• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seeds in the ground

Hey guys

I'm fairly new to gardening, so the seeds I bought came with instructions and I try to follow them as closely as possible!!!

i think I have a problem, do not know yet. I started to plant the seeds, on Tuesday, in these average sized grow bags, ok, but the instructions says grow them in the shade(i grow them outside btw, with mother nature) and the instructions says the soil needs to be between 18 - 20 celcuis (64.4 - 68 F),and because spring only started today, the shade wont get the soil that high(assumption). ATM I placed these grow bags in direct sunlight in the morning, for 4 hours, only (when the sun isn't as harsh,also an assumption) to heat up the soil and then before noon place them in the shade again.

Should I rather plant them in smaller containers so there is less soil to "warm up" before its to late and leave them in the shade and/or just do what I'm doing now and move them into direct sunlight for a few hours a day?

When i planted the seeds the instructions said place the seed on good compost and cover with vermiculite and did this as well as using the greenhouse effect on the grow bags(plastic film or glad wrap over the bags) to keep moisture in.

And I tried to get a soil thermometer, useless these gardening centers I tell you, as after like 4 hours of driving around got none, as well as trying to get a food thermometer which ended in a dead end as well. Looks like we South Africans like to guess when food is done :lol:

Any help will be much appreciated.

I've never started my superhots outside before…always inside. They don't need any light until they sprout and have leaves, you must have plenty of devices that generate heat around the house. They like it between 80°>85°F and once in a great while a touch more.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the post SuperHot

Will a reptile heating mat work, it doesnt have a regulator, its max temp goes to around 35C(95F). I can hook it up to a electrical timer to keep the heat down. Will it be fine then to say(if the reptile mat works) to just put my trays straight on it with no cover, on a table(next to my computer desk) with no light?

And maybe just wrap the trays in plastic film/glad wrap again?

Took the reptile heating mat and hooked it to a standard dimmer switch, all looks good(It works for the moment).

Ill repot the seeds to smaller containers and bring them indoors until they have sprouted, ill play around with where im going to put it, luckily for me there are more jalapeno seeds than I need so its experiment time =).

If i have any luck ill link what I have.

Happy growing

First off, what type of seeds did you purchase? That will play into the growing methods/temps. For superhots, you want somewhere between 85-87 degrees (give or take) and from what you said, the temps you have are pretty low for germination. I would definitely recommend supplementing the heat to get it up in the high 80s. +1 On the thermometer. Also, I would keep the top on until the first seed pops up to keep the moisture/humidity up and then as soon as the first one pops, give them light.

If you could post some pics that would also give everyone a better idea of how to help. Keep us updated!

Matt

Do you have a thermometer?
I couldn't find a normal thermometer for soil, but am using a borrowed refrigerator thermometer from my uncle and am getting temp between 75f (without towel over the trays) - 85f with a towel over the trays

First off, what type of seeds did you purchase? That will play into the growing methods/temps. For superhots, you want somewhere between 85-87 degrees (give or take) and from what you said, the temps you have are pretty low for germination. I would definitely recommend supplementing the heat to get it up in the high 80s. +1 On the thermometer. Also, I would keep the top on until the first seed pops up to keep the moisture/humidity up and then as soon as the first one pops, give them light. If you could post some pics that would also give everyone a better idea of how to help. Keep us updated!Matt
]

Atm,as a test, i have some choc bhut jolokia's, jalapeno's, mulato's, few bell peppers and pink tomato's on this reptile mat. Ill post some pics as soon as I can. I got an half size florescent light casing(without bulbs) at a 2nd hand shop aswell.

Can I combine the two(heating mat and light) for a better result at this stage or only when they start breaking thru?

Also, when you use a standard seedling heating mat, do you leave it on or turn them off at nights? so far my reptile mat have been running 24/7

Thanks for the posts and interest shown guys, I see some of these guys with awesome looking plants and pods and tell myself, I want that so bad ( :) , tears and a drum roll)

Ill work on getting the photos of my setup

Germination is the most difficult part of the growing process IMHO. I mean, to learn it. I was under the impression one just buries the seeds under the dirt & viola!. A lot of dirt is too heavy and smothers the seed, as it were, and prevents the seed cap from penetrating the surface not to mention it may lower the temp. Seeds don't need dirt to germinate, only to grow.
I just started using jiffy pellets, placing a few seeds in the hole, uncovered, and maintaining the temp, others have posted, while keeping the moisture in using your method of a plastic wrap. After thay have sprouted and taken hold. I replant the entire pellet into a pot w/ dirt (see below). Here's one I just sprouted the other day using this method:

6112436387_4ced48e17c_z.jpg

Germination is the most difficult part of the growing process IMHO. I mean, to learn it. I was under the impression one just buries the seeds under the dirt & viola!. A lot of dirt is too heavy and smothers the seed, as it were, and prevents the seed cap from penetrating the surface not to mention it may lower the temp. Seeds don't need dirt to germinate, only to grow. I just started using jiffy pellets, placing a few seeds in the hole, uncovered, and maintaining the temp, others have posted, while keeping the moisture in using your method of a plastic wrap. After thay have sprouted and taken hold. I replant the entire pellet into a pot w/ dirt (see below). Here's one I just sprouted the other day using this method

Yea, I know what you mean,last year,when I failed at my 1st attempt at growing chilli's, I thought "Just plant the seeds in full sunlight and it'll grow" :cool: !! Magically I got 3 that grew and 1 failed when I transplanted them outside :crazy:

Here's my Setup, be blunt and tell me what you think about it. That's the way you learn.

6113304726_469ac6a286.jpg

6112758191_b56a953a39.jpg

6113300414_b5b679392d.jpg

Flickr

Maybe a towel matching the room is a good start

I think you will find the mesh on the outside of the peat pellets will impede your root growth...just sayin'

Can I combine the two(heating mat and light) for a better result at this stage or only when they start breaking thru?

Also, when you use a standard seedling heating mat, do you leave it on or turn them off at nights? so far my reptile mat have been running 24/7
I think you are on a good track with that set up. I use plastic wrap like that. I remove it once a day to give the plants fresh air and check moisture.

Keep the heat on 24/7, but no light needed until germination. As soon as plants are popping up, remove the plastic and turn off the heat. Give them plenty of light as soon as possible AFTER they pop up. Temps of 65F after that are fine.

Indoor lights are your next immediate concern. What are your plans for lighting?

Good job so far. Looking forward to seeing the babies.... :cool:

I think you are on a good track with that set up. I use plastic wrap like that. I remove it once a day to give the plants fresh air and check moisture.Keep the heat on 24/7, but no light needed until germination. As soon as plants are popping up, remove the plastic and turn off the heat. Give them plenty of light as soon as possible AFTER they pop up. Temps of 65F after that are fine.Indoor lights are your next immediate concern. What are your plans for lighting?Good job so far. Looking forward to seeing the babies.... :cool:

Thanks alot

Ill be using half sized Florescent lights. I have some wood lying around(see what the designer in me will do to mount the casing).

Oh and here's some pics of a "Doomsday" chilli plant I bought at the nursery I bought my soil from. I googled the plant and came up only with "chilli's should be stored in the doomsday vault". So as soon as they have some pods itll be time for "Spot the not" scenario :)

6115310718_c7cacc5426.jpg

6114764153_27446fb4c1.jpg

Forgot to mention that I had basil in the big tray and it sprouted this morning, so this is working for basil sofar, ( if all else fails Ill have pesto atleast :) )

6114786145_650a0277da.jpg
6114790817_ebfa56fdb8.jpg

Flickr

Thanks Guys

Back