• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds seedlings dying

i have had about 7 seedlings come through and over half of them have sprouted and then pretty much just layed over, looks like they are dying.

Im using jiffy pellets no nutes yet no sets of leaves yet just the ones they sprouted with.

these ones sprouted in about 8 days.

Cheers
DJ

temps here a freaking cold getting down to about 5*C, im using a spary bottle when they are drying up so i dont over water them.
As for lights 2x 18W shop lights (fluros)

do you have them UNCOVERED once they sprout??? could be damp off if not. Also, I used the spray bottle thing my first year afraid to over water and what happened was the bottom of the soil never got wet, only the top 1/4th inch or so and the roots dried up and the seedlings died.... Your using jiffy pellets so you should be able to tell if they are getting moist all the way down. Even if you water them a little more than you think you should, just let them dry out longer before you water them again.

Are you top watering? If so, it could be "damping off". Bottom water if you don't already. The spray bottle could cause the damping off.

Good luck
Mike

How tall do these get before they fall over? Sounds to me there is too little light and they are stretching for light, in combination with the roots not receiving any wat due to spraying the top of the soil.
I would start pouring the water in them or bottom feed as caps suggested.

See, when the seedling is sprouting the root system is almost instantly searching out water. When you top feed with a spray bottle and the bottom/middle of the soil does not get moist enough then the roots struggle to search for water and never find it. And on top of that, the low light makes the plant stretch out for light. So my suggestion is to lower your lights closer to the pots,start watering from bottom or at least pouring water into the pot. Also, get the temps up to at least 65-75 degrees F.

It could also be damping off depending on how much you are watering them, and with those cold temps is likely. Get some pics up. :)

post pictures no matter how bad we can help. my own opinion through the pellets in the trash, had problems with them years ago too acid for young plants, grow in coir now. If the plants have a brown ring around the stem there damping off.

Back