• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shadow's Glog for 2013

This is my second year growing hot peppers, and my first for growing super hots. This year is going to be a massive step up from my previous year. Pot size is going from 3 gallon to 5, varieties are going from 11 to 31 and counting, and plant count is going from 30 to about 300. I might end up giving some of them away; I don’t know what my yard can support. All of last year’s plants were grown on the deck, but this year they are moving out onto the lawn.

I want to thank this great community for its wealth of knowledge and generosity that has helped me get to where I am.

This year’s tentative grow list:

Chinense
White Bullet Habanero
Tangerine Habanero
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Douglah
Scorpion CARDI
Scorpion Moruga
Bhut Jolokia White
Bhut Jolokia Red
Quintisho
Naga Morich

Annuum
Hawaiian
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Amish Bush
Tepin
Pequin
Early Jalapeno
Chocolate Cherry
Red Hot Cherry
Long Cayenne
Sofia Sweet
Santaka
Shishito

Chacoense
CAP 499

Frutescens
Purira

Baccatum
Aji Crystal
Aji Limon

Pubescens
Turbo Pube
Manzano Orange
Rocoto Yellow

Onto the pictures:

This is last Sunday the 6th
photo1_zpsfbe07848.jpg

Making a mess out of the dinning room.

photo2_zps21f59e1d.jpg

One of 4 ready to go.

photo3_zps9c3509f0.jpg

I'm lacking heat mats, but the lights seem to keep them warm enough.

Took the lids off today to see if anything had popped up yet.
photo4_zps8ab479cf.jpg

photo5_zps329d74b4.jpg

Looks like I've got a few babies ready to start the season!

Wow that sucks, how did they get in? Did you have OW's that were infested and they jumped to the seedlings? :/ ... that said, keep da faith mon and don't give up the war, mash up dem bugs!

Fulled blown aphid (green or white) attack on the small seedlings? Have you located any egg groupings, I'd be interested in seeing a photo if possible.

Greg

Wow that sucks, how did they get in? Did you have OW's that were infested and they jumped to the seedlings? :/ ... that said, keep da faith mon and don't give up the war, mash up dem bugs!

I recently brought a mango tree that I am overwintering over to those lights, I'm willing to bet that they came from that.

Pic1, they are green, I didn't take any pictures, but some had 5+ aphids on them. I'll check them again when I get home, and if I see I'll snap a pic.

luckily, on seedlings, there won't be a lot of places for them to hide. if you're patient and careful in removing them and then get them away from that cursed mango tree you should be fine...

Germ rates look good across the board, my friend.
Good luck with the aphids.

Fulled blown aphid (green or white) attack on the small seedlings? Have you located any egg groupings, I'd be interested in seeing a photo if possible.

Greg

Here is a picture I just took. Keep in mind I killed them all last night, or so i thought.
Aphid_zpsad5f390f.jpg

luckily, on seedlings, there won't be a lot of places for them to hide. if you're patient and careful in removing them and then get them away from that cursed mango tree you should be fine...

Yeah, I moved the mango tree back to the sliding glass door. This is a fight I was looking to avoid.

Germ rates look good across the board, my friend.
Good luck with the aphids.

Thank you, I added it up last night, and it is about 65%. The only one I'm concerned is the CAP 499, I don't know how long they take to come up.

Hey Shadow,

It sounds like this pod addiction bit you too since last year just like it did for me. I am not planning to grow 300 pepper plants but I did get 145 seeds started last week in the hopes to get 5-6 plants of each pepper type to go outside. I will be interested to see on your end what kinda germination rate and progress you get with your Capsicum Chacoense. I planted 8 seeds last Sunday Jan 27th and it is one of the only pepper types that shows no seeds germinated as of tonight. This is my first year starting from seeds and first for the Cap Chaco too. I will have to check on your progress. I hope this year is a good one filled with fiery pepper pods!!

Mike

Nice setup! I've got mine in thedining room too! Ahh apartment living at its finest :) Good luck with the babies.

I'm lucky e ought to own my house, but the dinning room is the only place my wife would let me put it. I've already staked a claim to it anyway, it's where I refurbish most of my computers until my workshop area is finished.

Hey Shadow,

It sounds like this pod addiction bit you too since last year just like it did for me. I am not planning to grow 300 pepper plants but I did get 145 seeds started last week in the hopes to get 5-6 plants of each pepper type to go outside. I will be interested to see on your end what kinda germination rate and progress you get with your Capsicum Chacoense. I planted 8 seeds last Sunday Jan 27th and it is one of the only pepper types that shows no seeds germinated as of tonight. This is my first year starting from seeds and first for the Cap Chaco too. I will have to check on your progress. I hope this year is a good one filled with fiery pepper pods!!

Mike

Yeah, I have a serious addiction! So far total germ rate are just under 70%. The cap 499 tho isn't coming up like I had hoped. Only 1 of 12 on those. Good luck with yours :-)

Yep those look like the "spinach" aphids. Its a good thing that you caught them in time. They can be nasty little buggers.

The seedlings have nice color and look healthy. You may want to scrape the top of the medium and loosen it up. Theres a bit of mold growing and it seems to be slightly compacted. The tip from a plant tag or a tooth pick will help fluff the soil and let the air down to the roots. It does make a difference.

Back