• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

seeds Seeds...?

no just, timezones my friend. you posted 11:48 PM on the west coast, rest of the lower 48 are most likely asleep.
now it's 1 : ).

i've heard that you get less seeds from bhuts, but expect to get a lot of them none the less. they all have a good probability of germination.

I don't know about a Bhut Pod; but one Habanero pod will yield more than enough seeds for a hobby grower. I wouldn't worry it too much. If you get more than 2 ripe pods you'll be in tall cotton. ;)

But seriously, PRF says that if you get a good many seeds then it is most likely pure seed, if you get a small amount they are most likely crossed. Just an idea. I will say 20 though.

I don't think number of seeds has anything to do with a pepper being crossed or not. I believe the number of seeds has to do with how successfully pollination occurs. Each individual grain of pollen can pollinate and become a seed so in theory I believe you could have crossed and non crossed seeds within the same pod

Ok im just chiming in since Im finding this a bit interesting. So would a pod with 20 seeds be a stronger more viable genetic candidate than a pod with only 5 seeds?

I wouldn't say a heavily seeds pod would be a stronger more viable genetic candidate as much as it just having good conditions for full, proper pollination.

If what millman is saying what PRF believes is true then yes crazy8. More seeds, the more likely they are pure. Personally I'm not sure. Every Bhut plant I've grown has come from seeds that I purchased from the CPI at NMSU so I'm going to assume they are pure. I've seen pods with just a couple of seeds and I've seen them with many. No significant difference in the exterior of the pods either.

Here's another question to ponder. Do heavily seeded chile pods have more placental tissue and therefore more heat as well? I met a Jamaican sauce maker to give him some fresh hot pepper samples and the first thing he did was cut them open to look at seed count to judge heat. I though this was strange, but after thinking about it, he may be right. Any thought or opinions?

The evolutionary purpose of the heat is to protect the pod (seeds actually, since the pod is just a seed sack) from most animals (except birds which are the best method of seed dispersal). Better or more complete pollination of the flower does seem to affect pod shape somewhat and may cause differences in the amount of placental tissue supporting the seed, so pollination could be a factor in the total capsaicin contained in a particular pod. Pollination will vary widely on a single plant or complete field harvest though, so how many pods does the buyer need to slice b4 offering a price. ;)

Most of my tepin fruit had only 1, very large seed, it had a searing heat for a few moments.
The pollination thing may explain why my over wintered pods that are ready now are no where near as hot as last year, especially my suryanki cluster - it appears to be sweeter this year and no sizzling heat like last year.
I manually pollinate my plants with a moistened qtip and I touch each flower on the plant but I don't know if my technique is proven as it was just a guess on my part - plus I am no bee though have been told to "buzz off" a lot.

Back