• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedling Temps

I know that everyone recommends that you should try to keep your seedlings in the mid-upper 70s- mid 80s during their growth. I wanted to ask what you find acceptable. Full grown plants can handle some pretty nasty temps, but since they are just growing is it integral to their lives that they maintain that upper 70s-mid 80s temp?

The reason I ask is two fold. First, I am germinating indoors and growing the seedlings in the garage for the next year. I have heat sources and a grow tent, but I was curious how crazy I have to be to keep the temps up that high (could be difficult in a cold garage even with 600w MH and mylar grow tent). Second, post-frost temps can still get into the low 40s and I was considering waiting a few extra weeks prior to planting out in order to get some higher temps.

I know what the "books" say, I just wanted to see what your .02 was.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

They'll survive in the lower temps, but won't grow much. I have never used the tent method before, and might get nice and hot there. You can put it together and try the lights just to get a feel for the temps.

I grow mine in a greenhouse That gets high 80s during the day and high 50s to low 60s at night. They seem to grow fine with those temps. But I would not go any lower than 50 for a growing temp.

I always thought 85F was the target for germination only. Then 60 to 70 for growing the seedlings. But after seeing some of the monsters coming out of grow tents posted here, I guess the growth would really be accelerated by prolonged warmer temps if they were getting lotsa light.

For plant out, I try to get at least 50F soil temp, and nights air temps also 50+. I'm going to try a few row covers or cold frames over raised beds next Spring and see if I can buy an extra couple of weeks in the ground.

Back