• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedlings checkup

Hey.

Well two of my bih jolokias popped a month ago but they seem to be growing quite slowly, is this growth normal for a month? They are under a 15w fluro fitting with a bunch of other seedlings. Is the light too small, or are they ok?

Thanks

4946942115_096021d4dd_z.jpg

4946942063_bd3cc972c4_z.jpg

4947531768_0caf08e1f5_z.jpg

Hey.

Well two of my bih jolokias popped a month ago but they seem to be growing quite slowly, is this growth normal for a month? They are under a 15w fluro fitting with a bunch of other seedlings. Is the light too small, or are they ok?

Thank
I grew bihs this year and mine had their first set of true leaves by the second week im no expert on light but i think that might not be enough i use the 23 watt cfl and they worked wonders but maybe someone else knows more about it

I have had a few of them do that to me. Even under my t5s. What are they in? The ones I had do that to me were in starter pellets that ended up being too compact in the little net covering. Broke off the netting and loosened it a bit. Put it in some soil, and a few days later, you could tell a difference. You could also start giving em a seedling solution of food. I use the seed starting food from gardeners supply company.

Would two of these lights be enough for the seedlings?

http://www.onlinelighting.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=3196

Right now i have them under one of them, might get a second to go next to it.

nice pics and bokeh :)

Its look a *bit* leggy but its really too early to tell.
Bump up your aperture and lets look at your soil

Thanks guys, i stuck them under a 125cfl and their coming up nicely now.

My next question now :)

Is it to late to start germinating more seeds in Melbourne?
I'm not having much luck germinating only getting about a 10% success rate, tried rockwool and had no luck then moved to coir pellets and it was a little bit better.

The problem i'm having is that the seeds are getting mouldy and are failing to germinate, is there any thing i can mix with the water to stop it?

Thanks guys, i stuck them under a 125cfl and their coming up nicely now.

My next question now :)

Is it to late to start germinating more seeds in Melbourne?
I'm not having much luck germinating only getting about a 10% success rate, tried rockwool and had no luck then moved to coir pellets and it was a little bit better.

The problem i'm having is that the seeds are getting mouldy and are failing to germinate, is there any thing i can mix with the water to stop it?

If you do a small, one time sprinkle of cinnamon on top of the soil, it should help prevent any mold or fungi from forming.

Bottom watering is better for seedlings. It helps prevent damping off and helps to keep from mold growing in the tops of your pots. With peat pots it can cause them to fall apart though.

They are goin mouldy even before they sprout, i can see it all over the seed.

Can that be remedied by bottom watering? (doesnt the top of the soil need to be moist to sprout?)

I'm far from being an expert but I just had around 40 seeds germinate in rockwool all I did was have them in a seed tray inside a propergation box put around 15mm of water in the bottom and topped up when empty, got around 95%. You'd be gettin close to too late down you're way so get to sowin them seeds ASAP. Around 30C they'll be ok to germ but no hotter that!

Just my 2 bob mate. good luck.

:cheers:

Jas

Back