• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedlings don't look right

These Jalapeno M seedlings have been up for about a week or so now (the ones on the far left and far right). To me they don't look right. Seems stalled and no signs of starting true leaves. They are kept in my garage and have a portable heater in front. I kept the temp inside of the little greenhouse avg. 75F. Is this a normal for jalapenos? Sorry for the crappy pic camera was not acting right.

012713005.jpg

+1 on the cold hypothesis. If not warm enough, growth is stunted/slowed. I noticed my little ones improved growth when I started keeping them away from drafts. They are in a south window when sun is shining, under lights when the sun is not shining, and moved to the center of the house at night (it is pretty cold in Pennsylvania at night in January). Just a week or two of this procedure has presented salient growth improvement.

Thanks all for the responses. I moved the whole business inside of my house into a spare room. Unfortunately that room is the coldest room in the house. It avg. 3-5 degrees colder than the living room. But it is still warmer than the garage with less drafts. To remedy this I placed the whole portable "greenhouse" over top of the heater vent so that the air blows into the enclosure. I already see the difference as it is at the least the same temp as the rest of the house. So right now as I right this is is 77F in the enclosure! Without the use of external space heaters which were killing my light bill as you can imagine. Hopefully the seedlings will respond with vigor.

Thanks all for the responses. I moved the whole business inside of my house into a spare room. Unfortunately that room is the coldest room in the house. It avg. 3-5 degrees colder than the living room. But it is still warmer than the garage with less drafts. To remedy this I placed the whole portable "greenhouse" over top of the heater vent so that the air blows into the enclosure. I already see the difference as it is at the least the same temp as the rest of the house. So right now as I right this is is 77F in the enclosure! Without the use of external space heaters which were killing my light bill as you can imagine. Hopefully the seedlings will respond with vigor.

Excellent. Glad to hear you are seeing improvement. I thought that heating a garage to grow peppers sounded expensive, but we do what we gotta do for the peppers. Love is sacrifice, right? Happy Growing.

-Mark

Whoa fiyaeater didn't realize you were in the WA. What side of the state. I asked because I have mixed luck with barkey heavy soils. Better luck with light fluffy soils.

- Mega

P.S. look up the northwest chilifest 2013.

Whoa fiyaeater didn't realize you were in the WA. What side of the state. I asked because I have mixed luck with barkey heavy soils. Better luck with light fluffy soils.

- Mega

P.S. look up the northwest chilifest 2013.
MSM I am in the Bellingham area if you are not familiar 100 miles north of Seattle close to the Canadian border. Thanks for the tip on the NW Chilifest. I'll have to look that up.

Back