Any help is appreciated.

These are the small, approximately 6oz, styrofoam cups they are currently in. When more sprout I will go with something other than the seed starter.

IMAG0069.jpg

Last year I used a similar method to yours with the Miracle Gro Seed Starter Mix in 2 x 2 cell trays. I watered and juiced them until they had about 5 leaves. Then I transplanted them into 5 x 5 pots with Miracle Gro Moisture Control potting soil. The starter mix has a water-absorbent formula with sphagnum peat moss and perlite, and provides a good medium for germination and early start only.

I juiced them with PHC "seedling & houseplants 6∙12∙6 Biofertilizer". Then when I transplant them into the 5 x 5 pots I start to combine in "Pro-Gro organic fertilizer". This is only one method, you will learn that there are many that produce well.

Have you ever heard of the plastic container trick? That's the germination format that I'm using this year. I setup my six (72 cell trays) with grow plugs, but I am germinating them in the plastic containers first and transfer over to the trays afterwards. It looks simple, fast and easy. God only knows how I will do it next year.

You will find many new and exciting techniques from this forum as I am always looking for inspiration in developing my chili growing skills.

Im also using that jiffy seed starting mix. But i have a plan to offset its poor nutrient content. Im not sure if this reccomendable but im filling my starter tray cells with moistened mg organic potting soil mix 2/3 to 3/4 the way up the cells. I then place the seed in cell and cover with about 3/8 inch of the jiffy stuff and then moisten that well with a spray mister until im satisfied the jiffy was consistently dampened.

My theory is that after seedlings sprout and beging to root down they will be able to draw nutes from the mg mix that claims it will feed plants for up to 2 months, while the seedling wont have trouble popping the stem and leaves through the lighter starter mix.

If yer gonna add any liquid soluble ferts to yer seedlings i believe its reccomendable to make it only about 1/4 strength used for other applications. For instance if yer supposed to add 1 teaspoon of the fert to one gallon of water, make the seedling feed mix at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.

Jim

Because I didn't keep a close eye on the cells, I had the same experience of seed starting mix drying out (Jiffy Organic Seed Starter), and I lost a lot of seeds. I went back to Miracle Grow moisture control potting soil, and everything got back to normal. I use a diluted solution of 20-20-20 (1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water), and they seem to trive on it.;Good luck when transplanting. It's all good my friend/

Is there any combo of nutes I should use and when? I did do some searching and just found so much info I could be up all night trying to figure something out....

Searching around is half the fun! Never know what crazy idea might inspire.

Did you catch AJ's post on what he does as a nute supplement. hydro nutes in soil Don't know if your store can get those Botanicare products he recommends, but it sure seems like they would kick start seedlings....

I juiced them with PHC "seedling & houseplants 6∙12∙6 Biofertilizer".

Jessxcr that's the best advice, you need a formula with high P, makes the roots and trunk develop..., but the first week i would just give water, from there...high P formula, and some fulvic acid...

Dont know if its the right stuff but I have fed mine with some of this (Google Chilli Focus as it wont let me link an IMG). Slightly weaker than it recommends for seedlings.

Leaves looking strong and second/third leaves are coming through well.

Dont know if its the right stuff but I have fed mine with some of this (Google Chilli Focus as it wont let me link an IMG). Slightly weaker than it recommends for seedlings.

Leaves looking strong and second/third leaves are coming through well.

Thanks. I looked it up, but unfortunately it's not available in the states.

Jess, you can find it at certain places here in the states. Worm's way carries it http://www.wormsway.com/detail.aspx?t=prod&sku=CF400

Jess, you can find it at certain places here in the states. Worm's way carries it http://www.wormsway.com/detail.aspx?t=prod&sku=CF400

Hey thanks! I guess I didn't look too hard. I just noticed all kinds of places outside the U.S. on page 1 and couldn't find it on Amazon either.

That site looks great. They have all kinds of stuff that I will probably be ordering from them. I have read a lot of people using that Happy Frog potting soil. Sounds like I may have to try that also. Pretty expensive though.

I had a batch of slow growers...just sitting there at the cotyledon stage for the longest time. (Weird, because another variety was growing pretty well with that blend...) Anyway, found a local hydro and dirt guru said the most important thing is to test soil PH level. Mine came in at around 7, he said 6.5 would be better.

Also mentioned an oscillating fan is very important to simulate nature and promote photosynthesis. He runs his fan the whole time lights are on--18-6 ratio recommended. If in a really dry spot like a closet, a humidifier would be helpful.

He liked the Botanicare Pro-Gro products, Fox Farms has some good juice also. Said to go 1/4 strength at the seedling stage, good to boost up nutes in Jiffy Mix or anything else after 2 weeks. He didn't think the high end soil blends were really that important until pot-up time. But proper PH was his main mantra. So get a kit!

Good luck.... :cool:

Thank you. I just ordered some of the Botanicare products on Amazon. That other site had ridiculous shipping rates.

Back