• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedlings are all dying?

I've had both of my attempts at starting seedlings this year fail so far.  The pics included are of jalapeño and serrano seedlings.  They get about the size of the best looking one in the pics then end up like the other ones.  I have Morugas, Reapers and chocolate habs do the exact same things.  They take off, grow an inch or two then shrivel up and fall over dead.  

They are in Miracle Grow potting soil and I water them lightly every day.  The water is our well water which has worked fine before.  They get good sun in the afternoon and have a 60w led bulb about a foot above them.  

What am I doing wrong?  This same setup worked out great last year, except I used some dark brown soil I dug up from the runoff area of our tank to start them in (then transplanted into Miracle Grow.  

They look cooked to me.  I grow mostly outdoors so I don't know too much about grow lights, but you might try putting some of them under a less intense light source and see if they do any better.

I use miracle gro seedling mix and miricale gro potting soil for all my seedling starts......that just looks like all wood bark in your pics.

Could possibly be that the regular Miracle Gro has too much fertilizer for them. From what I've learned they don't really need any ferts or nutrients until they have at least 1 set of true leaves. 

Like I said .....I use miracle gro seedling and potting mix year after year with tremendous results....that mix in the photos looks like nothing but wood on the top......maybe that Texas heat is just to hot for those young babies....Jalapenos and serranos are very hearty plants...i have them in my mix pictured here.

These are my little boys in Miracle Gro

IMG_1032.jpg

Plants look dried out and your lamp is probably too close. I keep my HPS about 1.5' to 2' above the top of the plants. Too close and you'll just cook the poor buggers. They'll live if you keep them bottom watered really well. You might also consider planting them in something more like soil and less like bark mulch.

Best of luck

Back