• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SETHSQUATCH GROW BIG LOG WITH puny hammer

Ok. I'm in the ring. This is really my first year growing from seed and may as well be my first year ever. Last year we had a bag garden (which was pretty weak), and Justaguy contributed a couple of bucket plants later in the season (awesome).

So, just to get this out in the open early, I'm a little OCD. DANGER PLANTS! DANGER! FLEE FROM THE FURRY ONE! My natural tendency is to, well, let's just call it over-love my plants. "You like fertilizer? Well you'll love it straight from the bottle!"

One of my bigger hurdles is to just let the plants do their thing. I mean, I have grown up in a culture of drive-thru instant gratification, which doesn't exactly breed patience… But I'm working on it. Trying to tread gently through the grow instead of STOMP STOMP TEAR BREAK YELL. So far, so goodish?

Well I currently have 93 babies and about that many more in the germination station. Did I mention I like to go all out when starting a project? Does my car need a ejector seat and a rocket engine? Absolutely. Do I need cybernetic appendages and the ability to shoot lasers from my eyes? Most definitely.

Sooooooo. 93 plants. Alive and growing under lights. Here is my count as of this morning.

Scorpion (Moruga) (Justaguy)- 11
Scorpion (Butch T) (Alphaeon by way of Jstaguy)- 7
Brain Strain
(Justaguy) - 1
Yellow 7 pot/pod (Justaguy) - 3
Douglah (cmpman) - 8
Fatalii (Pepper Guru)- 8
Avery Island Tabasco - 4
Thai Fire
(Justaguy) - 13
Caribbean Red Habanero (Justaguy) - 26
Aji Yellow (Aji Joe) - 6
Naga x 7 pot/pod cross (Justaguy) - 1
Chinese Cabbage, Autumn Torch Hybrid - 3
Unknown pepper - 4

Here is a list of what's in the germination station right now.

Bhut Indian Carbon x Yellow 7 cross (Spicegeist by way of MJdiamond)
Criolla De Cocina (MJdiamond)
Biker Billy Jalapenos
Tabasco
Early Girl Tomatoes
Genovese Basil
Cilantro
Broccoli
Chinese Cabbage Autumn Torch Hybrid

Poblano
Cayenne
Hot Cherry
Dill
Nu mex

My initial germination of the first round of seedlings was done in peat pellets. They came with the tray so I figured I'd use them. NEVER AGAIN. Those things were a real pain in the ass to keep properly moistened. As soon as I could, I removed my sprouts from them and transferred into seed starting mix. Lost a few on the way but nothing to worry about. It's pretty likely I will be sharing some of these plants with some friends the way it is.

I kept my light on 24/7 for the first 2 weeks and then switched to an 18/6 cycle. Right now I am top watering and misting as needed. I was told that top watering helps get rid of all the bad buildups in the soil. Don't know if that's true or not, but whatever. I am trying to base my watering on tray weight. For nutrients I am using Pro Bloom, Liquid Karma, and a weekly compost tea brewed for 24 hours with an air stone in a bucket. All of my water also sits out for at least 24 hours before use to eliminate any chlorine.

Now, I really want to switch soil at this point but I am going to resist. For one, it costs more than I can swing right now.

My setup has evolved from one 2 bulb light fixture to a modified in ceiling fluorescent donated and wired by Justaguy. I drilled some holes, added u-bolts, and used carabiners and chains to hang the fixture from the bar in the closet. This way I can adjust as needed for light height. I can raise one side higher as well if necessary, which is also nice. I have some reflective film on the back wall and closet door to help recapture and reflect some of that escaping light. That's it. My setup.

Here are some pics. I will update with a million questions, and progress as I am able. My next post will probably be showing my outside grow area once the damn rain stops and I can snap some pictures. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Initial setup:

Upgrade:

Peppers 2/29/12 (just one tray but they are pretty similar):

Man. I have been looking EVERYWHERE for my damn camera charger. I used it at a photo shoot, brought it home and set it down. Then all kinds of construction commenced inside the house... At least losing it is forcing me to clean up.

Man. I have been looking EVERYWHERE for my damn camera charger. I used it at a photo shoot, brought it home and set it down. Then all kinds of construction commenced inside the house... At least losing it is forcing me to clean up.
That sux, at least you know its in the house. After checking twice in the same place you know not to check a third time......It's probably in a place that you haven't looked yet!Ha......I find myself looking inside the "bar" only to come out with a bottle of something...

All right my friends! Had a weekend of chili sampling, pepper fest, new friends, old friends and just general goodness. If you subtract my agro 3 year olds attitude (which my mom says I deserve), I would call it near perfect.

Actually had a new member over yesterday, Fishwife and her husband. Good people, good times. Introduced them to some new peppers which is always a joy and sent them home with some for later. We worked up the heat scale until the Brain Strain. The handled it really well. I served slices on crackers with a mandarin orange chipotle dip we grabbed at the Bower's Pepper Fest. The goal was not to kill but to get the FLAVOR and the heat. It worked out pretty well. I basically played bartender but the poison I was serving up were superhots.

Luckily Fishwife had a camera and I got to snap a couple of pictures of the garden. I am loading up in pods. I probably pull around 10 pounds a week right now. It's certainly keeping me busy. If I weren't so broke I would be sending out lots of pods. Trust me though, what you are really going to want is the goodies I end up making with the pods (I'm looking at you Romy, stc, PaulG, Meatfreak, gnslngr, Prodigal and all the folks that have stuck with me on this journey despite lack of updates).

My plants are 6 footers. They are happy. I haven't added anything for a couple months now.

2012-09-09 14.33.213

2012-09-09 14.34.563

It's been quite the season. I'm already thinking about next year and what to grow. I AM DEFINITELY growing more than one Brainstrain. They are my favorite jewels in the pepper forest. Anyway, that's my current status. Hopefully I'll find that damn battery and charger (can't afford a new one right now). We cleaned the house, I've went through closets, and feel like I've looked everywhere. But that stuff always seems to be in the last place you look so... Chili Cheers my brothers ad sisters!

Wow wow wubzy. :dance: Your plants are huge and super healthy. I am beyond inmpressed . You PA boys don't play around. :fireball:

Your kid sounds alot like my 4 year old baby girl. Just a while back she spit in her brothers taco cause he was not giving her the much needed attention she damanded . :rofl: Needless to say momma set her straight fast. She is too precious for me to discipline her :shh:

Keep your grow on and give us some harvest shots. Reguardless if they are with the phone or a old polaroid . I demand it!!!! ;)

Wow, it's a pepper forest there! I think the easiest way to find your battery and charger is to buy a new one. Once you do I can almost guarantee the old one will pop up within a week. That's how it seems to work for me anyway.

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said they were huge :lol: Looking good, bro! I :pray: for you that you find your charger, it's gotta be somewhere! Don't forget to leave some space in your garden for some of my varieties I will send you ;) I think you better expand it next season :hell:

Wowsa! That's a wonderland! I doubt I'll see that many pods this whole season! I can't believe everyone's harvests on here. Next year can't get here fast enough so we can fix our problems and be pulling down peppers like that Mr. Squatch. You got it going on bradda! With a lot of pepper comes a lot of responsibility...Hahahaha. That looks like its going to be a mound of work. Grab the shovel and carving board!

Hey friends. Just wanted to say that money is really tight right now. I am happy to ship flat rate boxes of pods out but you will have to pay for shipping. I have a Paypal set up. Now this just goes for people I know, not random crashers. I grew them but I can't afford the extra expense of shipping right now. Thanks for understanding and if you're interested I would be happy to send you some!

Oh, a box of bhuts to process from P3pperFreaks garden.

These crappy cell phone pics make me cringe but times are too tight to buy a new charger or battery for the Rebel. :(

Back