• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds seeds still good

Well I got a few peppers that the birds took one bit from them and left them alone. I left it alone and it riped its color. But I was told the seeds might not be no good to use? Any true to this?? Thanks in advance

The potential issue that might occur is that the broken skin will allow bugs and potential pathogens (mold/fungus spores) to easily enter the pod. That shouldn't be much of a problem for you, though, because you religiously soak seeds in a hydrogen peroxide bath before trying to germinate them or before giving them to others to germinate. Right?  ;)

LA 2 the Bay said:
Birds eat peppers and drop seeds that is how the the next generation of pepper plant is planted. That's how peppers plants multiply in the wild. Seeds are fine
Just a slight twist to a factual statement. Birds also ingest peppers and their seeds. Many wild pepper seeds are protected from the birds digestive enzymes and pass through their digestive system unscathed and are thus dispensed in sometimes far away places from origin.

Back