• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Should I Pick These Chilies?

On Friday, I picked up a Thai Hot (at least, I think it's a hot and not an ornamental) that had been growing at my local garden center for a while. Since it wasn't shown much love, it's very tall, with no branches, and has a few chilies on top. I've plucked the flowers, but haven't yet been able to bring myself to take the six peppers that are growing. I know I should pluck 'em to encourage branching and root development in the wake of the repotting, but I need to hear someone else say it. 

I'm worried that with it being so late in the season, I will not get anything out of it before September/ October. 

If I do pluck 'em, should I top the thing down a bit to encourage a bushier plant? I'm thinking to the 5th leaf or so.

C2cRvAQ.png

OueIleY.png

You can see it next to my Anaheim (been growing that guy from a plant I bought in May) and the Ghost I picked up along with the Thai. Both need some loving to bulk 'em up. 

This has nothing to do with anything, but here's another shot of the Ghost taken prior to me plucking all of the flowers and pods:
Dj3Mtvs.png

And the whole family as of Friday:
Kr7Dq79.png

L->R: Anaheim, Jalapeno, Serrano, Ghost, and Thai. 

And here are some little Habaneros I'm growing since my other Hab plant died of blight. No idea what container(s) I'll use when the time comes. Will probably give some away locally, and then pinch off the weaklings. 
X50jXDv.png

regarding containers, go to the bakery section in your local supermarket. often times they have free buckets because they get their dough delivered in them and then they just throw em out

moruga welder said:
 might want to bump up the container size . quickly   
Thanks, I'm thinking of keeping this guy smaller, so that it's more manageable over winter. Might be a candidate for my first clone down the line for an ornamental/ bonchi 

BigB said:
regarding containers, go to the bakery section in your local supermarket. often times they have free buckets because they get their dough delivered in them and then they just throw em out

Good tip!  I was also able to get 5 gal pickle buckets from a sandwich shop and soy sauce buckets from a Chinese buffet.

Back