• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedlings growing wierd leaves, unhealthy grow. Any guesses to as why this might be?

So.. Brazilian starfish, started 12th of january. Soil is just some normal potting soil, peat-based. Getting natural sunlight (west-facing window) and sometimes/often I supplement with a 15W LED, placed 60 cm above the plants (about 20-25"), during the evening/night

2015-02-24154012_zpsd3fa95b5.jpg
2015-02-24154019_zps89afd18b.jpg
2015-02-24154037_zpsbba735d9.jpg

So basically.. dark leaves, and they appear curly, distorted from the moment the leaf appears at the stem.
Soil appears damp because I just threw in a few extra Brazilian starfish seeds in the same cup, as a backup plan, and just sprayed the top soil with a water mister.

I have already culled a few brazilian starfish's in the cup, that had similar issues. Only difference between this cup and the other plants (of which none has had similar issues), is that these grew quite leggy early on, so added ~3 cm (1") extra soil on top on this cup only. Otherwise watered similarly and such. 
I am not experiencing a catastrophy, I have more than enough of other chili varieties. But I would like to know if anyone could help me identity the underlying cause, so that I can prevent similar issues in the future.

Personally I'd guess its some sort of light burn issue. But I can't really understand why that might be, none of the other chilis has issues, they barely get direct sunlight (scandinavian winter), and the grow light is only 15W, with good distance to the plant.

The rest of the chilis are doing great.

2015-02-23172707_zpsc4a6c5af.jpg

Could it be mites? Could it  also be too much NPK ? Last but not least root rot possibly  ? Damn leaf curl is not always easy to diagnose .  :rolleyes:

Back