• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

hobbies Shorerider's Workshop.

A while back I bought this jewelers vice at a swap meet, along with some other bits which included jewelers vice I restored previously. 
Bwrf1mN.jpg

This one had a chip taken out of it that needed to be repaired. 
3tbKe7F.jpg

So, I busted out the welder, and after a bit of welding and grinding, I was reasonably happy (who am I kidding, I'm never happy.... :rofl: ) with the outcome. 
n8hNnZy.jpg

Then, I stripped it down and cleaned up all the rust.
j0Pu2ix.jpg

37bVeVV.jpg

wl2xF1F.jpg

I'm not one to smooth out casting marks from cast iron, I believe it detracts from the age of the piece. I found a minute remnant of black paint, so that's the color I chose to paint it. 
dkWfMBg.jpg

Polished detail.
mjskTuy.jpg

aVAEPtA.jpg

MJAz0F3.jpg

The repair.
VhIhtjJ.jpg

:metal:
SR.

nmlarson said:
WOW!  That is stunning!  You're a master.  But, I'm still waiting to see the jewelry.  :rofl:
Thanks, unfortunately I am no jeweler............yet. :P

Ashen said:
Smaw or gmaw on that repair weld?

Either way good job, CI is a bitch to weld properly
I used a gasless MIG welder. I've only used it a handful of times so far but am really liking it. Here's a weld on a bench grinder pedestal I've been working on. 
UE2xQ6U.jpg

Yes, CI is a PITA to try and weld. I had to dial the power way down so I wouldn't melt the surrounding area. Luckily the repair was purely cosmetic, if it was in a stressed area, I couldn't see it lasting. 

SR.

I've had this 8" bench grinder for a while now, it works great. But me being me, I wasn't going to let it continue to look the way it did. 
7a2FC3x.jpg

Rr2iV1w.jpg

Although the rust looks superficial, it was the hardest to remove rust I've ever encountered. I ended up using a paint and rust remover disc on my 6" grinder. 
ptsZWc1.jpg

Brass nuts tell it's age, no one would use these nowadays. And yes, if there is brass, it must be polished 
.. :rofl: 
rf8NJY9.jpg

I also have a 6" bench grinder which is now mounted beside this one. Why two? So I can have grinding, polishing, buffing and wire wheels mounted full time.  :P

Bonus restoration: Vintage internal spring calipers. 

Before. 
lUrZMc8.jpg

Cleaned.
NqaNIxy.jpg

After. I re-blued to achieve a factory look.
438roVP.jpg

SR. :metal:

I picked up this vintage FDICK butcher's knife from a swap meet for a measly $10.
x03yeL3.jpg

3we5E3F.jpg

amA0lLe.jpg

Bonus bike I saw which I thought looked very cool.
VYU2w0D.jpg

I haven't been able to find much information on the knife anywhere online, but it is reasonably old from what I can tell. One thing that I'm still a little curious about is the "K" in the logo. On the vintage FDICK sharpening steel I own, and anywhere else online, the K is more pronounced, and less like a H.

It should restore nicely at any rate, stay tuned...... :metal:

Here is the end result of many, many hours of work. I honestly didn't realise how much work it would take to get the blade to this stage, needless to say I am rather pleased with how it turned out.
eQw3lUh.jpg

5R7VYwp.jpg

MTc5P2c.jpg

gCzzyPh.jpg

qXXWbfT.jpg

The color of the handle was a real surprise, it's a dark chocolate color. As it is in the pics, it has only been sanded and no oil or varnish of any kind has been applied. It feels so nice to hold as it is, I think I may only apply a thin coating of Tung oil to it.

:metal:

Ashen said:
That is a beautiful breaker. You are all set to butcher some meat now.

I wonder how it would look green?

I was doing some Googling obviously.

Now I am curious , what did you do to it to turn it green?

What do you mean by "Green"?

Back