• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seeds from Green Pods

I recently received some unripe pods of local peppers. Is it possible to collect seeds from these pods? Do I just wait for them to ripen and air dry them?

I know most have been unsuccessful in attempts to germinate seeds from green pods but it's always worth a try if that's the only seeds you have. I don't know if letting them ripen really does anything (please someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong) once the pepper is off of the plant. Good luck with them anyway!

the likelihood of germination is much higher on pods that have had time to ripen, however its not imposable to get seeds to ripen from green pod
i have found the longer there left to vine ripen the better the germination

thanks your friend Joe

3/5King and Joe, Thanks for the inputs. Yeah these would be the only source of seeds I have for this type of strain. It's actually a local variety or probably a heirloom of sorts since farmers from the province tells me they've been using the same seed for the past 3 decades. I'll post a photo of the pods in a while. I also have no clue what they are but they cook these and aren't very spicy at all. They taste mildly sour and a little bitter which is an acquired taste of sorts.

3/5King and Joe, Thanks for the inputs. Yeah these would be the only source of seeds I have for this type of strain. It's actually a local variety or probably a heirloom of sorts since farmers from the province tells me they've been using the same seed for the past 3 decades. I'll post a photo of the pods in a while. I also have no clue what they are but they cook these and aren't very spicy at all. They taste mildly sour and a little bitter which is an acquired taste of sorts.
no problem
do you know what stain it is did the farmer tell you what they where??
let us know it is if you know
i noticed your from the Philippines
the most common species from there are

Siling Labuyo(very hot)
Siling Haba(hot) most commonly found and grown by farmers
Siling Bilong(sweet)
Siling Lara(sweet)

hope this helps
thanks your friend Joe

Agree with ajijoe - it's not impossible to get seeds from green pods to sprout, it's just more difficult as they might not yet be viable. Often though, if the pod is full-sized but just not ripe, it can be done. If they're not yet full-sized, though, your chances are much reduced.

Hi Joe, I am familiar with these. Did you by any chance visit the Philippines? You seem to know a lot about the local strains.

Here are some photos.

SAM_0979_zps5f13d955.jpg

SAM_0980_zpsb55b1fe8.jpg

SAM_0981_zps41f71899.jpg

The farmers don't know what strain they are. All the Aetas (indigenous people of North Luzon in the Philippines) tell me is they have been planting these since they were young and some of them are over 50 years old. If you're familiar with adobo, they are cooked that way. Some grill them first then cook them adobo style like so:

SAM_0983_zps0b6b0dad.jpg

I feel they are a hybrid strain of Cayenne and Jalapeno. Some look a little long and some more round and stout. They have some heat in them but not as hot as the Labuyo. If I don't stop myself I can eat a kilo of these in one serving.

they are not Labuyo because Labuyo look like Tabasco,Haba look like Cayennes, Siling Bilong look like sweet horn peppers
Siling Lara might be a touch hot but are a little sweet i believe, im thinking they might be Siling Lara, im sure theeree are a few others grown in your country im not aware of yet
again i hope this helps
thanks your friend Joe

Yeah, the seeds are more viable the more ripe the fruit is, but you can also germinate the seeds from a lot of not fully ripened pods as well.

Usually, you will be able to examine the seeds from a green pod, and determine which appear to be the most viable.

Just choose the ones that look the most developed and mature. As long as you pick a well developed seed, I haven't noticed a lot of difference between mature seeds from green pods and more fully matured seeds.

i was given a mustard hab that was picked early because of frost coming in from a friend at work. i let it sit out and it eventually turned mustard. i dried half of it out and planted the seeds with my starts, and i have a couple seedlings now. i have tried using seeds straight from green pods without success. i was happy that letting this hab ripen worked. The pod was close enough to changing color that it was able to turn. Hopefully you can do the same if the pods are mature enough, and end up with some plants. Good luck either way!

Back