• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shoontok 2011 Pepper Grow

Looking nice Jim, I thought I was looking at my pics for a second there!
I have blue tape and tinfoil everywhere too! :lol:
Kevin

Took a few more pictures of the madness that is my 2011 pepper grow.
Some potted up plants under my living room light setup
100_0614.jpg

Some of the bigger plants under my aquarium light setup.
100_0613.jpg

36 more plants
100_0611.jpg

My kitchen table turned into a soil mixing/potting up station.
100_0610.jpg

Some more stuff that needs potting up as well as newly germinating/sprouting trays.
100_0612.jpg

A metal basket i found that i use to put over my kitchen sink when i water the plants, works good to let em drain out over the sink.
100_0609.jpg

Yep this hobby is starting to keep me busy!

Happy Growing
Jim

Your plants are really starting to take off man!
I have seen some people ,put their draining cups in side another cup with mebbe a marble or sumthin to keep some space.
Nice work Jim!!

Kevin

Looks like you're getting of to a great start this season Shoontok!

And hopefully you'll be reaping the bounty of everything you've sown once the weather starts to cooperate with us on our side of the equator. ;)

dvg

Howdy All
Just thought i'd drop in a post an update on my pepper grow. I got about 100+ seedlings in various states of growth. I got alot of em potted up in 18 oz. cups under flourescent lighting just waiting for the good old plantout time.

I havent done any prep work at my own residence just yet, but i hung out at my moms house this weekend with my brother and we started to prep out an old garden area that was resting for a couple years.

My bro starting tilling by hand last week. And i joined in yesterday to start building raised beds with fieldstone.
100_0616.jpg

The Stone Hauler ;)
100_0619.jpg

Here is another garden on the same property we didnt start yet.
100_0618.jpg

Put in a few more hours today on that first garden. Ouch. My back hurts, but lovin it.
100_0623.jpg

A close up pic. We are doing a two foot bed around the perimeter, with three foot beds in the middle with 2 foot pathways all around and in between the beds.
100_0625.jpg

Its hard work, but im lovin it.

Happy Growing!
Jim

Man,That looks awesome Jim! Those rows are gonna be super easy to access the pepper pods!
and man ,,tilling by hand is some back breaking work!!Great job!

So have all your varieties sprouted?

Kevin

Man,That looks awesome Jim! Those rows are gonna be super easy to access the pepper pods!
and man ,,tilling by hand is some back breaking work!!Great job!

So have all your varieties sprouted?

Kevin

I got 19/20 of the varieties sprouted so far ;)

Only one that didnt sprout yet is Chocolate Bhuts, but i sowed the last 21 seeds today :) and i ate a couple pieces of the the dried pod that the seeds came with this morning, ummmmmmm ummmmmmmm, i dont recomend eating dried bhut for breakfast!

Jim

+1. Looks great Jim. It looks like you have plenty of garden space. What are your plans for the paths? Some wood chips would be cool.

Thx guys, glad ya like it. Yep its gonna be a nice garden for sure. Placing them rocks is kind of labor intensive and does take quite a bit of time as opposed to constructing lumber beds, but the stones are free and there is thousands of them at that property. And them stones will be there alot longer then any lumber.

Me and my bro discussed the wood chip option for the paths and also as mulch/weed control in the beds and we got a buddy in the landscaping business that does tree work too and we are gonna try to get a truckload of wood chips if he does a job in the area and needs a convenient place to dump em.

We are gonna plant climbing stuff like pole beans and cukes around the fence line, but i definetly want to dedicate some bed space for my hot peppers. I already have way to many pepper plants started this year that i can plant at my own residence so its gonna be great to have a place to plant the rest of em.

Might go over there again this weekend and do some more prepping. I'll take pics on the progress.

Happy Growing
Jim

I always wondered what kind of gig Wilson would get after "Castaway." Bonus points for the Bud!

Seriously, excellent work. I like the curving rows and the path spacing you have in mind. You can fill that puppy and make good use of the fence for the beans and cukes. Hope to see continuing photos of this.... :cool:

Me and my bro put in a few more hours this weekend and made some good progress.

100_0648.jpg

100_0647-1.jpg

100_0644.jpg

A pic of a Thai Chile plant and a Cayenne i had to pot up from 18 oz. cups as they were getting way to big!
100_0649.jpg

I gots lots of pepper seedlings ( well over 100 and more on the way ) im glad i will be able to plant em all :)

Happy growing
Jim

Very nice Jim,
I was wondering about using adhesive and grout instead of perlite!
Looks like it is working out great! :rofl:

That is gonna turn out to be an excellent garden area!
Looking really nice too!
Is your back sore yet? :beer:

Very nice work man!

Kevin

Very nice Jim,
I was wondering about using adhesive and grout instead of perlite!
Looks like it is working out great! :rofl:

That is gonna turn out to be an excellent garden area!
Looking really nice too!
Is your back sore yet? :beer:

Very nice work man!

Kevin

LOL, yep that one gallon bucket makes a good pot. Drilled plenty of holes in the bottom for drainage.

And yes my back is hurting! two weekends in a row of tilling, trenching, laying stones and filling. Im not sure the exact linear feet of stone that was set, but im guessing it may be near 500 feet in total. Its not complete 100 percent, but still have some time as plantout for peppers and such is suggested around May 10th or so. I just hope i can keep thes plants sustained under flourescent lighting and starting to worry that my plants will start outgrowing the 18oz. cups i got em in. Maybe i might have to start topping em off/ pruning.

Had a small disaster last night. You may have seen that i sometimes use the top of my fishtank light for germination purposes. Well, last night i was unplugging my aquarium heater since the internal thermostat in it is malfunctioning so i have to unplug it from time to time to keep the temp within the 75 to 82 degree range for the fish in there. Well i was pulling that cord out of the threeway it was plugged in and put to much tension on it and managed to tip the light over too and lost two 4 packs of germinating chocolate bhuts down the backside of the aquarium and onto the ground, lol. I scooped up the dirt and hopefully any seeds that still may be viable and put it in a shallow gladware tray to try to get em to pop up. Luckily the two other choco bhut 4 cell packs got wedged between the wall and tank and didnt plummit like the other two unlucky ones. And to my pleasant surprise, i came home today to find two choco bhut hooks popping up in one of the lucky cell trays!!! The first two of the season of this variety! And they been in the germinating tray for at least a month i believe. I guess they just need to be slapped around a bit to get em motivated, lol.

Jim

Lol, yup a lil tough love is all they needed! :cool:
That garden is gonna look soo cool when its finished!
Looks like you took the pic from above, Do you have a helicopter! :lol:

Kevin

Lol, yup a lil tough love is all they needed! :cool:
That garden is gonna look soo cool when its finished!
Looks like you took the pic from above, Do you have a helicopter! :lol:

Kevin

Nah bro, no copter. I just think im 25 still and climbed up on that old diesel work fan for a better pic. I might be 36 but i definetly still think im physically as strong and resilent as 25. Strong maybe but the aches and pains after the fact tell me my resilence may be otherwise, lol. And im climbing up and down 24 foot high concrete form walls at work with climbing gear most every day. Building heavy highway bridges, i must be outta my mind, but i love it! Yep, them peppers needed a boot in the ass to motivate em for sure!

Sorry ya'll i didnt finish prepping that garden this weekend, weather was cold and nasty and my muscles beat up.

But i took a pic of some of my plants i grew up from seed and will find a home there in about a month or so. Here is most of plants, a mixed batch of many varieties at different sizes.
100_0659.jpg

I sprawled em out on my floor to try to re-organize em and put em in "size class" under the different lights i have at various heights and also check their weight to see on watering.

Happy growing
Jim

Back