Sepia Serpent bites me!!!

Thanks go to Vincent (coheed196) and Conor, (saugapepper) for arranging to send me these peppers so I could try the Sepia Serpent. 

This was a really hot and painful pepper. However, it was not as hot as I expected and definitely not as hot as others I`ve had recently (7-pot savannah, primo, barrackpore). The heat came on slowly and didn`t ever ignite my mouth into flames, but smoldered away. 

It gave me pretty bad stomach cramps, but only for about 40 minutes, after which they went away completely. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjCQtqsvFo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUvpwCBbWBXpc-AzNlkEf8RA

You handled it like a Champ Nigel. When I first tried it at silver surfer's garden last year, before he had even named it. It had me in serious pain man. Of course my tolerance is basically nothing, I will eat supers but only on food or as powder on food. So it hit me like a ton of bricks. I have a couple of others I'll send you if you're interested.

Nice review Nigel. Can not help but wonder what factors into the bad cramps and if the culprit of the cramps is something specific to specific peppers or not.

Love the review NC. Really like the ping pong ball analogy. Vincent is a extremely generous guy and so is Conor. You ( and I )  are very fortunate to such great chili friends. Looking at the inner walls it reminded me of a brainstrain. Placenta latened.  Some of the hotter peppers I have noticed work the gut more than the mouth. Must have to do with different capsinoids. And I also believe your tolerance is about as high as you can get. Vincent sure know's how to grow em. Beautiful pods. 

romy6 said:
Love the review NC. Really like the ping pong ball analogy. Vincent is a extremely generous guy and so is Conor. You ( and I )  are very fortunate to such great chili friends. Looking at the inner walls it reminded me of a brainstrain. Placenta latened.  Some of the hotter peppers I have noticed work the gut more than the mouth. Must have to do with different capsinoids. And I also believe your tolerance is about as high as you can get. Vincent sure know's how to grow em. Beautiful pods. 

Fortunate isn`t the right word, it`s much more than that. So many people on THP have been incredibly generous to me, it`s amazing. And that includes you, Jamie. Top of the list, in fact!

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. This is an incredible community and it really does renew my faith in humanity on an almost daily basis.

Jamie - for me, the stomach issues do not correspond to how hot or painful the peppers were in my mouth/throat. However, I`m wondering whether how the placenta is built up vs the amount of pepper flesh might not allow all the capsaicin to be felt during a 30-45 second chew. Your stomach then bears the brunt of the oil 30 minutes later, not your mouth. In the case of the Sepia Sepent, there is almost no pepper flesh and tons of placenta. This must influence the flavor a lot, but may also not all allow the oil to be felt as it doesn`t come out of the placenta without the aid of a lot of juicy pepper flesh. Just a thought.
coheed196 said:
You handled it like a Champ Nigel. When I first tried it at silver surfer's garden last year, before he had even named it. It had me in serious pain man. Of course my tolerance is basically nothing, I will eat supers but only on food or as powder on food. So it hit me like a ton of bricks. I have a couple of others I'll send you if you're interested.
Thanks Vincent. Really different type of pod and flavour, at least in my limited experience. Can`t thank you enough for sending them. I`m always interested, but I may need a drink next time  :drunk:

Nigel said:
Thanks Vincent. Really different type of pod and flavour, at least in my limited experience. Can`t thank you enough for sending them. I`m always interested, but I may need a drink next time  :drunk:
Well I'll definitely send you another care package. I would only ask you to review a couple of them. (one is a cross of mine) and the other would be a UBSC, unless you've done that one already

Props on scarfing the entire pod. I ate a sliver when chopping one of these up for my eggs this morning. The sliver made me tear up. I also maced the wife while sautéing it with some shallots and butter for my eggs.

Back