• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Should I just cut the dying matter off these?

Having some serious issues with a couple plants of mine, and they decided they basically wanted to lose all their leaves, from bottom up. With no yellowing.

Regardless, in their current state, they're holding on to some dead leaves/stems, and I was wondering if I should just cut it off and save the plant some hassle?

http://imgur.com/3JA7CDF
http://imgur.com/NTG99dR

The original idea is that they either have/had overfert issues, or overwatering issues, so I repotted them in fresh soil, and they've been like this for a couple days now.

The leaves are basically being held on by a single strand of black stem or wrinkling/dying stem.

I'm wondering if I should save it some time, and maybe help it along if I cut the dying parts off? 

uh yeah that doesn't look good at all. the stems are still green so i guess they could come back but.... good luck with that

OKGrowin said:
uh yeah that doesn't look good at all. the stems are still green so i guess they could come back but.... good luck with that

Would it help to top it? The Reaper's stem is pretty strong, considering.

JesterJoker said:
looks like you killed it with light and or nutrient burn. What are you feeding/giving those for light source.

They had been on a window sill for weeks, getting the same amount of sunlight.

Then I hardened them off over a week, and they seemed great during the week I was hardening them off. They would droop outside and I'd bring them in and they'd pick up.

Then I gave them 1/2 a tablespoon of a 12-12-12 fertilizer, and I guess it overdid it. The fertilizer said to use a full tablespoon per plant, and I used 1/2 a tablespoon split between two plants.

The roots looked good when i transplanted them, so I was assuming they'd bounce back.

Wow..Hiroshima!         Best start again and lesson learned on ferts.     Just set them aside and watch while ya start some more.
Although I realize it may be kinda late in season to start depending where you are located.

Streamer said:
Wow..Hiroshima!         Best start again and lesson learned on ferts.     Just set them aside and watch while ya start some more.
Although I realize it may be kinda late in season to start depending where you are located.

Yeah, there's no chance I can regrow a plant this late in NY. I do have a couple other plants doing well, though.

I'm just hoping there is a possibility of them turning for the best. I have nothing else to do with the pots and soil anyway. The fatalli looks like it's really taken a turn for the worse. The main stem is now narrowing, and going black, so I'm pretty sure it's a goner, unfortunately. The Reaper's main stem is still really good and strong, except for the very top where it's narrowing with the last couple leaves on it.

Should I just top the narrowing part off?

Dude, start over, and just overwinter that plant.  Reapers take a long time to set fruit, and they are well worth it.  You wouldn't even have time during a full growing season to get Reaper pods, anyway, so you're going to HAVE to bring it in.  Don't give up...  You won't regret it, if you do it right the next time. ;)

I'm actually germinating a LOT of plants right now inside. It's way late for that for this season. My plan is to pick the pods off and just grow them and overwinter them. You might consider that :) I have some seeds I can share if you're interested in that.

I'd sow seeds again depending where you live but they may not mature before frost but you can winter them over and get a jump for your 2015 grow.

I know it's hard to put your beloved ones to sleep , so strip them, cut them back, and hope for new growth.

Good Luck

Spicy Mushroom said:
I'm actually germinating a LOT of plants right now inside. It's way late for that for this season. My plan is to pick the pods off and just grow them and overwinter them. You might consider that :) I have some seeds I can share if you're interested in that.
I'd be very interested, if you can spare some seeds. :D I really want to grow the Carolina Reaper and Fatalli again.

Valleyman said:
I'd sow seeds again depending where you live but they may not mature before frost but you can winter them over and get a jump for your 2015 grow.

I know it's hard to put your beloved ones to sleep , so strip them, cut them back, and hope for new growth.

Good Luck

Do you think trimming them down a little will help? At this point the Fatalli has really narrowed, and I think it's entirely gone, but the Reaper still has a thick and strong stem everywhere but the top, where it's thinned out a little bit right near the dead leaves.

For anything short of watering issues, you're not likely to get a young plant back while it's still green, and has been defoliated.  I know it hurts, but start bracing yourself for a do-over.  That plant has given up the ghost.

That is seriously dead. DOA! Burn it and start again. It looks like over watered and over fed. Sorry matey.

solid7 said:
For anything short of watering issues, you're not likely to get a young plant back while it's still green, and has been defoliated.  I know it hurts, but start bracing yourself for a do-over.  That plant has given up the ghost.

Eh, it's fine if it doesn't come back, but I figured I might as well give it a shot. I'm assuming the Fatalli, which is the one that is hanging over is entirely dead at this point. But the Carolina Reaper, while defoliated, still has a really strong, upright stem. That's the one I'm interested in saving, if at all possible.

heefy said:
That is seriously dead. DOA! Burn it and start again. It looks like over watered and over fed. Sorry matey.

Yeah the one on the right, the Fatalli, is pretty much a goner, which I expected. I'm curious about the reaper on the left, though. While it's defoliated, it still has a strong stem.

Back