• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedlings dropping their seed leaves.

You can rest assured that if I had the pods I would contaminate everything in the house, including their toothbrushes, just to get back at them.

Taj, keep on with the peppers. Things will get better...lots of skeptics out there who can't see your vision of hot peppers. All you can do ignore the critics and keep growing. Start more seeds and don't give up.

Taj,

I bottom water seedlings and no more than once a week unless they are nearly root bound in their container (usually when they are almost ready to go into the ground). Even if they wilt a bit, it will not hurt them - I've had plants with 3-4 leaves almost laying on their side and after a drink a water, they perk back up.

Mike

Taj

I think our temps are too extreme at the moment going from a 40 degree day to a 28 degree day. Also perhaps having them on bricks will heat them up too quick during the day. They also look like they have a lot of water. I know you said you just watered them but perhaps you should just mist them and also start them off inside till they are big enough to pot and then move under shade.

I know it doesn't help much now but we can only learn from our mistakes and try again. There is always next year if you can't get anything going this year. Keep persevering.

I wouldn't listen to the people telling you that you'll fail. That kind of negativity is just not needed. Honestly now, why in the world would anyone care if you choose to grow chili's or not? I could understand if you were forcing them to participate, or maybe if you were using their money and they expected you to pay them back, but still.

I had people questioning me why I wanted to grow chili's as well. It just seems odd to most people. I grew a variety to see what they were like and started expanding into the hotter varieties. People kept telling me that I wouldn't be able to eat them and that it's a waste of time. Turns out I can eat them and the enjoyment I get out of my little zen-pepper garden is surely not a waste of time. It's very relaxing when you're not fighting aphids, spidermites and stupid people telling you you can't do it. Then when they saw that I could do it and could eat the hotter peppers I grew, they started in on how they can't eat them so what's the point? I don't give a rat's ass if they can't eat them. I grew them for me.

Stick with it and prove them wrong. If I can grow chili's in my small part of the cold world (summer temperatures swings can range from 10C - night - to 40C - in the day), surely you can grow them where you are. Keep everything simple simple simple. These are very hardy plants once they get established. I guess if you want to look at it the other way around, be proud of yourself that you were able to kill off such a hardy plant ;) :lol: - I'm just kidding of course.

Keep at it.

Im having problems too. I think its over watering. I cut right back a couple of weeks ago but still have problems. The square pots at the back were my biggest mustard habs and are still suffering.

7 Pot Brain strain seems the happiest (square pot far right)

DSCF1863.jpg

Taj
i've had some real setbacks with my seedlings too what with the frosts etc here, but there's always the (slightly) milder weather to look forward to next year, so if needed, i'll sow again then, just might not be able to sow the varieties i want, but sh*t happens.
just don't give up, it's your passion, so why give in to the dissenters, do what you flamin' well want, it's your life!:P

Yours look much like many of mine right now toleman, even tho I have been allowing them to dry out.

It's tougher to get it right when they are this small, as there seems to be a fine line. They can suddenly be too dry.

I may have shocked a few in the cold when trying to get them some sun, thinking that might help get them color.

This has always been the stage where I have problems, but if I can get them up to 4-5 inches, that's when they seem to get stable & strong.

I have been thinking, could it be something in the soil.

Case in point >

I bought a 10" high orange hab plant from bunnings, it was very healthy, had good sized leaves and was starting to flower. I kept it in it's original container for a week or so in the same spot it was planted before putting it into the same soil mix I use for the seedlings (except with some sheep and cow manure added), it was fine for about a week and then 2 days ago, it lost nearly all its leaves.

DSC03366.jpg

Compare it to these two plants taken as an example. Both were planted in the ground, the left one (choc bell) in the bulk soil that was dumped to replace the grass/sand before, and the right one (cayenne) in a mix of soil improver, sheep manure and sand.

DSC03367.jpg

New seedlings are still dropping their leaves.

DSC03371.jpg

DSC03369.jpg

And what is strange, is that the tomatoes seeds that were planted in the same mix as the chillis are dropping their leaves too. But the tomatoes I planted directly in the soil are 10" high and fruiting ...

Any thoughts ... ??

I am about to burn everything and start next years batch now in cocopeat and hydro as I know that has to be fucken sterile. I am really pissed off.

Oh big thank you to Neil @ http://www.thehippyseedcompany.com/ who has looked after me like family. Great man.

Dude i feel your pain. Actually burning your soil is not a bad idea. Thats what i did and my plants are thriving.

Whats stopping you from using the soil from the ground? Sorry if i missed if you are already doing this. You had better go buy a punching bag me thinks.

I was referring to burning down my house, but soaking the soil with petrol and setting it all on fire might not be such a bad idea.

The soil in the ground was basically beach sand before we got the new soil in. The new soil is too hard for seedlings IMO, it has compacted down too hard, I need to get a fork, turn it over and throw in a couple of bags of vermiculite.

And in relation to your question, two simple words ...

My mother.

Well that sucks because i use a mix of garden soil and and potting mixture to use as "seed raising mix". I get about 60% germ with a below average setup.
I would suggest using NO fert in your seed mix too. Also let it half dry out before watering. I know that you have probably heard all this before but it is what works for me.

I had the same problem Taj and very frustrating (very much the same problem too - i would say damping off ) - the way i overcame it was to use a heat mat and that solved all my problems. This year I have grown over 1000 chilli plants (and took on Blisters advice)- A miniature greenhouse at bunnings and a heat mat and your growing all sorts :) - But its a bit late to grow as Candice said - im happy to donate some plants if you would like some.

The seedlings still look very wet to me? Also are they in full sun? Looks a bit strong for them. I reckon definately start the seedling indoors on a heat mat under fluoros. The other plants I had some that looked similarwith the leaves and that was from being in full all day sun. Once moved they have started improving.
I loved growing hydro under lights. The plants looked amazing, but you can have problems with that too. When the weather started getting warmer the shed was getting too hot even though I had 2 inlet/outlet fans in there and a standing one. The plants went downhill, once outside all better.Also very expensive to run and once you get aphids they spread very rapidly. If you are just doing a few though go for it.

Yeah that would be appreciated mate ... I really am at the point of destroying everything.

As for being late, last year I was still fruiting in July, I know its late now but I still have planted my seeds, I wanted at least some superhot plants so I could play around with sauce making and things along those lines and just to have some fun.

I had a miniature greenhouse and heat mat as well, same thing happened.

Such is life ... where abouts in Perth are you located mate?

Wildfire Chilli Australia said:
The seedlings still look very wet to me? Also are they in full sun? Looks a bit strong for them. I reckon definately start the seedling indoors on a heat mat under fluoros. The other plants I had some that looked similarwith the leaves and that was from being in full all day sun. Once moved they have started improving.
I loved growing hydro under lights. The plants looked amazing, but you can have problems with that too. When the weather started getting warmer the shed was getting too hot even though I had 2 inlet/outlet fans in there and a standing one. The plants went downhill, once outside all better.Also very expensive to run and once you get aphids they spread very rapidly. If you are just doing a few though go for it.

I moved them to the sun today because they were in full shade before and I got advice telling me to move them to the sun. I figured it couldn't hurt them anymore as they are all dying in the shade anyways. As for the wetness, I watered them about an hour before I took the photo, they get watered once every couple of days, the pots are so small they dry out really quick.

I can do hydro, I have done it before with chillis before moving them into soil (and funnily enough once they got moved into the soil the shit started happening). Aphids I am not worried about, they are easily killed compared to mites, those things just won't die.

Back