• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Should I start over?

I have little to nothing to show for the work so far. Looking back at my grow log , I started 14 different seeds from old and new sources in a dome dealio and have tried to keep the temps around 85f with good moisture. I began this on Feb 24th so I'm 43 days into it. I had two of my old 7 pods germinate in 10 days and newer sourced 7 pod germintaed in 25 days and they are out of the dome and cruising along . Other than that, nothing is going on in there.

Suggestions welcomed and thanks

Yeah, I'd say start over. There's a good chance at this point that either the seeds were not viable, or they picked up a nasty (like mold) once you got them going. To ensure you get rid of any nasties that might be lurking on the dry seeds, be sure to soak them in a mix of 10:1 water:hydrogen peroxide for a bit. I now always germinate seeds in a wet coffee filter in a plastic container, then as soon as the root starts to show, dump it into starter mix. That way I know, at a minimum, that the seed was good. If I didn't get rid of all the nasties first, though, nothing more may seem to happen from there. Yeah, sometimes I'm just excited about starting the seeds and somehow fail to give them the hydrogen peroxide soak first...... sigh!

it also depends on the variety of seed your germinating.. it seems like forever for my superhots to get going but they finally did they may surprise you and come up later its hard to say.

Yeah, don't give up, but at 43 days I'd highly recommend you start some new ones, too. You never know if some will be uber-stragglers, but after 3-4 weeks it's likely they're not going to pop.

Thanks guys... should I soak them in the 10:1 overnight? then back into fresh potting soil tomorrow? I used to have some rock wool cubes around here but I can't find them.

It doesn't have to be overnight, but it doesn't hurt - at some point the hydrogen peroxide loses it's oxygen and they're really just soaking in water.

I do not live in Atlanta, but it seems that you could harvest into Nov.? Plenty of time.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/30326

As long as the roots don't consistently get below 50F, the plants are perennials. So yes, you can feasibly harvest into November, depending upon the total grow conditions. I grow mine in pots, and bring them inside when it gets too cold, and have certainly pulled pods in October/November.

OK....

Bhuts from '08 , Moruga from two sources, Brown 7s, Yellow 7s, BS 7's, Douglahs, Primos, and Butch "T"s all soaking in 10:1 H2O to peroxide for the over night. New Organic seed starter and a new tray dome that I'll clean in the AM with a weak bleach solution.

Thanks all , will update

Harris, I would start more in an additonal set up. Now that our weather is getting better, put that one out in the sun. I'm sure a few more will pop. I have a ton of plants going and will not need all of them. You are more than welcome to some once i figure out what I'm keeping.

Plenty of douglahs for sure!

Harris, I would start more in an additonal set up. Now that our weather is getting better, put that one out in the sun. I'm sure a few more will pop. I have a ton of plants going and will not need all of them. You are more than welcome to some once i figure out what I'm keeping.

Plenty of douglahs for sure!

Mighty righty Growhead.... I 'll keep that in mind. I've only eaten older dried Douglah flakes and still yearn to grow fresh pods. Let me know when your sorted...

Back