• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding selective breeding

im wondering if there is anyone expirenced with breeding peppers for a desired trait that can answer this. if you get a strange looking

pod on a plant for example a pronounced tail and you grow those seeds will the next generation plant have more pods with pronounced

tails? and if so how long did it take you until you start getting the majority of pods on a plant to look similar. 

That's the idea behind it but it comes down to absolute chance and a crap ton of luck.

f1 0%
f2 50%
f3 75%
f4 87.5%
f5 93.7%
f6 96.8%
f7 98.5%
f8 99.2%
f9 99.6%
f10 99.8%

Another chap on this forum sent me that. He suggested that is the chart of stability of traits and cross pollination. Every F is a season, you're looking at close to 10 years on producing a stable strain. Its all natural selection, except you try to play the selection role, you pick out the pods which you desire and try breed them, isolated, in your next season. If the plant produces similar looking fruits, you pick those, again, and you grow them, until you've gone through the process long and deep enough that more and more, eventually majority of the pods look like your target pod.

From my understanding, that's how it works. It could all fall flat on its face too, you could have absolutely 0 pods which have the traits of the pod you're trying to breed.

newpeppergrower1105 said:
im wondering if there is anyone expirenced with breeding peppers for a desired trait that can answer this. if you get a strange looking

pod on a plant for example a pronounced tail and you grow those seeds will the next generation plant have more pods with pronounced

tails? and if so how long did it take you until you start getting the majority of pods on a plant to look similar.
To make a selection you need to have a set of more than one plant. The goal is to select the one that conforms and grow the next generation from the seed it produces.

harry said:
To make a selection you need to have a set of more than one plant. The goal is to select the one that conforms and grow the next generation from the seed it produces.
im not sure understand, so select a pod and grow various plants and continue the process for various generations correct?

im not sure understand, so select a pod and grow various plants and continue the process for various generations correct?

As I said dude, if you have one pod right now, only one single pod that has a nice long tail, select its seeds. Grow them next year, as many plants as you desire. From all the plants that grow, select the pods again which show the tail that you want and do the same thing, select those seeds, plant and wait for the next crop. Don't plant them near other pepper plants since you're trying to grow a strain, you do not want them to be cross pollinated as that will push you back to square one. Its a long process, something which takes alot of time, alot of dedication, alot of patience and alot of patience, time and dedication! You can definitely speed up the process if you are growing indoors since you can control the environment and ensure no cross pollination(isolated grow room), you can give heat, you can give light and you can potentially do 2, maybe push for a 3rd generation in one year. From what I know, a pepper plant should be mature enough to produce peppers at approx 4 months old. This does, technically, give you the room to have 3 generations in a year but likely you'll do two.

I hope I'm right with my understanding of how this stuff works. I have not done anything like this my self, yet, but since it does interest me, I have read up and asked questions and this is what I have came up with at the end of the day!

The appearance of one fruit on one plant does not convey information about the appearance of future fruits on future plants. i.e. A fruit containing hybrid seed due to cross pollination will not necessarily appear any different to other fruit containing self-pollinated on the plant.

The selection is one of a plant from a set of plants that most exhibits the desired trait.

I for example had one out of five Scotch Bonnet TFM plants that yielded fruits with stinger like tails. My selection would be of the plant that produced the fruits with the stingers. The plants of the next season would be grown from seed from the selected plant with the aim to find a plant with more conforming fruits.

Sarge said:

As I said dude, if you have one pod right now, only one single pod that has a nice long tail, select its seeds. Grow them next year, as many plants as you desire. From all the plants that grow, select the pods again which show the tail that you want and do the same thing, select those seeds, plant and wait for the next crop. Don't plant them near other pepper plants since you're trying to grow a strain, you do not want them to be cross pollinated as that will push you back to square one. Its a long process, something which takes alot of time, alot of dedication, alot of patience and alot of patience, time and dedication! You can definitely speed up the process if you are growing indoors since you can control the environment and ensure no cross pollination(isolated grow room), you can give heat, you can give light and you can potentially do 2, maybe push for a 3rd generation in one year. From what I know, a pepper plant should be mature enough to produce peppers at approx 4 months old. This does, technically, give you the room to have 3 generations in a year but likely you'll do two.

I hope I'm right with my understanding of how this stuff works. I have not done anything like this my self, yet, but since it does interest me, I have read up and asked questions and this is what I have came up with at the end of the day!
thanks for the info  :D this was just in theory i dont plan on doing it i currently have no pods due left :tear:

harry said:
The appearance of one fruit on one plant does not convey information about the appearance of future fruits on future plants. i.e. A fruit containing hybrid seed due to cross pollination will not necessarily appear any different to other fruit containing self-pollinated on the plant.

The selection is one of a plant from a set of plants that most exhibits the desired trait.

I for example had one out of five Scotch Bonnet TFM plants that yielded fruits with stinger like tails. My selection would be of the plant that produced the fruits with the stingers. The plants of the next season would be grown from seed from the selected plant with the aim to find a plant with more conforming fruits.
thanks thats what i was asking!, if it where possible to breed a trait on one pod thanks! 

Back