• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat Seven Pod is the "World's Hottest" and it was developed by Amerindians.

Now here is something I don't have enough information about, but the name Moruga is apparently a word from the Lokono/Arawak language (http://sta.uwi.edu/stan/article13.asp).

hl_am1.jpg

There are also apparently 10,000 people who still identify as Lokono (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokono).

My guess would be we owe the Seven Pod hot pepper to these people and their ancestors.  It would be fascinating to see some good anthropological and historical work done to gain more insight.

Yes, this stuff is all quite confusing and would take a fair amount of time/writing to lay out.  There is in fact a regular Moruga Red and Moruga Yellow, which seem to be a habanero line (large pods / nice flavor).  These were sent at the same time the 7 Pot and Scorpions were. I have every original seed packet ever sent so no doubt on any of the lineage in my eyes! Then there is the 'original' Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend Red, which ironically came from an old friend of mine in TOBAGO.  I will not say anyone ever claimed it to be a hybrid between a Scorpion and 7 Pot because they didn't.  That was taken as gospel over the years, but not confirmed by the grower. It certainly is a possibility though given the attributes.  I am 99.9% sure this variety was obtained from CARDI test fields (in other words, I got damn lucky to get it). :)  I know I had real CARDI material because my friend knew very well what the real Trinidad Scorpion was and my stuff matches CARDI's photo selections.  I kept the TSMB label as that is exactly how this variety came to me from Tobago.  I was told this was a crazy hot, super bumpy scary looking pepper. 

The 7 Pot Jonah and Trinidad Scorpion Butch T are different animals, yet pretty stable ones.  If I had to make a statement, I'd say the TSMB Red and Sara's original 7 Pot Red from Trinidad are very close, but the latter will spin off more pod shapes than the TSMB.  Texture and heat are extremely similar and many times if a group of pods were laid across a table, many would struggle to find the differences. 

I could go on and on....does Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend YELLOW truly exist?  lol.........  Well, a 7 Pot Yellow was sent in '08.  Douglah sent in '08.  I think the TSMB yellow was simply a selection of the 7 Pot Yellow and named differently.  This selection process occurs often though so it doesn't necessarily mean it was done to deceive anyone.  CARDI may grow a lot of stuff and work on stabilizing landraces, but I doubt they are in tune with every hybrid like some 'addicts' of super hots are.  :)

Obviously, many variations exist such as the 7 Pot Long LG I grew and sent around years back.  I always found that one fascinating as it seemed to have some Naga traits, but not a true Naga. 

With all the new crosses being put out at an astounding rate, it may be easy to forget what the originals ever were. :(  

Chris

cmpman1974 said:
With all the new crosses being put out at an astounding rate, it may be easy to forget what the originals ever were. :(  

Thanks Chris.  That's why I wanted to create this post :)

I think Guinness World Records should stop giving out "world's hottest" stamps of approval when these peppers they keep rubber stamping are so clearly mostly or in part (the hot part) derived from the Seven Pod landrace.  It's wrong to assert that an individual has "created" the world's hottest pepper when it was generations of Amerindians who did the heavy lifting and got it to the 2,000,000+ Scoville level.

Instead, they should say the Seven Pod landrace is the world's hottest and state that it was created over many generations by Amerindian people.  And as a way of correcting their previous recipients mention that it has spawned a micro-industry of business people and hobbyists crossing, isolating, etc.. But the raw material, so to speak, of any new "world's hottest" is clear.  It should be recognized as such.

Pr0digal_son said:
I found seeds for the original CARDI scorpion pictured above. More excited to grow it than any variety out there.

Did you get them directly from CARDI?
I found on their site the chance to purchase seeds but it doesn't show how much they cost and other details

Thanks SpiceGeist good info concerning the Morouga/Moruga naming confusion.  All this info is in past threads on THP from several years ago and don't feel like rehashing it again.  I have no doubt what was the Brain Strain 7 Pod is the real descendant to CARDI Seven Pod both by the source direct from Sara/Trinihottie and by the pictures on the CARDI website. 

Guitarman said:

Did you get them directly from CARDI?
I found on their site the chance to purchase seeds but it doesn't show how much they cost and other details

They are from a good friend,not CARDI. From the pictures he showed me,they look like the ones in this thread,just a tiny point. Not the variation on a theme

Who is going to order a bag of each from CARDI?

I´m curious to grow these "new" varieties.

Why have the seeds been treated with TSP ?
Virus infection?

I may have made some noobish comments on this thread, but just trying to understand some things... How is this CARDI Scorpion different from the TS CARDI Yellow & Red I'm growing & sure many many others are growing... I sure think it's different based on pictures but... insight?

coachspencerxc said:
I may have made some noobish comments on this thread, but just trying to understand some things... How is this CARDI Scorpion different from the TS CARDI Yellow & Red I'm growing & sure many many others are growing... I sure think it's different based on pictures but... insight?

TS Cardi Yellow is a much milder pepper, not a superhot.  Do a search on here, you'll find a lot of info., I remember there was a good community grow entry a while back...

*edit: here's that community grow:  The Official Yellow Scorpion CARDI Grow Thread.  With some good ripe fruit pics here: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/14532-the-official-yellow-scorpion-cardi-grow-thread/?p=375889

semillas said:
Who is going to order a bag of each from CARDI?

I´m curious to grow these "new" varieties.

Why have the seeds been treated with TSP ?
Virus infection?

Yeah, I'm guessing treating the seeds is standard practice for commercial growers... I know some people on here do a little part-chlorine solution seed soak just in case...

Right. I just don't understand the difference between this offering from CARDI called Trinidad Scorpion & what people have been calling a Trinidad Scorpion CARDI for years.
Maybe I should just be quiet. I don't seem to be on the same page with this thread.

coachspencerxc said:
Right. I just don't understand the difference between this offering from CARDI called Trinidad Scorpion & what people have been calling a Trinidad Scorpion CARDI for years.
Maybe I should just be quiet. I don't seem to be on the same page with this thread.

The Scorpion is a superhot and is relevant in this thread, the Yellow Scorpion in the above thread is a different pepper, is not a superhot and is not relevant here.  Does that make sense?  CARDI has all kinds of varieties.

coachspencerxc said:
I was also given the CARDI TS Red... whi ch the same as the one pictured here & not as... "scorpiony" as the CARDI yellow?

I don't know what you were given... getting a little off track aren't we?

Back