• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seeds from frozen or pickled fruit.

Hi guys,

I am going to ask a question that will probably get the answer "it depends, you might get lucky".
Is it possible (has anyone had success with the following) Germinating seeds from frozen or pickled fruit.

You have a kickass preserved chilli with seeds and all, and you want to obtain a plant from it.

Primary example a surinamse pepper tafelzuur (table condiment) Ingredients: Surinamse pepper, salt, vinegar and herbs.
Will the vinegar and salt destroy the seeds?

Freezing will that also destroy the seeds.

Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks in Advance,

Mark.

freezing isnt so bad I have had chillies germinate from frozen chillies, but picked, "it depends, you might get lucky". but I dont think so!!!!

I have mixed results with frozen, annuum types have recovered but i purchased a bag of frozen scotch bonnets and they didn't germinate.
I wouldn't think pickled products would germinate, brine and all.

I have mixed results with frozen, annuum types have recovered but i purchased a bag of frozen scotch bonnets and they didn't germinate.
I wouldn't think pickled products would germinate, brine and all.

Agree, freezing would be mixed results at best, but pickling? Not a chance, IMO.

Frozen seeds are fine. That is how they are storing seeds in the "dooms day vault"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10603656

yep, its right:

"Seed storage

The seeds are stored in four-ply sealed envelopes, then placed into plastic tote containers on metal shelving racks. The storage rooms are kept at −18 °C (−0 °F). The low temperature and limited access to oxygen will ensure low metabolic activity and delay seed aging. The permafrost surrounding the facility will help maintain the low temperature of the seeds if the electricity supply should fail.
"

More info here: Svalbard Seed Vault

But if you take seeds from a frozen fruit it a very big chance that the seed is damaged as it most likely dident dry proper before it got frozen. and have some water in it that will crack it etc.

But i would bet on the frozen ones vs a canned one. But the grow rate gonna be bad bad so put allot of seeds down in ground could work ;)

But if you take seeds from a frozen fruit it a very big chance that the seed is damaged as it most likely dident dry proper before it got frozen. and have some water in it that will crack it etc.

Yeah I think you're right. Seeds that are dried, then frozen are probably fine because there is very little water left to expand and damage the seed. I've heard of a lot of people keeping seeds in their freezer for many years and then germinating them at pretty good rates. Seeds from whole frozen chiles are probably a lot less viable.

You might as well try though, you don't have much to lose. :)

can you post a picture of the pepper. what does it look like. Is it Chinese type or cayenne type etc. how about a clue on the shape and maybe we can come up with the pepper. a picture would be best. nothing like a picture.

Could it be the hot madame jeanette pepper from suriname.

http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=124287&c=103340&i=243011502

Come on give us some clues. You dont even say if it is hot or not. you dont give the color. nothing. Jeese. I like digging to find out things.

You might find it here.

http://www.thechilewoman.com/seedindex/

Now you have to give us some clues. I bet it is the yellow Madame Jeanette pepper which is less hot than the habanero.

If I guessed right then you owe me a few seeds for all my work. haha.

You are in Amsterdam

Well lucky you. Those peppers are available right in your home town.

Look at this picture of your fresh hot peppers taken right there in Amsterdam. Get over there and grab a dozen. They come in both Red and Yellow.

picture below. I could not get it to print. if you can get it to pring please do so.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31216636@N00/2919032746/

Thanks for the replys guys.

The peppers in the pickle are deffinately not (edited: standard) habs but a varient, they have a heart or strawberry shape, outer surface is smooth with slight folds. The Indonesian guy that sold them to me said they call them strawberry peppers. They have a fantastic aroma, lots of flavour a nice amount of heat that is long lasting whilst giving that fruity essence. That was why I wanted to try and get some seeds, I will try anyway. The manufacturer does not have a website. The chillies are the average size of a strawberry. This jar cost me two euro's because it was out of date and the last one he had. Normal price is 4 euro's but I had to try it.
See photo's.
sp003.jpg

sp2003.jpg

sp2004.jpg

sp004.jpg

Tabby Basco thanks for the reply.
These are not Jeanette or (edited: standard) habs or scotches I am pretty sure of that. The heat is different and the flavour quite sweet. I cook a lot with the type of fresh peppers in your picture, commercially available Madame Jeanettes, Habeneros and Scotch Bonnets might as well be the same thing to me (Sorry but I might go as far as to say that commercially they are all the same) or maybe the retailers don't know the difference. For me flavour is more important than outright heat. I have peppers, birdeye chillies from africa that set me on fire but only on the tip of my tongue, others that hit the back of the throat, To use the pepper in and amoungst food and sauces is what interests me. This Surinaamse pepper is full and slow with the heat but packed with flavour. Would be perfect for hot sauces and marinades. If the seeds work out then I will send you some. In the mean time I have asked my dentist (she is from Suriname) to find out more about this pepper.

Cheers Mark.

Back