• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Should my reapers be red by now?

I live in southeastern Massachusetts. I have several hot pepper varieties growing in 3-5 gallon pots, reapers, morugas, habs etc. I have a lot of big green pods, but it is mid September and they haven't turned red yet. The temps are slowly dropping overnight and I was worried they should be red by now. I was wondering what more experienced growers thought about this and what if anything I should do. This is my first year growing peppers and I have had a lot of questions. Thanks for any help.

As long as they're not diseased, they're just doin' their thing. As long as the weather cooperates, keep the plants outside and let them ripen. Once it gets too cold at night (consistently getting below 40F, or so at night), bring them in to finish. 

Thanks for the help. It has been much cooler lately....low to mid 50's overnight. I'm hoping for a change in color soon. The pods and plants look great, they just seem slow to ripen. It's only going to get colder around here.....

Back