• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shading chinense

My dozen or so habaneros and bonnets are planted at the front of my garden. They're the first to get sun. Their uppermost leaves were getting sun burnt, and they seemed to not be setting fruit. So I made some 3 ft. tall makeshift shade devices out of shirts and random poles. In about 2 weeks time the plants have become much greener, with lots of new growth, with no burns, and all have set fruit, some even over a dozen peppers so far. Is this normal? This is my first year growing chinense chiles, and I was under the impression that they wanted full sun. I wanted to ask, to see if I should plant chinense varieties in a shadier part of my garden next year?

Depends on how intense the sun is in your area but yes, some plants do require a certain ammount of shade. My plants only get sun from 11am till sundown and they seem to love it.

I always found that 6 hours of sun is the perfect amount. I have chineses that are doing great with as little as 2 - 3 hours (probably because the heat and sun this summer has been really great, and consistent). Since we've had so much sun this season and it's been very dry (especially here), full sun conditions would fry them and inhibit their growth. It's definitely normal to see the plants loving some shade.

I grow all of mine underneath shade canopy's down here. No other way to keep them from crisping up to nothingness with our heat and Dryness.
Some of my Yellow 7's, my Bhut's, and my Aji lemons all get 3-4 hours of morning sun, and then shade the rest of the day. They look no different health wise than the rest of the Y7's, Habs and others that are full shade all day long.

I've found shading is very helpful. Here in Thailand the sun is brutal so I limit exposure to mornings and shade by about 13:00/13:30 and it seems to help. The way I've placed my plants, they'll get sun all day during our winter and afternoon shade in summer.
I lived in Boise through all four seasons, so I know what you're dealing with.

In my climate I give my chiles as much light as possible. I actually move some plants every day to chase the sun and these are some of my best plants. I figure as long as the heat isn't stressing the plant then the more sun the better

I've found shading is very helpful. Here in Thailand the sun is brutal so I limit exposure to mornings and shade by about 13:00/13:30 and it seems to help. The way I've placed my plants, they'll get sun all day during our winter and afternoon shade in summer.
I lived in Boise through all four seasons, so I know what you're dealing with.

I moved from northern california a couple years back, and I'm still not used to the intensity of the sun light here in Boise.

I moved from northern california a couple years back, and I'm still not used to the intensity of the sun light here in Boise.

I find the sun to be pretty brutal in Northern California (Central Valley) and get the best results with shade. It seems that the plants adjust leaf size to accommodate the amount of sun. I don't think they like the lack of humidity but don't know what to do about that.

My plants get full south carolina sun until 1230 - 1pm. They seem to be doing great. . I have a raised bed that gets sun from like 1030-11am to sundown. Plants are doing pretty good as most of them were my stunted by aphid plants.

My plants that have been in full sun are far inferior to those that get no direct sun. We do get really nasty hot dry spells here in East TN so that might have something to do with it. I have found that any sun from 11-4 just cooks the plants and they never really get a chance to grow. But if they get early morning sun and late setting sun then they are the best growing plant I have.

I find the sun to be pretty brutal in Northern California (Central Valley) and get the best results with shade. It seems that the plants adjust leaf size to accommodate the amount of sun. I don't think they like the lack of humidity but don't know what to do about that.

Ya, it was brutal in California, but it's even more intense here. Not as hot, but with the higher elevation than California, everything gets burnt. Seems like all of my plants could use a little shade, but the chinense chiles were getting hit the hardest.

Ya, it was brutal in California, but it's even more intense here. Not as hot, but with the higher elevation than California, everything gets burnt. Seems like all of my plants could use a little shade, but the chinense chiles were getting hit the hardest.

Yes, here too; so, get some shade cloth and then put your plants in the sunniest spot you've got. Happy trails.

I agree shade with the tx heat is great!! I am planting all my plants in the soil in the shade. everyone that I have taken out of the sun and transplanted in the shade are doing great!

Back