• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shipping hot pepper pods

is there anything special you have to do if i am shipping frozen trinidad pods cut up and deseeded. will they do ok in the mail or is there a special way i have to ship them?

i would imagine frozen pods will be a mess by the time they arrive anywhere if not kept frozen in transit some way... good luck with that one.

Plan on spending 3-4 times the actualy price of the pods on shipping. You will need a special insulated shipping container, and many pounds of dry ice. Also, next day air shipping through UPS or FedEx. The USPS doesn't promise overnight delivery anymore.

So should i thaw them out before i send them, an then theyll be ok?

Probably not, as soon as frozen pods thaw they get mushy.

If you intend on shipping pods I suggest you ship them the same day you pick them or next day at the most. You can refrigerate for a day but I prefer shipping straight off the vine :drooling:

Also... Pick them a little on the green side. They release a gas that accelerates the ripening/spoiling process. I also poke small holes in the box.

Well I did when I was still near my garden lol

Yeah, either pick ripe and ship the same day or pick and ship unripe to ensure they get there in good condition or dry em and ship em dry. Another option you can do now that they are frozen is puree in to a paste and put in a container and ship. When I get pods through the mail I slice em up, sprinkle em with a little salt and put em to dry or make some hot sauce with the ripe pods so none are at waste.

Or dry them out,cause there no good way to shipped sliced up pods unless they've been dried first,just going to be a mess!

I agree.. If you have to ship them after hey've been frozen, thaw and dehydrate them and then ship them... Otherwise you are gonna send a box of mush and it'l be disgusting

Back