• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shlogg's Glog 2013... Long overdue update.

Hey THP. Well 2013 is upon us, time to start growing!

I picked 27 varieties to take up the bulk of my garden space. Mostly supers but also a couple cool varieties that aren't so hot. Anyway, I soaked my seeds in a weak herbal tea blend for 24 hours, rinsed them and they are now resting comfortably in my germination tank. I'm trying cotton make-up removal pads to keep them moist instead of paper towels. They seem to work great!

My tank consists of a plastic storage bin filled with water and a fish tank heater. The heater can take a little playing with to get the temps just right but once I find the sweet spot its perfectly constant. I then float my seeds in condiment cups on the warm water. It's really works.

I did have a few hiccups in the process though. I was a bit hasty and put my seeds in the germ tank before getting the temp just right. It reached 86 degrees for a couple hours before I caught it but they should be fine. I've got them at 82 degrees now which I think is perfect. Now I'm just excitedly waiting for tap roots so I can get them all into my seedlings trays.

Here what I have going:
20 TS Moruga Blend
20 7 Pot Brainstrain
20 TS Butch T
20 Bhut Jolokia
10 TS Moruga Blend Yellow
10 7 Pot Brainstrain Yellow
10 7 Pot Primo
10 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
10 Bhut Jolokia Peach
10 TS Chocolate
10 Douglah
10 Bhut Jolokia Yellow
8 7 Pot Jonah
8 7 Pot Congo SR
8 Billy Boy Douglah Red
4 7 Pot Burgundy
4 TS Orange
4 Devil's Tongue
4 7 Pot Chaguanas
4 Bahamian Goat
4 7 Pot Barrackpore
4 7 Pot Savannah
4 Douglah Yellow
4 Billy Boy Douglah
4 Douglah X Butch T
4 Naga Jolokia
4 Jalabanero

I believe that's it for now. I'll be adding more varieties when I have room in the grow box.

Here's a low quality shot of the boys in their bath:
IMAG0449.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Just hooked up my new germ system based on yours. $20 for the heater, $5 or $6 for the cups and cotton things. Food grade bucket free. We'll see how she goes.

The setup is ingenious. It's so amazing how sharing tried techniques is so freely distributed. Thanks Scholgg. Maybe next batch I will start this way as my germ rates on a lot of my seeds sux booty

I might give your germ method ago in the next few days. Have some more super hot's on the way so thinking about trying your method out, will let you know how we get out.

Great germ rates so far though dude, hope they all sprout to be monsters.

Well I'm now 2 weeks into my grow. I'm pretty satisfied with things so far. I have most of 144 cells sowed though I'm still waiting for a few varieties to sprout. I've had a few Fungus Gnats here and there but so far they seem to be under control.

I started 3 more varieties 2 nights ago. 7 Pot Yellow, Trinidad Scorpian Yellow and 7 Pot Sunrise. that brings me to 20 varieties so far. Tonight I'm soaking some Birgits Locoto for the Tallest Chile Plant competition and I plan on starting around 90 more varieties in the next few days.

On a side note, I checked out my local Hydroponics shop yesterday. It was pretty cool. I picked up a 3 liter Air Pot, some Cal Mag, Myco granules and a few other things. Can't wait to put them to good use!

Here's a few shots of the gang. Real camera this time too! :clap:

Tray 1 soaking up some rays. That a Brainstrain just right of center.

Seedlings2013.jpg

Trinidad Scorpian Moruga Blend

7PotBrainstrain2013.jpg

Bhut Jolokia with a bit of a suntan.

BhutJolokia2013.jpg

Here's the oldest "Long Legs" a Bhut Jolokia.

BhutJolokia20136.jpg

Trindad Scorpian Moruga Yellow

TrinidadScorpianMorugaYellow20133.jpg

Three cots on this Bhut Jolokia Peach.

BhutJolokiaPeach2013.jpg

Four on this one. Another BJ Peach.

BhutJolokiaPeach20132.jpg

7 Pot Jonah

7PotJonah.jpg

This guy looks like he's sticking out his tongue. Fittingly its a Devil's Tongue. :P

DevilsTongue2013.jpg

That'll do for now. Thanks for tuning in!

I would say nice Shlog, but that sounds bad so I will stick with....wonderful Glog. :D Enjoy the fun of germination.

My friends call me Shlogg so that sounds fine but if you say, "Nice Schlong" I'll say, "Do I know you?" :lol:

Thanks man!
Great little update!! Keep that kid in the garden as long as you can!

Thanks brother! I try to involve him as much as possible. So far he shows a lot of interest in most anything I do.

i like your floating bath setup, where do you get the cups from?

Thanks my friend. In the states you can get them at a party store or big box store. I don't know about OZ. Maybe a fast food place will sell you some.

Just hooked up my new germ system based on yours. $20 for the heater, $5 or $6 for the cups and cotton things. Food grade bucket free. We'll see how she goes.

Awesome! Keep me posted. I'd love to know how well it works for you. Good luck!

The setup is ingenious. It's so amazing how sharing tried techniques is so freely distributed. Thanks Scholgg. Maybe next batch I will start this way as my germ rates on a lot of my seeds sux booty

Thanks. I'm not the first to use it. I pick up stuff from other growers all the time. Some people germinate in their fish tank. I do think it almost maximizes your germ rates. Its all about temp and humidity. Good luck with your plants!

I might give your germ method ago in the next few days. Have some more super hot's on the way so thinking about trying your method out, will let you know how we get out.

Great germ rates so far though dude, hope they all sprout to be monsters.

Hope you like it. I'm happy with my germination rates though I didn't record them. I start 25% more seeds than I plan on using. Thanks!

Wow, tough crowd we have here. Maybe this will tickle someone's fancy, I think its awesome! One of my BJ Peaches has 4 cotyledons. It may actually be 2 sets of cotyledons. Conjoined twin Maybe? Today I noticed its also sprouting two sets of true leaves. If you look at the stem it almost looks like two stems fused together. Check it out:

057.jpg

My favorite plant so far. This guy could turn out to be a beast!

Those four ones are awesome. Its basically two plants on one stem. Had a Trini perfume a few years ago like that. One of the best plants I've evergrown.

Thanks brother! I try to involve him as much as possible. So far he shows a lot of interest in most anything I do.

Believe me...goes fast. My youngest will be 12 in a month and video games are quickly replacing time with dad. Still got him hanging on by a thread in the garden, even buy him his own stuff to grow...but hes only in it until they come up...and then maybe the first harvest or two. Hope a little sticks with him and he gets into it when he's older.

Wow, tough crowd we have here.
Sorry bruddah! I know I hate posting and no one hits it...I got so much crap I am following now that if I don't get on for 6-8 hours stuff starts moving to page 2. I try to keep up but its rough!!! Don't feel neglected! You're good enough, smart enough...and gosh darn it, people like you!

057.jpg

My favorite plant so far. This guy could turn out to be a beast!
Coolest I have seen thus far this season! Great pic too! I've had tripple coties, fuzed coty's as your plant above, double leaves, double pods, fused branches...and even a triple pod once...but never twins out of the gate! Super cool! Can't wait to see this one grow up! Splitting at first set of true...going to be a freakish looking cool plant brother congrats! Give it a ton of room for roots...think it's gonna be filling up some starter pots pretty quick! Keep this guy in the spotlight for us!

I ditto what Shane said. I am on page two right now. Ahahaaaa. It's all good. Most can't do daily updates and you would have to do daily to stay on top of page one. We still are very much enjoying your grow. I speak for the collective of course because I am the pepper ambassador. Ahahahahaaaa. J/K.

Those four ones are awesome. Its basically two plants on one stem. Had a Trini perfume a few years ago like that. One of the best plants I've evergrown.

I had 2 separate plants from one seed last year. One tiny and the other normal size. This is the first one I've had like this though. I hope both sides grow at a similar rate and one doesn't take over. We'll see.

Believe me...goes fast. My youngest will be 12 in a month and video games are quickly replacing time with dad. Still got him hanging on by a thread in the garden, even buy him his own stuff to grow...but hes only in it until they come up...and then maybe the first harvest or two. Hope a little sticks with him and he gets into it when he's older.

Rebellious teens. As long as he's not half as bad as I was as a teen I'll be happy. Plus I love video games! Lol

Sorry bruddah! I know I hate posting and no one hits it...I got so much crap I am following now that if I don't get on for 6-8 hours stuff starts moving to page 2. I try to keep up but its rough!!! Don't feel neglected! You're good enough, smart enough...and gosh darn it, people like you!

I'm as guilty as anyone for not keeping up on everyone's post. I try to spread the love as much as I can though. Glad there are a few out there that actually do follow most glogs.

Note to self:
Look in the mirror and say, "I'm good enough. I'm smart enough and dog gone it people like me." before posting. Haaaaa.

Coolest I have seen thus far this season! Great pic too! I've had tripple coties, fuzed coty's as your plant above, double leaves, double pods, fused branches...and even a triple pod once...but never twins out of the gate! Super cool! Can't wait to see this one grow up! Splitting at first set of true...going to be a freakish looking cool plant brother congrats! Give it a ton of room for roots...think it's gonna be filling up some starter pots pretty quick! Keep this guy in the spotlight for us!

I suspect it will look normal eventually but who knows. It should, at the very least, have a badass looking trunk. I'll keep ya posted.

I ditto what Shane said. I am on page two right now. Ahahaaaa. It's all good. Most can't do daily updates and you would have to do daily to stay on top of page one. We still are very much enjoying your grow. I speak for the collective of course because I am the pepper ambassador. Ahahahahaaaa. J/K.

Thank you. Tough to balance life, life with peppers and life talking about peppers, but it sure is fun. Glad you could pop in Ms. Ambassador.

If your conjoined twin survives save seeds, I have one growing this season and well, quadruplets for next season!

Oh I definitely will. What variety is yours? Maybe we should get these two together.

I've have a few pics to post but for the past few days I can't see any IMG links for Photobucket. I've only been on here lately with my phone and I'm sure its limited to my phone. Any Photobucket IMG links show up as a help icon. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? I tried turning off the pop up blocked and checked to see if show images was on. It's happening on my Google browser and Dolphin browser for Android. Hope I can find a fix.

I've have a few pics to post but for the past few days I can't see any IMG links for Photobucket. I've only been on here lately with my phone and I'm sure its limited to my phone. Any Photobucket IMG links show up as a help icon. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? I tried turning off the pop up blocked and checked to see if show images was on. It's happening on my Google browser and Dolphin browser for Android. Hope I can find a fix.
I'm experiencing the same on my android. I just see a help icon.

Imgur links are ok, photobucket not.

My Imgur link display for you bro?
(not trying to hijack, but as we are having the same problem and my links display fine for me, thought I'd quote myself and see if you can see it)

This 7 pot Burgundy takes the prize. Very fast!
uytHTDP.jpg

Looks like Android updated their OS without working out all the bugs for older phones. I'm now using "Opera" as my browser and I can see pics fine. Thanks georgej for trying to help!

Its been a busy week for me with my plants. I doubled my grow space and upgraded my lighting system. I'm now running 6 26 watt daylight CFLs with 1600 lumens each. I have 2 shelves with this setup and 2 with 2 13 watt T5s. I only had room for 2 1020 trays before so I definitely needed to expand.

Here's my new rig.
Shelf 1

083.jpg

Shelf 2

085.jpg

Its very bright. I feel like I'm going blind after every time I look in there. The plants seem to like it too. I noticed a good amount of new growth these last couple days.
I'll need to pot up very soon.

Here's a few new additions.

084.jpg

I'm 4 for 4 on Birgit's Locoto for the Tallest Plant Growdown. I let them get a bit leggy with hopes that it will give them an edge on the competition down the road.

This is a couple TS Morugas with Brainstrains in the background.

086.jpg

A TS Moruga looking all purdy.

087.jpg

Typically sunburned Bhut.

088.jpg

I take a few more pics tonight of the others. I plan on giving them their first foliar feed of Cal Mag and I need to get my Annuums sowed tonight as well. I'll have a total of 101 varieties, (I think), and 220 plants if all goes as planned. My only concern is space which I will run out of quickly. My 4 shelves should be completely packed with foliage very soon. I guess I'll have to find more space eventually.

I'll post more pics once my son goes to sleep. In the mean time, this is my updated grow list. It's in no particular order other than it's the order they are planted.

TS Moruga Blend
7 Pot Brainstrain
TS Butch T
Bhut Jolokia
TS Moruga Blend Yellow
7 Pot Brainstrain Yellow
7 Pot Primo
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Peach
TS Chocolate
Douglah
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot Congo SR
Billy Boy Douglah Red
7 Pot Burgundy
TS Orange
Devil's Tongue
7 Pot Chaguanas
Bahamian Goat
7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Savannah
Douglah Yellow
Billy Boy Douglah
Douglah X Butch T
Naga Jolokia
Jalabanero
Paper Lantern
Habanero Big Sun
Congo Black
Harold's St. Barts
Habanero White (No idea which type. Hopefully not bullet.)
Habanero Peach
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Scotch Bonnet Red
Tobago Treasure
Trinidad SB Yellow
Scotch Bonnet Brown
Jamaican Yellow
BJ x Douglah
BJ x Thai Dragon
BJ x TS
BJ Indian Carbon
BJ White
BJ Purple
Infinity (Gnarly, Very hot)
TS Cardi
Naga Morich
Fatalii Chocolate
Fatalii
Nagabon
Beni Highland
Sepia Serpent
Datil
PI 441598
Peruvian White Habanero
Pimenta de Neyde
Blue Mystery
Most Prolific
Manzano Orange
Manzano Yellow
Rocoto (From market in Lima, Peru)
Rocoto (From market in Cajamarca, Peru)
Unknown Bangladesh 1 (From a friends garden in Bangladesh)
Unknown Bangladesh 2 (Same garden different variety)
Tepin Wild Mexican
PI 260478
Tabasco (Louisiana Variety)
Bradley's Bahamian
Maui Purple
Peru Purple
Thai Black
Thai Red Hot Ornamental
Thai Dragon
Goat's Weed
Birgit's Locoto

I still have to sow my annuums. I have about 20 varieties of those I want to grow this year. That will make a total of 103 varieties. I actually had to leave out a couple that I like do to lack of room. Tough decisions. I love this time of year!

Back