• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedlings with worm castings?

lek said:
That's what I thought.  No doubt. You guys may not have much experience with worm casting. 
worm specie and what you feed the worm play an important role.

You think it look very much like peat moss. Take a closer look. It's NOT.  and if you touch it your hand will feel completely different.  :party:

A bit of a contradiction on your part, isn't it?  You tell us that we don't have much experience with worm farming, and that worm species and environment is important - but yet, you completely ignore all of those concepts, when stating absolutely that worm castings are a great starting media.

The good part of this tangent discourse, is that you've definitely helped make the point.

lek said:
I will show you some of my pepper seedling in worm casting.  

31905304550_ec7ed44505_z.jpg

Look like it's my luck that I can germinate and grow them outdoor in worm casting. coz i didn't have time to take care of them but they're still alive.

Can you put up a pic of the bag of mix you are using?  That stuff does not look anything like the brands of Castings you buy in the U.S.

solid7 said:

A bit of a contradiction on your part, isn't it?  You tell us that we don't have much experience with worm farming, and that worm species and environment is important - but yet, you completely ignore all of those concepts, when stating absolutely that worm castings are a great starting media.
The good part of this tangent discourse, is that you've definitely helped make the point.
Nope. Just like when somebody say I grow plant with soil. Bad soil can kill the plant but you can never go wrong if soil is high quality.
Masher said:

Can you put up a pic of the bag of mix you are using?  That stuff does not look anything like the brands of Castings you buy in the U.S.

There are a lot of high quality worm casting here in Thailand. Here is one of them. 100% natural organic wormcast.  Thumb up!!

31923547830_4ccc0a8256_z.jpg

lek said:
Nope. Just like when somebody say I grow plant with soil. Bad soil can kill the plant but you can never go wrong if soil is high quality.

Right.  In the same way that poison won't kill you, if it isn't deadly poison.

It's a silly argument, to support a position that you didn't think to take, until you were shown your fallacy.

It doesn't matter, at this point, because we don't have your magical seed sprouting worm castings here.

Thank you Lek for expanding our knowledge of international products! I "grow" my own worm poop via Mother Nature, more on that in another thread, and thought the growing media in your Bolivian Rainbow seedling pic NOT worm castings but a little searching shows there are other consistencies than what we're used to.> Worm Casting GOOGLE Image Search

EWCs1.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

A small sprinkle of worm castings worked into your starting medium should be fine. Any more than that and you are asking for fungus problems for sure.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Thank you Lek for expanding our knowledge of international products! I "grow" my own worm poop via Mother Nature, more on that in another thread, and thought the growing media in your Bolivian Rainbow seedling pic NOT worm castings but a little searching shows there are other consistencies than what we're used to.> Worm Casting GOOGLE Image Search

Does that worm casting still contain soil and/or cow dunk?   What a big difference.   :shocked:

:mouthonfire: The one I have is mild and light. I can sow seed directly into it.  

32170970752_b028f143bb_c.jpg

Almost any worm earthworm casting that you find in nature (at least here, not in magic fairy land) harden like mortar when they are dry, and turn clay-like sticky when wetted.  The castings are often found on the ground in hard, globular clumps. 

What you have shown in your picture looks like the bedding material for a worm farm, with most of the bedding intact. (not processed by a worm)

May we see your own homegrown worm castings, so that we may compare the consistency of the bagged goods, to what you have actually produced?  I'm assuming by your previous comments - where you cast doubt on our experience with worm farming - that you must be quite knowledgeable and experienced with worm farming.  I'd surely be interested  to know how to produce castings of this consistency...

solid7 said:
If anyone wants to try that brand, you can get it for the ridiculous price of $69.

https://www.amazon.com/Nongduen-Fertilizer-Natural-Wormcasting-Thaidd/dp/B01B30KMIU

I'd be interested to have an analysis done on those, and see what's really in the bag.  It says that it's made from plant matter and animal dung.  But I've never seen either of those things get eaten by a worm, and come out looking like what has been posted.

Did you notice that it's 1KG + FREE SHIPPING?  Will you expect its price will be as low as your worm casting in your local area?
In fact the price is around $2 USD here in bangkok.   Study e-commerce so you will not complain about its price.

lek said:

Did you notice that it's 1KG + FREE SHIPPING?  Will you expect its price will be as low as your worm casting in your local area?
In fact the price is around $2 USD here in bangkok.   Study e-commerce so you will not complain about its price.

This isn't a discussion about global commerce and logistics, so my point was relative to my own location.  We can buy worm castings domestically for somewhere in the region of $1/lb, so somebody wanting to source your magic brand would really have to want to satisfy a curiosity, or settle a point.  Point being, no matter what it costs where YOU live, it isn't likely that anybody here is going to rush to buy a bag of your pseudo-peat moss.  Sorry you couldn't pick up on that.

I notice that you latched right on to that point, but didn't bother to address my other point about showing us your own homemade worm castings, and telling us your secret recipe.

Scuba_Steve said:
For the record, as the OP, I have received the advise I was looking for.  Thanks guys!  Now back to the action...

Hahahaha...  I love a good ol' dual purpose thread!

My friend just gave me 100% red worm casting this evening. 

32007592130_52317fbc06.jpg

A side by side comparison between peat moss and worm casting from magic fairlyland.  :eek:
Can you tell which one is peat moss?
32385130365_2c6c98350d_c.jpg

Zoom In (Left Photo)

31542442274_41e4e5d8ed_z.jpg

Zoom In (Right Photo)
32007584190_1099715ea0_z.jpg

And now 100x Zoom in (Left Photo)

31542426294_9f00941da4.jpg

31542427204_15b5a65840.jpg

100x Zoom In (Right Photo)

31542416214_b0c04e0573.jpg

31574109933_ec44e334ec.jpg

If you can't do it. It doesn't mean somebody won't  :b

So, one more time.  You accused at least two of us of knowing nothing about worm farming.  WHERE ARE YOUR HOMEGROWN CASTINGS?

Show us what you've produced, and how you produced it, or stop talking.

solid7 said:
So, one more time.  You accused at least two of us of knowing nothing about worm farming.  WHERE ARE YOUR HOMEGROWN CASTINGS?

Show us what you've produced, and how you produced it, or stop talking.

Dear my friend. Please read the topic again. It's about Seedlings with worm castings. 
So I show you guys there exist premium grade worm casting that you can even directly sow seed into it. Furthermore your seedling will be super healthy. No need for fancy material. 

The process of making premium grade worm casting is another story.  Off topic.  So I guess i should follow your order.  Stop talking  :onfire: LOL

I don't understand your comparison post.  Which pile is actual peat moss, which pile is the accused peat moss... and what do your friends red worm castings have to do with anything?  Are they even featured?  The way you have it set up in your post, you are claiming the picture on the left is your 'magicfairlyand' worm castings that we were calling peat moss (which it obviously isn't now [perhaps those are the real castings of your friends?])  And the pile on the right, according to the way you structured your post, is apparently peat moss (which is what we said it was)?  Your post is very confusing.  No doubt the pile on the left looks to be real pure worm castings, while the pile on the right appears to be uncomposted peat moss with maybe a sprinkle of worm casting powder and sand/other additives.

Back