• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seeds from a chocolate ghost are producing red ghosts.

Last year I received some chocolate Ghost and red 7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic (along with a few other varieties) in trade. I saved the seeds to plant this year.  The 7 Pot Congos are producing chocolate fruits and the chocolate Ghosts are producing red fruits.  From the looks of the pods they look like they should other than the color so they don't look like they crossed. I'll have to taste them once they fully ripen.  Is there anything else that could effect the color other than a possible cross?

I took pictures of the pods from last  year so I know I'm not losing my mind.

Browns and Whites are often newer and potentially unstable strains, in my experience.  It is not uncommon to plant seeds from a brown or a white pod and get something more like the original plant than like that particular mutation of it.  My 7-Pot BBG Chocolate both came in red this year, for an example.  That's why crosses can be frustrating.  Even if you get exactly what you were looking for in the F1 version, it can be incredibly difficult to keep that set of characteristics long enough to stabilize the strain.  That's one of the reasons I have so much respect for Troy O' the Primo's and Butch T.  Lot of work involved in getting that stuff right.

TakashiLM said:
any possibility that you just swapped the tagsof those 2? LOL

Nope, I didn't swap the tags, I've kept everything labeled from the get go.  Also they two pods look nothing alike.  The ghosts look like ghosts and the Congos look a Congo or chocolate habanero.

Slug said:
Browns and Whites are often newer and potentially unstable strains, in my experience.  It is not uncommon to plant seeds from a brown or a white pod and get something more like the original plant than like that particular mutation of it.  My 7-Pot BBG Chocolate both came in red this year, for an example.  That's why crosses can be frustrating.  Even if you get exactly what you were looking for in the F1 version, it can be incredibly difficult to keep that set of characteristics long enough to stabilize the strain.  That's one of the reasons I have so much respect for Troy O' the Primo's and Butch T.  Lot of work involved in getting that stuff right.

Thanks Slug.  It's my first year growing so I had no idea what to expect and I'm just glad that they are fruiting.  Hopefully they have a good flavor and a lot of heat.

Cross pollination, unstable strains, kids switching tags (lol)

ONLY SAVE SEED IF YOU'RE A GAMBLER!!!!!

Lol.

That said, I save seeds. I rely much more heavily on overwintering though.

cheezydemon3 said:
Cross pollination, unstable strains, kids switching tags (lol)

ONLY SAVE SEED IF YOU'RE A GAMBLER!!!!!

Lol.

That said, I save seeds. I rely much more heavily on overwintering though.

LOL yep, I'm mainly growing for myself and to share with some of my buddies so it's not a big deal.  It was just a surprise that both varieties swapped colors.

Both ghost plants look like ghosts and are producing identical pods.  One Congo has big pods and the other has smaller ones.  All are growing in grow bags, same potting soil, same mushroom compost and same fertilizer. 

At least my Scorpions look normal.

Bottom left and right are the Congo Giants, the two on the left are from one plant and the one on the right is from a different plant from the same source.

ggXEzT0.jpg

Back