Selling Plants

My plan is to bring on a few hundred plants and sell them at local car booty's.

I have just purchased these

pics004.jpg

250 10.5cm pots and a few carry trays.

My question is what would you guys expect the general public would be prepared to pay at car booty's for good chilli and tomato varieties??
Bare in mind they will be for sale much earlier than they will be in garden centres.

BTW I am in the Uk

What varieties do you intend to try and sell? In my experience, if they're common, and they can be purchased for significantly less at a garden center, you might be stuck with the plants. If they're too exotic, people tend to pass on them; they all say they want to try something different, but when you offer them something too different *shrug*

If would be hard to say what would be a good price because I don't know what pepper plants go for where you live, and what the market for pepper plants is like. Around here, the vast majority of people want bell peppers, jalapenos, and maybe a cayenne or two. Now, that being said, if you get one with a pod showing, no matter how pitiful the plant is, it will sell.

I was thinking about this more (the plant issue, not getting motion sick). It kinda depends on how tall and developed they are. For example, I would pay $1 for a seedling that only has one set of true leaves. However I would pay $5 for a plant that's a few inches tall with a few sets of true leaves.

It also depends on the variety of pepper plant. The tomatoes varieties I don't think would matter much as far as impacting the price.

Its nice bucks. People think about it because its vegetarian and they put tomato and flowers. what prices did you pay for single piece. what you think. I think public will tansion.

amit said:
Its nice bucks. People think about it because its vegetarian and they put tomato and flowers. what prices did you pay for single piece. what you think. I think public will tansion.

eh?

Anyway, here its $5 per plant, and they usually dont sell until they are a few months old (they get separation anxiety otherwise), and they may have a pod or 10.

I'm wondering the same thing. I know that the big stores around here sell a bell or a jalapeno in a 3" peat pot for $3.50 - that's a thin spindly thing with about 3 or 4 pairs of true leaves. Or they sell a 9-pack flat of small ones for the same price. So... I figure mine will have to be as old as theirs but healthier looking or older with some buds starting to get much attention for the same price. OR I can drop the price, sell them young and go for volume, which I can't handle this year.

Except for a few Jolokias, all my tomato and peppers plants cost $2.50. The toms and Bhuts are in 3" cells, the peppers in 2x3" cells. Also have some Giant Indiana Cockscomb flowers that will go for the same price as well as Sweet and Thai Basil. I hope to have some cukes, melons and a few rare Green beans but haven't sowed those yet.

My expensive flowers are Pink and Red Angel Trumpets and Daturas, as well as Kenaf Hibiscus. The hibiscus I'll sell for $5 but the others will be at least $12.50, maybe $15 each. A google search hasn't turned up anyone selling them in Cincy and the price is competitive with on-line stores but there is no shipping cost.

you have to figure your materials...soil, seed, ferts (if you use any), 'tricity if you grow under lights...after you figure that, triple it and that should be about right....I will be asking 6 USD for my Bhuts, Fataliis, Naga Morich...these are all in 3" square contianers...as the containers get bigger, so does the cost...

caroltlw said:
How old/big do you let them get before selling?

They usually have five or more sets of leaves, though the first set often falls off. Just to test it, I pulled one plant up and the entire container was full of roots. Not root bound yet, still plenty of them.

Mike

AlabamaJack said:
you have to figure your materials...soil, seed, ferts (if you use any), 'tricity if you grow under lights...after you figure that, triple it and that should be about right....

AJ,

As it turns out, I'm probably right in this ballpark. But to be fair, I should amortize my capital expenditures over their life expectancy. I figure I've spent about $400 on bulbs and lumber that I won't have to replace for five or more years.

Another important factor is what the competition is charging. Some of my flowers (Angels Trumpets and Daturas) will cost $12.50 and it only cost me a few pennies more per plant than the toms or peppers. Yet most on-line stores are selling them for $15 or more plus shipping. I don't know of anyplace in the city selling them.

Mike

Back