• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seeds for next year

I am new to this hobby but have had a blast so far. This year is my first real year to grow peppers. I did a decent job preparing the garden and have some real good soil. I planted almost 30 plants of different varieties and have had real good success with a lot of them. For some reason my Habenero plants were the only one's that didn't make it for some reason. I have been tasting each one to see what flavors I like the best and have expierimented with different sauces, salsa's and pickling. If I was more of a techy instead of just an old country boy in Texas I would post pictures so some of you pepper guru's could give me some advice on better preparing my garden and growing them. The one thing I did want to ask was about getting seeds from some of my favorite plants this year for planting next year. Is it worth it or better to just buy seeds. I would think it would be fairly simple to dry some seeds out and just package until next year but wanted to know if there is a secret to this process. Thanks in advance for any help.

The real trick, is guaranteeing that those seeds have not been cross pollinated.

Meaning: your favorite bell seeds could grow some mutant naga cross that would burn your face off.

There are methods of isolating plants, or manually pollinating say: a bell with a bell, that would produce the desired plant the next year.

Drying them is really simple, but some people have different methods. I remove the seeds and spread them out on a paper plate. Every other day or so I mix them around. I don't exactly have a time frame for drying them. When they look and feel dry to me I bag and label them.

As cheezy pointed out there are also different methods people use to keep the seeds they are saving pure. I use tulle bags that I made. They prevent bugs from cross pollinating flowers, but don't guarantee the wind won't. Here's an example...

IMG_0038-1.jpg

origamiRN said:
Welcome from west Texas!
What are some of your favorite peppers?
What would you like to grow next year?

Welcome.
The plants I have this year are:
Jalepeno, Big Jim, Cayenne, Bananna, Fresno, Paprika, Seranno, Bell, Tobasco, Firecracker Chile, Poblano, Las Cruces Chile, Barney and a couple of ornamental plants. It took a while after torrential rains and then straight to 100 degree days but now most plants are doing great.
For next year I am looking to really concentrate on some Habenero's. My 3 plants I planted this year never made it for some reason. I also want to try to find a Jalepeno plant that produces really large peppers. I have a wife with 6 other brothers and sisters, 7 grandkids with another on the way and a total of 9 nieces and nephews so we have a lot of family functions and BBQ's. They love my stuffed peppers and we use peppers and Habenero garlic in all of our briskets and when cooking any meat or fish. I am also going to concentrate more on making all kinds of pepper sauces.

I grow a lot of plants close together and am sure I get some crosses, but I buy my seeds every year for the standard varieties like the cayennes, jalapenos, serranos, etc...I save seed from my superhots tho and have had pretty good luck with germination and the pods look true...

I would recommend the Billy Biker or Jalapeno Ms for larger japs...

another pepper I would recommend for stuffing is the Myriachi Hybrid...the pod shape lends itself to stuffing really well...and the heat is a little less than a jalapeno...

there are lots of varieties of habaneros with the orange hab being the standard...each one of these habs have a different heat level to them and a little different flavor...you might want to try and see which ones grow good for you over the next couple of years and see which ones you like...I am growing red savinas, orange habs, caribbean reds, chocolate habs, and a couple of other varieties...the chocolates can be brutally hot IMO...

AlabamaJack,
Thanks for the info. My better half is the real gardner of the family but we have a couple of acres with some real good soil so I decided to take over half the garden and plant peppers and have had a blast with it. If you don't mind do you recommend anyone in particular for buying your seeds? I haven't found seeds for some of the peppers mentioned on this site.
Looks by your picture you probably frequent Billy Bob's. In my younger days I spent a lot of time in Big D at the Longhorn Ballroom watching the Possum, Hank Jr, Gary Stewart, Merle and others.
A childhood friend had a son go to Bama and play fullback during the Shaun Alexander days. He was from a little country town East of Dallas, Quinlan. Watching Dustin during those days made me a big Bama fan.

TBASSPEPPER said:
AlabamaJack,
Thanks for the info. My better half is the real gardner of the family but we have a couple of acres with some real good soil so I decided to take over half the garden and plant peppers and have had a blast with it. If you don't mind do you recommend anyone in particular for buying your seeds? I haven't found seeds for some of the peppers mentioned on this site.
Looks by your picture you probably frequent Billy Bob's. In my younger days I spent a lot of time in Big D at the Longhorn Ballroom watching the Possum, Hank Jr, Gary Stewart, Merle and others.
A childhood friend had a son go to Bama and play fullback during the Shaun Alexander days. He was from a little country town East of Dallas, Quinlan. Watching Dustin during those days made me a big Bama fan.

Our band (Bodie Powell and Borderline) have played the Longhorn a few times....and if you went to BBs in the 80s you probably saw Bodie...he and his band were the house band for about 5 years (5 or 6 nights a week)...

I am sorry your buddys son went to Bama (J/K)...WAR EAGLE...I am a duel degreed Auburn Grad...

cheezydemon said:
Yeah! What is that NEWMEX site AJ?;)

I recommend buying most, experimenting with a few.

I get most of my seeds from these three sites...

NMSU CPI

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/cpi-teaching-and-demonst.html

Tomato Growers

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/

Peppermania

http://www.peppermania.com/

all three have good varieties that produce good germination rates...

I also order some from Burpee when I order my veggie seeds...I ordered my onion sets from them this past season and believe it or not, they came from south Texas...

http://www.burpee.com/home.do

Back