• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SETHSQUATCH GROW BIG LOG WITH puny hammer

Ok. I'm in the ring. This is really my first year growing from seed and may as well be my first year ever. Last year we had a bag garden (which was pretty weak), and Justaguy contributed a couple of bucket plants later in the season (awesome).

So, just to get this out in the open early, I'm a little OCD. DANGER PLANTS! DANGER! FLEE FROM THE FURRY ONE! My natural tendency is to, well, let's just call it over-love my plants. "You like fertilizer? Well you'll love it straight from the bottle!"

One of my bigger hurdles is to just let the plants do their thing. I mean, I have grown up in a culture of drive-thru instant gratification, which doesn't exactly breed patience… But I'm working on it. Trying to tread gently through the grow instead of STOMP STOMP TEAR BREAK YELL. So far, so goodish?

Well I currently have 93 babies and about that many more in the germination station. Did I mention I like to go all out when starting a project? Does my car need a ejector seat and a rocket engine? Absolutely. Do I need cybernetic appendages and the ability to shoot lasers from my eyes? Most definitely.

Sooooooo. 93 plants. Alive and growing under lights. Here is my count as of this morning.

Scorpion (Moruga) (Justaguy)- 11
Scorpion (Butch T) (Alphaeon by way of Jstaguy)- 7
Brain Strain
(Justaguy) - 1
Yellow 7 pot/pod (Justaguy) - 3
Douglah (cmpman) - 8
Fatalii (Pepper Guru)- 8
Avery Island Tabasco - 4
Thai Fire
(Justaguy) - 13
Caribbean Red Habanero (Justaguy) - 26
Aji Yellow (Aji Joe) - 6
Naga x 7 pot/pod cross (Justaguy) - 1
Chinese Cabbage, Autumn Torch Hybrid - 3
Unknown pepper - 4

Here is a list of what's in the germination station right now.

Bhut Indian Carbon x Yellow 7 cross (Spicegeist by way of MJdiamond)
Criolla De Cocina (MJdiamond)
Biker Billy Jalapenos
Tabasco
Early Girl Tomatoes
Genovese Basil
Cilantro
Broccoli
Chinese Cabbage Autumn Torch Hybrid

Poblano
Cayenne
Hot Cherry
Dill
Nu mex

My initial germination of the first round of seedlings was done in peat pellets. They came with the tray so I figured I'd use them. NEVER AGAIN. Those things were a real pain in the ass to keep properly moistened. As soon as I could, I removed my sprouts from them and transferred into seed starting mix. Lost a few on the way but nothing to worry about. It's pretty likely I will be sharing some of these plants with some friends the way it is.

I kept my light on 24/7 for the first 2 weeks and then switched to an 18/6 cycle. Right now I am top watering and misting as needed. I was told that top watering helps get rid of all the bad buildups in the soil. Don't know if that's true or not, but whatever. I am trying to base my watering on tray weight. For nutrients I am using Pro Bloom, Liquid Karma, and a weekly compost tea brewed for 24 hours with an air stone in a bucket. All of my water also sits out for at least 24 hours before use to eliminate any chlorine.

Now, I really want to switch soil at this point but I am going to resist. For one, it costs more than I can swing right now.

My setup has evolved from one 2 bulb light fixture to a modified in ceiling fluorescent donated and wired by Justaguy. I drilled some holes, added u-bolts, and used carabiners and chains to hang the fixture from the bar in the closet. This way I can adjust as needed for light height. I can raise one side higher as well if necessary, which is also nice. I have some reflective film on the back wall and closet door to help recapture and reflect some of that escaping light. That's it. My setup.

Here are some pics. I will update with a million questions, and progress as I am able. My next post will probably be showing my outside grow area once the damn rain stops and I can snap some pictures. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Initial setup:

Upgrade:

Peppers 2/29/12 (just one tray but they are pretty similar):

Just a quick update. Friends pepp3rfreak and justaguy came over to kick some ass this weekend. pepp3rfreak brought his big old rear tine tiller and mounded the pepper bed. We then fenced it in and added fabric to the mounds. Now if it would just get warm...

Oh, and you can see my awesome new compost tumbler in the background! Love it.

That plot looks professionally done. Man, that's how I'd do it if I had that space. Theres nothing like "hilling" with wide row spacing.

By looking at the photo which way is "South" ....left or right?

Greg

That plot looks professionally done. Man, that's how I'd do it if I had that space. Theres nothing like "hilling" with wide row spacing.

By looking at the photo which way is "South" ....left or right?

Greg

Thanks Greg. South is to the right.

Looks great, Seth! Your gonna have a lot of fun working in that growing area. How's it going with the veggies bed? :D

It's going ok. I will post an update on them soon. We have rain and cold and even snow pretty close by. Looks like everything is doing well. I'll have to see after this cold snap.

Awesome plot Seth! Don't worry about those cool weather veggies either, they'll be fine; I had back to back light frosts during this past week, all the seedlings (Snow peas, loose-leaf lettuce, kohlrabi, brussels sprouts, carrots, daikon radishes and broccoli) made it through just fine. They struggled more with the few days in the 70's and 80's before it got cold again!

Lookin good Seth... this reminds me I'd better fence my plot in.I just got the 2nd installation of plants in the ground ,set the remaining pots in the walkways and installed a drip system...then leave 2 hrs later to catch a midnight boat. That weed cloth is worth its weight in gold!

Awesome plot Seth. I need to find some indentured.....errr friends to help me out. I will be planting in 3 different locations probably. I have room to fit them all but I like my lawn. Did you guys get any snow? Missed us so far.

Awesome plot Seth! Don't worry about those cool weather veggies either, they'll be fine; I had back to back light frosts during this past week, all the seedlings (Snow peas, loose-leaf lettuce, kohlrabi, brussels sprouts, carrots, daikon radishes and broccoli) made it through just fine. They struggled more with the few days in the 70's and 80's before it got cold again!

Everything looks good out there and the weather is going back to normal.

Really nice garden plot! How many plants you gonna put in there? Love the tumbler too!

I am doing 8 plants on each of the 6 mounds. So 48. My final list of peppers has changed somewhat. I'll update that once everyone is in the ground. Only then will I know for sure!

Lookin good Seth... this reminds me I'd better fence my plot in.I just got the 2nd installation of plants in the ground ,set the remaining pots in the walkways and installed a drip system...then leave 2 hrs later to catch a midnight boat. That weed cloth is worth its weight in gold!

That's what I figured. It's my first year and I need any help I can get!

Awesome plot Seth. I need to find some indentured.....errr friends to help me out. I will be planting in 3 different locations probably. I have room to fit them all but I like my lawn. Did you guys get any snow? Missed us so far.

We didn't get any snow. Thankfully. I'm glad it missed you since you were way more in the danger zone.

I was just about to ask the same thing. Looking good Seth!

No snow. Hope your plants are kicking it well in the hoophouse!

update time!!!!!.....hahahaha-thats funny since since I only have 1 entry really in mine, and it'll be 3-4 more days til Isee em again! Hope its goin well...did you get the dog yet?

update time!!!!!.....hahahaha-thats funny since since I only have 1 entry really in mine, and it'll be 3-4 more days til Isee em again! Hope its goin well...did you get the dog yet?

Oh yes. Bronson is ours. There are pictures of him on page 4. I am waiting on plant out for the next update. We've been getting some weird frost lately. All the plants are doing well. Just growing and waiting.

IT'S DONE!

Today was plant out. I have been waiting for this day for a year. Ever since joining here, meeting Justaguy, and having my eyes (and mouth) blown open by the hot pepper world. My whole everything has changed. Period. So thanks to those of you who have inspired me along the way and who continue to inspire me.

Yesterday, I got everything ready for today's mission. I cut and placed all my bamboo that I had cured over winter, I sorted my plants based on there permanent homes, and gathered my tools.

When I woke up this morning, I got to it. Took longer than I thought.

AND THEN THERE WERE APHIDS. DAMN.

So, while inspecting my plants I noticed the helpful ants had been farming aphids. Squish, squash, and ye olde soap/oil/water spray and pray. Obviously I will be monitoring that closely. Ladybugs will be coming soon to a garden near me. And mantis. I'm going all out war on bugs this year by stocking my area with predators.

But, alas, the plants have all found a home. The rest is just dealing with issues as they arise. And then harvesting a bunch of peppers and eating them. That's the dream. Here is the finished bed.

Here is the row list from near to far and left to right

Row 1
Tabasco - 4
Avery Island Tabasco - 2
IC Bhut x Yellow 7 - 2

Row 2
Thai Fire - 2
Biker Billy Jalapeno - 5

Jimmy Nardello - 1 (missing till I pick it up from Justaguy)

Row 3
Caribbean Red Habanero - 3
Fatalii Yellow - 3
Naga Morich x 7 pot - 1
Brain Strain - 1

Row 4
Aji Yellow - 2
Yellow 7 - 2
Cayenne - 2
Cherry - 2

Row 5
Butch T - 3
New Mex - 2
Morouga - 3

Row 6
Poblano - 6
Douglah - 2

I had about ten extra plants afterword (I gave a bunch to Justaguy for flea market purposes). I went around the yard and picked different spots, dug holes, filled with leaf compost, and planted them in. They are my "good luck, you're on your own" plants. It will be interesting for me to see how they do compared to my other peppers.

Also, the veggie bed has been taking off.

Thanks for looking! Chili cheers!

Back